The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A couple people have asked about my game yesterday. I worked a D3 conference tournament first round game. It was the 2-seed vs. 7-seed. I worked with two very experienced officials, a D1 official and a former D1 official. I was very obviously the "junior" official the game.

The first half was extremely well-played, very close score. At halftime, the home team was up by 6 and the crowd was stunned. They're used to seeing 15-point halftime leads, but the visitors were playing extremely hard. The second half was anti-climactic, as the home team hit 2 3-pointers to open the lead to 10 and never looked back. It ended up being about a 22-point win.

I felt like I did a very credible job. A couple of things that I kicked myself for: from the C, I reached way out of my area and called a borderline foul right in front of the L. Normally, maybe not so bad, except the play was spinning right to him, so he had a great look. I should've laid off. That's one that I wanted back.

First half, I was C, right in front of defense's bench. A1 makes a quick move, where he probably made an illegal "shuffle" of the pivot foot before starting the dribble. It was so quick, I'm pretty sure I missed it. A1 cut around B1 and was tripped by B2 in the lane. Somebody on this board wrote recently, "Never let a player travel into a foul", and I think that's exactly what I did. Needless to say, defensive coach was not happy.

I called a shooting foul, but I didn't have a good look at the shooter's feet, so I indicated two shots. Partner came to me and said it was definitely a 3. I just didn't see it. Grrrrrr.

As Lead, I initiated a rotation, and just as I got halfway across the lane, the kid drove to the basket. He missed the shot and we were off to the races the other way. I finished crossing the lane, but neither partner had rotated with me, so in transition, I slid back to the other side. I'm still not completely comfortable with initiating rotation.

Other than that, I felt pretty good about my game. The "coach's comment" of the game came in the first half, when it was still a very tight ballgame. A1 shoots a 3-pointer from the top of the key. He is leaning backwards, away from B1 and as he lands, there is very minor contact between A1 and B1. A1 falls backwards on his butt. Coach A screams that I'm not "protecting my shooters". I pointed at the floor and said "He was already back to the floor", when the contact occured. Coach A says, "This is going to be a short post-season for you, Chuck!" I almost laughed, considering that my post-season was 40 minutes longer than I ever expected it to be!

Anyway, overall a positive experience to finish up my college season. Good luck to everyone else who is working a post-season game this week or next!

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Funny side note

One of the teams has the nickname "Ephs" (pronouned "eefs"). One of the other officials asked a player what an Eph is. The kid says "I don't know", shrugging his shoulders. So he asked the next player in the layup line. The kid says, "It's a kind of cow". Next kid agrees, "I think he's right. It's a cow". Next kid just didn't know.

So when we go to shake hands, the official asks the head coach what an Eph is. The coach told us that it's short for the school founder's first name, Ephraim. The team is named after the founder. But the players didn't even know what their name meant. I thought that was hysterical.

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 02:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

The team is named after the founder. But the players didn't even know what their name meant. I thought that was hysterical.
Still haven't installed that humor plug-in yet,eh?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Interesting, Chuck. Thanks.
And, you were probably harder on yourself than anyone else.
You looked great from U.P. here !

...The Ephs thing? Like JR said. That wasn't funny.

So, when does the warning buzzer sound on a 30?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ephs, huh?

Yeah, that's hilarious.

Please stop, I can't take anymore.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Good lord, I'd take the "Eph"s any time. As for our local high schoolers, they have the honor to proudly exclaim, "We are the purple, lost, motherless, baby cows!" Yes! We are the Mighty Dogies!!
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Chuck- what game was this - was it televised? one or two incidents sound fmailiar to a game I was watching last night on ESPN
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Way cool! Was there at least one thing that was terrific? One little brag? I'm sure there was, so why not let us all in on it? It's hard to get that vicarious thrill over missed calls, and botched rotations. And I know you wouldn't have been there at all if you weren't pretty darn close to perfect.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

No kidding...

Don't be so hard on yourself.

I saw a game on TV today where there were at least seven foul calls where the official was WAY WAY out of his primary. Four of them were Leads calling across the paint!

Sounds like you did fine!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Sorry to disappoint, but my game was not televised, nor did anything sensational happen. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was that the nets were a little tight and we had a dunk bounce back up out of the basket and then back down through. Fortunately, the dunker's hand was no longer in contact with the rim when it came back down.

Chuck