The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 11:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Game Report

Here is a report from a game tonight. Stuff in curly brackets have the actual data removed for privacy reasons.

Hi {Assignor} & {President},

Here's a game report that I need to submit.

Tournament: {host club and division}
Game Venue: {name of high school}
Game Time: 7:30pm

Referee: {JugglingReferee's partner}
Umpire: {JugglingReferee}

Home Team: {one team} (Gold jerseys)
Visiting Team: {another team} (Blue jerseys)

During the second half, a foul was called on Blue #8 during rebounding action. After a short pause, {JugglingReferee's partner} reported the foul by Blue #8 and started to walk to the new throw-in spot.

Gold #15 did not like the agreesive nature that Blue #8 did, at which point Gold #15 approached Blue #8 and initiated contact by chest-pushing Blue #8. Blue #8 immediately retaliated (almost simultaneously) with a two-handed push to Gold #15. I came running in to separate the players and prevent further chaos. I verbalized a double technical foul. At this time, a parent from the crowd came onto the court. Other parents were trying to help him back, but he managed to barely step onto the court.

With Gold #15 and Blue #8 now apart, {JugglingReferee's partner} and I thought that everything had ended. We started to continue the game with me about to report the double technical foul, but Gold #15 went after Blue #8 again and did another chest-bump. I got between them again, prevented Blue #8 from retaliating, and motioned that Gold #15 was ejected. The parent again came onto the court unattended and I approached him, told him that "he is gone" and pointed to the hallway. Other parents came again to get this parent under control. {JugglingReferee's partner} properly handled the players on the court while I watched this parent until he had left the gym. During this melee, the Blue coach came onto the court to help get this players under control and over towards his bench area.

During the time that this parent (parent #1) came onto the court a second time, another parent (parent #2) from the opposite team stood up, and onto the out-of-bounds line at the opposite end of the court and loudly expressed his displeasure to parent #1 and that the ejected parent should "divert his attention to me". I did not eject parent #2 as he did not enter the court, and having them both in the hallway would not be a positive mix.

It should be said that parent #1 is black, as is Blue #8. Parent #2, who voiced displeasure loudly, is white, as is Gold #15. Parent #2 also had the same body build as Gold #15, so I concluded that these parents are male figures in these boy's lives.

I reported the 3 fouls to the table: offsetting technical fouls charged to Gold #15 and Blue #8. I then reported a disqualifying foul charged to Gold #15. We continued the game with 2 free throws for Blue, along with their throw-in at the division line.

If you have any questions about the situation, please feel free to contact me. (E-mail is best.)

JugglingReferee

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 12:04am. Reason: forgot the blue not
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Here is a report from a game tonight. Stuff in curly brackets have the actual data removed for privacy reasons.

Hi {Assignor} & {President},

Here's a game report that I need to submit.

Tournament: {host club and division}
Game Venue: {name of high school}
Game Time: 7:30pm

Referee: {JugglingReferee's partner}
Umpire: {JugglingReferee}

Home Team: {one team} (Gold jerseys)
Visiting Team: {another team} (Blue jerseys)

During the second half, a foul was called on Blue #8 during rebounding action. After a short pause, {JugglingReferee's partner} reported the foul by Blue #8 and started to walk to the new throw-in spot.

Gold #15 did not like the agressive nature that Blue #8 did, at which point Gold #15 approached Blue #8 and initiated contact by chest-pushing Blue #8. Blue #8 immediately retaliated (almost simultaneously) with a two-handed push to Gold #15. I came running in to separate the players and prevent further chaos. I verbalized a double technical foul. At this time, a parent from the crowd came onto the court. Other parents were trying to help him back, but he managed to barely step onto the court.

With Gold #15 and Blue #8 now apart, {JugglingReferee's partner} and I thought that everything had ended. We started to continue the game with me about to report the double technical foul, but Gold #15 went after Blue #8 again and did another chest-bump. I got between them again, prevented Blue #8 from retaliating, and motioned that Gold #15 was ejected.

[long and sad story about parents omitted ]

I reported the 3 fouls to the table: offsetting technical fouls charged to Gold #15 and Blue #8. I then reported a disqualifying foul charged to Gold #15. We continued the game with 2 free throws for Blue, along with their throw-in at the division line.

If you have any questions about the situation, please feel free to contact me. (E-mail is best.)

JugglingReferee
The fouls are not technical (assuming you were under FIBA rules), since they were contact fouls. It makes no difference about the penalties, but Blue #8 should have attempted the free throws. There is no such thing as a double technical foul in FIBA rules; the two penalties offset, anyway, since both fouls are to be judged as unsportsmanlike.

You were correct not assessing a penalty to the coach, since during a fight, or when a fight is possible, the coach can come into the court in order to help officials to maintain order.

Of course, if Blue team was in team penalty situation (after the 4th team foul in the period), the offended Gold player should have had 2 FT before the free throws for Blue #8.

