The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I once had a clinician explain it this way - "When you get change back at a store do they give you two-five cents or twenty-five cents?" That cleared it up but also speaks to what people are expecting to hear, especially at the scorer's table.

As has been said, though, do as they do/expect in your part of the world and there shouldn't be an issue.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I read somewhere that we should report numbers by saying thirty-two instead of three-two (while showing the numbers), in order to eliminate confusion for the scorekeeper.

To me, that presents an equal amount of potential for confusion. Plus it sounds awkward saying "thurr" while displaying a 1, and "teen" while displaying a three.

Tonight I tried this in my junior high games..."White Thirty Two. Three-two". Only displayed the numbers when I said the "Three-Two".

Check your local listings kind of thing or is there something that works best for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Thirty two.

A scorer doesn't look for 3-2 or 1-3 in the book. He looks for 32 or 13.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It's on page three of this season's NFHS Preseason Guide.

The NFHS instruction is to say "twenty-four," not "two-four".
In the Introduction of the NFHS 2011-2012 Basketball Officials Manual, under heading 0.2 2011-13 Mechanics Points of Emphasas, it is stated in the third paragraph:

When verbalizing a two-digit number, say the full number, not the two parts.

I am so used to hearing the full number being said when reported, unless of course the scorer is giving a deer in the headlights look.

The other thing mentioned is that when reporting a two-digit number, not to spin your hand around to report the second number.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Those Were The Days My Friend, I'd Thought They'd Never End ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Do you still have the T administer FTs to the FT shooter?
BktBallRef: Man, do you have a great memory. That change was made when IAABO was still using the NFHS mechanics manual, so we changed when everybody else did. I can't even remember how we did it back then. Did the trail just administer the first shot, or was it all shots?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, Got Two Dimes For A Nickel ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
When you get change back at a store do they give you two-five cents or twenty-five cents?
They usually just give me a quarter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 07:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Convert!?

When I first started I was taught to say one-two (vice twelve). Then I went to games and training and watched the senior officials in my association and changed.

Hey, when in Rome.....
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 12:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
When I first started I was taught to say one-two (vice twelve). Then I went to games and training and watched the senior officials in my association and changed.

Hey, when in Rome.....
Me too.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They usually just give me a quarter.
As I was typing that I was thinking I might want to use two-three, er, twenty-three cents as an example.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Not Talking About The Breakfast Of Champions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Twenty-three cents as an example.
If the cashier gives me twenty-three cents change, then I'm going to hitch up my belt to keep my pants from falling down. I'll check for "Wheaties" as soon as get home.

Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 04:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Here in my little corner of 100% IAABO Connecticut, where we use IAABO, not NFHS mechanics, we report, "Three. Two". We've been doing it that way for over thirty years. That doesn't make it right, or wrong, it's just the way we do it. "When in Rome ...".

JRutledge: I certainly agree 100% with your first statement, however I do have a slight problem with your second statement. According to Nevadaref's post, those states, and associations, that adhere to NFHS mechanics, and I realize that there are states, and associations, that don't, it appears that there is a "right way", according to the NFHS.
I was in VT for my first 6 seasons back. It is an IAABO state. "Thirty-two", not "three, two", was the law of the land.
Which is what we do here in FL. And is in the officiating manual.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 04:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
BktBallRef: Man, do you have a great memory. That change was made when IAABO was still using the NFHS mechanics manual, so we changed when everybody else did. I can't even remember how we did it back then. Did the trail just administer the first shot, or was it all shots?
All shots. Then we kept the shots to be taken visible. For a one-and-one, we would count with our trail finger wagging up and down. Then we had a quick up with the hand after the release so we could chop in time. Before the gap, of course.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

3-2. If you say, "thirty-two", what do you say for 14? "Four-teen?" To me, that would cause more confusion than 1-4. Also, what about 00?

I have been doing 3-2 for almost 25 years and never had any table person with a problem related to that. If they didn't hear me, they weren't going to hear thirty two either.

I have to wonder if those writing these manuals saying "thirty-two" have ever actually officiated.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sat Oct 22, 2011 at 04:56pm.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intent And Purpose ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
"Thirty-two", not "three, two", was the law of the land. Which is what we do here in FL. And is in the officiating manual.
IAABO manual? My IAABO manual just says to "state the color and number". Now, technically, you may be correct, three two is not a number, just two numerals, whereas thirty-two is an actual number. But is it the intent of IAABO to demand that we state an actual number, or do they leave it up to the individual boards?

I would love to get an interpretation of this "mechanic" from Peter Webb, the IAABO "international" interpreter. Last season he observed all the state finals, boys, and girls, eight games, here in Connecticut, where three two is the "law of the land". He had a lot of constructive criticism for our guys: calling outside of primary coverage areas, passing on free throw violations, hit and run reporting of fouls, not using the stop clock signal, and not visibly showing all counts that need to be visible, but he didn't mention our guys reporting the numbers incorrectly.

Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
3-2. If you say, "thirty-two", what do you say for 14? "Four-teen?" To me, that would cause more confusion than 1-4. Also, what about 00?

I have been doing 3-2 for almost 25 years and never had any table person with a problem related to that. If they didn't hear me, they weren't going to hear thirty two either.

I have to wonder if those writing these manuals saying "thirty-two" have ever actually officiated.
Totally agree. Probably not on the last comment.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 09:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I've done it both ways. For the first half of my career, I did individual digits. Bktballref then convinced me that reporting the number meant a number, not individual digits. I haven't had any significant problems with either approach. If you speak clearly and give strong signals, it probably doesn't matter which way you do it.

But just so I can say I'm following the manual, I now say "twenty-five", rather than "two-five".
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I read somewhere that we should report numbers by saying thirty-two instead of three-two (while showing the numbers), in order to eliminate confusion for the scorekeeper.
Could it have been this year's NFHS Preseason Guide, page 3?

"When verbalizing a two-digit number, say the full number, not the two parts. For example, a foul on number 24 should be said, "Blue twenty-four," not Blue, two-four."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Also, what about 00?
From the same Guide: "When giving a number combination like 22, give a distinct pause between the numbers so the scorer doesn't get confused."

Nuf Sed for the NFHS guidance.

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Oct 23, 2011 at 11:05am.