The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

flagrant 2 contact technical foul during live ball?

(NCAAW rules) Airborne shooter A1 excessively swings elbow into the face of B1. Is this a flagrant 2 contact personal foul or a flagrant 2 contact technical foul that occurred during a live ball? Seems like it should be "personal" but Rule 4.29.3 cites an exception:

Flagrant 2 technical foul. A flagrant 2 technical foul can be either contact or non-contact.

1. A flagrant 2 contact technical foul occurs when the ball is dead and the contact is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.

a. An exception may be a foul committed by an airborne shooter.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Remember, the airborne exception allows us in NF and NCAA-W to call a player control foul on an airborne shooter even if the ball is dead by rule...a dunk, and while the player is coming down to the ground, and the airborne shooter commits a foul. Technically, the ball is dead after the made basket, and if we didn't have this exception, then the airborne shooter could foul/or be fouled and the only route we could go is intentional/flagrant technical (FF1/FF2).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
(NCAAW rules) Airborne shooter A1 excessively swings elbow into the face of B1. Is this a flagrant 2 contact personal foul or a flagrant 2 contact technical foul that occurred during a live ball? Seems like it should be "personal" but Rule 4.29.3 cites an exception:

Flagrant 2 technical foul. A flagrant 2 technical foul can be either contact or non-contact.

1. A flagrant 2 contact technical foul occurs when the ball is dead and the contact is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme.

a. An exception may be a foul committed by an airborne shooter.

There is nothing changed about the rule, other than the name. This is FF2 personal and she is ejected. You're overthinking this.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
There is nothing changed about the rule, other than the name. This is FF2 personal and she is ejected. You're overthinking this.
While I agree, I think the definition of F2P says "while the ball is live." Period. No exceptions listed.

And, it's unclear exactly what the exception in F2T is referring to.

I got both questions on my test. Still trying to decide how to answer them.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While I agree, I think the definition of F2P says "while the ball is live." Period. No exceptions listed.

And, it's unclear exactly what the exception in F2T is referring to.

I got both questions on my test. Still trying to decide how to answer them.
I believe the exception is explained in A.R. 101 in the case book:

(Women) Is it possible for airborne shooter A1 to commit a foul that would not be a player-control foul?
RULING: Yes. The airborne shooter could be charged with a personal foul, a flagrant 1 personal foul, a flagrant 2 personal foul or with a flagrant 2 noncontact technical foul. None of these fouls can be a player-control foul. When an airborne shooter commits a foul that is not a player-control foul, the infraction shall be penalized as dictated by the type of foul.
(Rule 4-29.2.a.1.b)

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

The AR says there are four possible fouls by an airborne shooter that are not player control:
  • personal foul
  • flagrant 1 personal foul
  • flagrant 2 personal foul
  • flagrant 2 non-contact technical foul
The test question asks if a flagrant 2 contact technical foul can occur during a live ball.

That is not one of the four options listed in the AR. I am still trying to figure out why the exception exists. If the player dunks the ball (now the ball is dead) and then commits a flagrant 2 foul (kicks someone in the head; excessive elbow to the face....whatever you can envision to be "not only excessive, but also severe or extreme"), why do we need the exception for an airborne shooter? Flagrant contact during a dead ball is a technical foul. The rule just told us that.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The AR says there are four possible fouls by an airborne shooter that are not player control:
  • personal foul
  • flagrant 1 personal foul
  • flagrant 2 personal foul
  • flagrant 2 non-contact technical foul
The test question asks if a flagrant 2 contact technical foul can occur during a live ball.

That is not one of the four options listed in the AR. I am still trying to figure out why the exception exists. If the player dunks the ball (now the ball is dead) and then commits a flagrant 2 foul (kicks someone in the head; excessive elbow to the face....whatever you can envision to be "not only excessive, but also severe or extreme"), why do we need the exception for an airborne shooter? Flagrant contact during a dead ball is a technical foul. The rule just told us that.
Contact fouls by an airborne shooter are personal fouls due to the exception.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Contact fouls by an airborne shooter are personal fouls due to the exception.
So if the action is not flagrant, we have a player control foul.

Since it is flagrant, but the ball is dead, we have a flagrant 2 personal foul, but not a flagrant 2 technical foul?

So why not put the exception with the rule for Flagrant 2 personal foul...and say it is during a live ball....except when the foul is committed by an airborne shooter?

Other than getting the answer correct on the exam, the only practical application is who shoots the free throws: the player who was fouled vs. any eligible player (or sub)?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if the action is not flagrant, we have a player control foul.

Since it is flagrant, but the ball is dead, we have a flagrant 2 personal foul, but not a flagrant 2 technical foul?

So why not put the exception with the rule for Flagrant 2 personal foul...and say it is during a live ball....except when the foul is committed by an airborne shooter?

Other than getting the answer correct on the exam, the only practical application is who shoots the free throws: the player who was fouled vs. any eligible player (or sub)?
Change the order of thinking....

Contact foul...

Live ball or by/on an airborne shooter during a dead ball => Personal

Other dead ball => technical

Then determine the severity....."normal", F1 or F2....noting that "normal" contact during a dead ball and NOT by/on an airborne shooter is ignored.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with this.

And, there are two quesions (at least) on the test:

A Flagrant 2 Contact T can occur during a live ball (I have False)

A Flagrant 2 Personal can occur during a dead ball (I have True).

I'm "sure" those are the correct interps -- but they (especially the latter) don't seem to quite jibe with the written rule.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree with this.

And, there are two quesions (at least) on the test:

A Flagrant 2 Contact T can occur during a live ball (I have False)

A Flagrant 2 Personal can occur during a dead ball (I have True).

I'm "sure" those are the correct interps -- but they (especially the latter) don't seem to quite jibe with the written rule.
You might want to reconsider one of your answers.

The reality, though, is that one of them is correct (a Flagrant 2 contact technical foul can only be during a dead ball) and one is not -- despite the language of the definition: "A flagrant 2 personal foul (occurs) while the ball is live."

The exception for the flagrant 2 contact technical is, indeed, misplaced.

When an airborne shooter commits a flagrant foul after the ball is dead (as after a dunk, but before returning to the floor), the exception says that is not a technical foul. But it is a flagrant personal foul for contact during a dead ball, which Rule 29-2.6.d says is not possible.

I think the test wants an "exact knowledge" of the printed definition.

Last edited by BayStateRef; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 10:37am.