Ciao
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

The contact fouls Jug refers to took place during a dead ball. Still not technicals under FIBA? Wow.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The contact fouls Jug refers to took place during a dead ball. Still not technicals under FIBA? Wow.
I think FIBA's approach to fouls is different from US codes - some in philosophy, some in name.

eg-italy is correct when I should have reported them as unsportsmanlike fouls. 2 unsportsmanlike fouls is an ejection, just like 2 technical fouls are and ejection.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think FIBA's approach to fouls is different from US codes - some in philosophy, some in name.

eg-italy is correct when I should have reported them as unsportsmanlike fouls. 2 unsportsmanlike fouls is an ejection, just like 2 technical fouls are and ejection.
There's no automatic ejection after two player's technical fouls in FIBA. That's only for two U fouls or two C technical fouls on the coach (or a mix of three B and C fouls on the coach). For example, a T for delay of game and a T for complaining do not necessarily warrant ejection, which is left to the official's discretion.

@mbyron: A dead ball contact can be a personal foul. Just a different perspective; for example, you don't have to distinguish when the ball has entered the basket or not when players foul going for rebound.

Ciao
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
There's no automatic ejection after two player's technical fouls in FIBA. That's only for two U fouls or two C technical fouls on the coach (or a mix of three B and C fouls on the coach). For example, a T for delay of game and a T for complaining do not necessarily warrant ejection, which is left to the official's discretion.

@mbyron: A dead ball contact can be a personal foul. Just a different perspective; for example, you don't have to distinguish when the ball has entered the basket or not when players foul going for rebound.

Ciao
36.2.3 A player shall be disqualified when he is charged with two (2) unsportsmanlike fouls.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Why did you include the information about the color of the skin of some of those involved? Was race a factor?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
36.2.3 A player shall be disqualified when he is charged with two (2) unsportsmanlike fouls.
Where is the analogous rule regarding two technical fouls? (Hint: don't browse the rulebook, there isn't such a rule.)

That's exactly what I said: the second U implies ejection; similarly two C fouls (or a mix of three B or C fouls) imply ejection of the coach. There's no provision for automatically eject a player after two T. U and T are different things.

Ciao
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 02:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Why did you include the information about the colour of the skin of some of those involved? Was race a factor?
Race is never a factor with me. If you've gotten the idea that it is, then you've become misinformed about me somehow.

The governing authority of basketball in Ontario takes very seriously acts that are deemed unsportsmanlike. There is even a code of conduct posted at every single gym, and the instruction from the provincial body is zero tolerance. And that means everyone involved: coaches, players, parents, and even officials. Furthermore, acts such as a parent coming onto the court could very well be escalated to a involve a more severe penalty.

I certainly have no authority to demand identification in case I need to provide input should the governing body request it. Therefore, I provided information that seemed most logical to me.

If I was a parent of the Blue organization, I would demand that something be done surrounding this incident. If a parent can come onto the court and only be penalized by an ejection by the referees, then how much confidence would I have in the organization keeping themselves to be respectable? That's just my take, of course.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I must admit that I was struck too by you mentioning the color of skin/race of the two parents. It's not necessary IMHO, you could have easily said, "I believe parent 1 was blue's parent and 2 was gold's parent."

Where was game management? This certainly shouldn't have happened once, let alone twice.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
I must admit that I was struck too by you mentioning the color of skin/race of the two parents. It's not necessary IMHO, you could have easily said, "I believe parent 1 was blue's parent and 2 was gold's parent."

Where was game management? This certainly shouldn't have happened once, let alone twice.
GM was there. GM was a gentleman much smaller than parent #1. He would not have been able to hold the offender back, if that was his course of action. The whole thing happened so fast, that he likely was shocked by it all.

I suppose I could have left out how I determined which parent was which. However, there was no discrimination on my part, so I don't see the big deal.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I believe that you meant nothing and you were just trying to justify your rationale for determining fatherhood, but consider your audience and that they may read into it differently than you intended.

As far as GM, they must be ready to react to these situations quickly and often there are other staff members that can help, obviously parents nearby were reacting faster than GM was. Wish individuals who are GM would read this forum and see their importance and to be ready in these types of situations.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:30pm

Quote:
I believe that you meant nothing and you were just trying to justify your rationale for determining fatherhood, but consider your audience and that they may read into it differently than you intended.
Point taken.

Quote:
As far as GM, they must be ready to react to these situations quickly and often there are other staff members that can help, obviously parents nearby were reacting faster than GM was. Wish individuals who are GM would read this forum and see their importance and to be ready in these types of situations.
I agree that GM should be the type of person who isn't afraid to act when necessary and then actually act.

The parents already know this parent, whereas GM doesn't. Maybe the other parents know what this parent is like.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Have You Even Heard About Rodney King In Canada ???

Quote:
I suppose I could have left out how I determined which parent was which. However, there was no discrimination on my part, so I don't see the big deal.
No big deal for most people. You were just trying to use physical characteristics of the parents, and of the players, in case you had to come up with the names of the parents later on. If one of the parents had three eyes, and one of the players had three eyes, then none of us would have any problem with you putting that in your report. Let's move on. "Eh?". Happy Flag Day Canuck.

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids? It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out" (Rodney King, 1992)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 03:40pm.