The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 02:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
So, who heard him? Your partner? Given the level of the game, he may have had to listen to the remainder of the game on his car radio.
Without a doubt a flagrant T from me. (1) He yelled at a fan, (2) He used profanity in yelling at a fan. Two for the price of one.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 02:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
First game back after a long hiatus from officiating and my wife thought it would be fun to be there with the kids to support me (big mistake - at one point one of the kids turned to her and said "Mom - why's everyone yelling at dad?"). Anyway, she's sitting behind the boy's coach for Team A while the girls game is going on and someone sits down next to him and asks him how the officials are tonight. The coach's reply was "Old and older."

I got to know the coach over the next couple of seasons and told him that story after he had transitioned out of coaching to administration. He seemed really embarrassed by the statement but I assured him it was one of my favorites.
It's better than "Dumb and dumber."
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Coach yelling at fan

@26 Year gap- The court monitor overhead the comment, and told us after the game had ended. He is a part time employee of the YMCA(in conjunction with AAU) that is monitoring multiple court sites at one time and happened to overhear the comment.

Also, the flagrant technical foul, how would that play out differently than just a technical? I know I am not going to my rule book to get the formal answer, but I think that folks on this site explain the law, and the letter of the law, better than the book standing alone(I'll read my book soon). Does that kind of make sense? I am not disagreeing with your assessment at all, just curious the differences in the calls and how they will play out.

Appreciate all your help guys Everyday is a learning experience. Got torn to sheds for a horrid call tonight, JV girls. Totally deserved the crap that I got.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Also, the flagrant technical foul, how would that play out differently than just a technical?
Immediate ejection / DQ.

And, if the "court monitor" heard it, then the league can (likely) impose some after-the-fact penalty on the coach, if they so desire.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Also, the flagrant technical foul, how would that play out differently than just a technical? I know I am not going to my rule book to get the formal answer, but I think that folks on this site explain the law, and the letter of the law, better than the book standing alone(I'll read my book soon). Does that kind of make sense? I am not disagreeing with your assessment at all, just curious the differences in the calls and how they will play out.
Why *wouldn't* you look it up rather than tell us "I'm not going to the rule book"?

How can you work without even making an attempt at knowing the rules?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Why *wouldn't* you look it up rather than tell us "I'm not going to the rule book"?

How can you work without even making an attempt at knowing the rules?
You mean we gotta know the rules now? The coaches don't know them, why should we have to?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

At a game I was watching, when the official granted a timeout a fan yells, "Good call ref, at least you got that one that right" or something along those lines.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

@RichMSN
Maybe that came off the wrong way. The rule book is important. I've been going to it over and over to clarify things an try to get better. It's a must. It's even more a must when you are this new

What I meant was that I was going to ask the question and review the rule at a separate time(it was late, and I was headed to bed when I wrote that last post). I've noticed that guys with a lot of experience will add tidbits of information to a rule, that may not be as clear if you were just reading the rule book directly. I think of this forum as the living "case book".
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 08:41pm
I miss being on the floor

Made a PC foul call tonight, and as I'm jogging back, a fan of the offended team says "Good call blue, it takes a big man to make that call"

No, I didn't have the wrong shirt on, and I'm all of 5'6", shorter than 90% of the freshman basketball players in Illinois.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

When a fan pulls the one about having found your cell phone because it has so many missed calls, tell them they're right and insist they give you the phone. If they don't, ask them why not, since they just told everyone it was your phone. In fact, you can say that if they don't give you the phone, you'll call the police and have them arrested for theft. Then, after they just act stunned, tell them it must be their phone, which is what you thought anyway since they're the one who must be missing all those calls.

No - I've never done this but I've been tempted.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A flagrant also may come with other league-imposed sanctions that include future games.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 11:00am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
At a game I was watching, when the official granted a timeout a fan yells, "Good call ref, at least you got that one that right" or something along those lines.
Typical of a moron who would be lucky to get a 50 on any rules test and whose most dominant call if he were on the floor would be 3 seconds.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 03:09pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Typical of a moron who would be lucky to get a 50 on any rules test and whose most dominant call if he were on the floor would be 3 seconds.
. . . or "Over the Back!"
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Reminds me of a scrimmage I worked on Tuesday. It was 3 JV girls games and my partner called about 14 3-second violations -- once when I couldn't find a single A player in the lane. I think I did call one myself, but I can't be overly sure.

I get the purpose of the rule and I'm happy to call it when warranted, but it's not like I'm standing there with my six-shooter out every time down the floor looking to call one.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 04:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The other night my P's and I were sitting on the sidelines watching the last of the JV scrimmage before our game. Out of the corner of my eye I see a tennis ball come rolling onto the court while the teams were shooting foul shots at the other end. I go on the court and retrieve it and turn to find its owner.

There's a little boy and his friend looking at me. I looked at him faux sternly, and said, "Is this yours?"

He looked at me for a few seconds, turns into the stands and points and says, "My brother threw it."

I look up, and see his brother, hiding behind his dad. His dad was just shaking his head.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

Yep, about 5 yrs old and he throws his brother right under the bus.

A good one for me this early in the season.