The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 02, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Jump Stop video

I've read and re-read the rules and this forum...tried to duplicate jump stops myself at my local gym (when no one was looking...)....gathered the ball in air vs gathered ball with one foot on floor....landed on one foot vs two feet....and thought I might have a handle on the jump stop / travel situations .....until I watched a varsity boys game last night. After about 4 or 5 surprising travel calls.....I'm confused again.

Does anyone have links to videos of a 'good' jump stop moves and not so good / travel moves?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

One of the NCAA videos on eofficials.com is on the subject of traveling. It's not exactly what you are looking for but it is better than nothing.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cramer
I've read and re-read the rules and this forum...tried to duplicate jump stops myself at my local gym (when no one was looking...)....gathered the ball in air vs gathered ball with one foot on floor....landed on one foot vs two feet....and thought I might have a handle on the jump stop / travel situations .....until I watched a varsity boys game last night. After about 4 or 5 surprising travel calls.....I'm confused again.

Does anyone have links to videos of a 'good' jump stop moves and not so good / travel moves?
Carl it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of it. Remember about the gather in the air vs gather with one foot and you should be fine. If you gather in the air you are allowed to land with a one-two count rhythm. If you gather with one foot on the floor, you have to land with both feet simultaneously.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cramer
.....until I watched a varsity boys game last night. After about 4 or 5 surprising travel calls.....I'm confused again.
They might not have been good calls! I've had veterans tell me that you can tell a travel has occurred because "it didn't look right" - in other words, rather than try to technically be correct with the call, they whistle what 'looks odd'. I'm convinced that we all struggle with travel calls and face a decision about whether to put in extra work, like you are doing, so that we can make the call with confidence - or, we just decide to "avoid missing a call" by calling what "looks obvious", as in 'obviously odd'. Tape a game and review the calls you question.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
They might not have been good calls! I've had veterans tell me that you can tell a travel has occurred because "it didn't look right" - in other words, rather than try to technically be correct with the call, they whistle what 'looks odd'. I'm convinced that we all struggle with travel calls and face a decision about whether to put in extra work, like you are doing, so that we can make the call with confidence - or, we just decide to "avoid missing a call" by calling what "looks obvious", as in 'obviously odd'. Tape a game and review the calls you question.
Good point. Just because it looks odd doesn't mean that it is a travel. If it does look weird and you can't decide leave it alone! I think we at the high school level call too many walks that aren't there. We do exactly what jkjenning said. We think if it looks odd we should call it, which is totally what we shouldn't do.