Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 06:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The other night my P's and I were sitting on the sidelines watching the last of the JV scrimmage before our game. Out of the corner of my eye I see a tennis ball come rolling onto the court while the teams were shooting foul shots at the other end. I go on the court and retrieve it and turn to find its owner.

There's a little boy and his friend looking at me. I looked at him faux sternly, and said, "Is this yours?"

He looked at me for a few seconds, turns into the stands and points and says, "My brother threw it."

I look up, and see his brother, hiding behind his dad. His dad was just shaking his head.

I couldn't help but chuckle.

Yep, about 5 yrs old and he throws his brother right under the bus.

A good one for me this early in the season.
I once picked up something off the floor for a game following mine, and got an incredulous look from one of the officials. So, what goes on the floor stays on the floor if I am a spectator.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 06:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
[QUOTE=RichMSN;799952]Reminds me of a scrimmage I worked on Tuesday. It was 3 JV girls games and my partner called about 14 3-second violations -- once when I couldn't find a single A player in the lane. I think I did call one myself, but I can't be overly sure.

I get the purpose of the rule and I'm happy to call it when warranted, but it's not like I'm standing there with my six-shooter out every time down the floor looking to call one.[/QUOTE]

Maverick.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2011, 07:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Thanx for Waking a Bad Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The other night my P's and I were sitting on the sidelines watching the last of the JV scrimmage before our game. Out of the corner of my eye I see a tennis ball come rolling onto the court while the teams were shooting foul shots at the other end. I go on the court and retrieve it and turn to find its owner.
Won't bore you with the thing that looked like a tootsie roll I picked up three years ago and the thing that looked like a small folded white dinner napkin a partner I was mentoring picked up last year -- both at the same local school's gym...you've heard it before.
I'm careful to let game management pick stuff up from the floor now.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2011, 02:16pm
MABO Member

Had a guy yell out to me to "take my glasses off, I was making too many calls"!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2011, 11:59pm
Back from the DL

A few years ago, I worked a JV boys tournament.

A-1 is trying to save a ball from going out a bounds. He jumps, gets a hand on the ball, and unintentionally fires a perfect laser right into B-2's egg-sack.

B-2 drops to the floor and cries out in agony. Everyone else freezes, as the ball cruelly takes a few seconds to slowly roll back out of bounds. (In hindsight, I probably could have hit my whistle sooner.) I check on B-2 about ten minutes later, who says he's fine, although still reeling a bit.

Two weeks later, I see School B's varsity coach, and ask him about B-2. He laughs and says he's fine. I ask if anyone recorded the game.

"Oh yeah," the coach says. "His dad runs that part back four or five times every day!"