The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Nearest the spot where the violation occurred.
And for a shot clock violation, exactly where does the violation occur? The location of the shooter, the rim, or the ball?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And for a shot clock violation, exactly where does the violation occur? The location of the shooter, the rim, or the ball?
I seem to recall that there's a case indicating the inbounds spot is the endline. That said, it's too early for me to get out my books and look myself.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thought I would throw this in: The shot-clock horn does not stop play unless recognized by an official’s whistle.

Say a player attempts a three point field goal from half court, and the shot clock horn sounds in mid flight. We wait to see if the ball hits the basket, or goes in. If it doesn't, does it make sense to give the ball to the other team at half court?

So I say this situation should be handled with a throw in on the baseline. As the violation occurred when the ball did not hit the basket, or go in. Therefore nearest the spot would be the baseline.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thought I would throw this in: The shot-clock horn does not stop play unless recognized by an official’s whistle.

Say a player attempts a three point field goal from half court, and the shot clock horn sounds in mid flight. We wait to see if the ball hits the basket, or goes in. If it doesn't, does it make sense to give the ball to the other team at half court?

So I say this situation should be handled with a throw in on the baseline. As the violation occurred when the ball did not hit the basket, or go in. Therefore nearest the spot would be the baseline.
I believe esteemed members disagree.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I believe esteemed members disagree.
How? I thought about it so hard! Obviously not hard enough. He$# it sounded alright to me. Oh by the way, who is considered esteemed? I have always wanted to ask

Last edited by NCHSAA; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 09:07pm.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 09:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
How? I thought about it so hard! Obviously not hard enough.
Think about this question: Where is the ball located when the violation occurs?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Physically at the basket, technically at the location of the shooter?
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Anybody have a case play? I'm more confused now than when I originally asked the question
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Does that matter? (I think the throw in is at the spot of the violation, not the ball location at the time of the violation, but I don't have my books here.)

The violation is not for "failing to release a shot" but for "the ball not hitting the ring". So, the spot of the violation is the ring.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Does that matter? (I think the throw in is at the spot of the violation, not the ball location at the time of the violation, but I don't have my books here.)

The violation is not for "failing to release a shot" but for "the ball not hitting the ring". So, the spot of the violation is the ring.
I'm not sure that is correct.

What if the defense had deflected the ball into the backcourt such that the ball was in the backcourt paint. It doesn't seem correct that you'd make the throwin spot 75' from the location of the ball.

The violation is for failing to release the shot such that it subsequently hits the rim.

I think the logical place for the violation is the location of the ball....not the rim.

Note, this is a logical POV, I've not investigated the actual rule yet.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt heave with a second on the shot clock...ball fails to hit the rim. I'd venture to say that 999/1000 officials have the throw-in spot on the endline rather than in the backcourt.

This may be a case where it may be technically correct to put it where the shooter shot it (and I'm not convinced of even that) but by practice, you're wrong.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 01:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Backcourt heave with a second on the shot clock...ball fails to hit the rim. I'd venture to say that 999/1000 officials have the throw-in spot on the endline rather than in the backcourt.

This may be a case where it may be technically correct to put it where the shooter shot it (and I'm not convinced of even that) but by practice, you're wrong.
Which was my point earlier. I've never had a game where it was brought back to the spot of the shot. It's always whistled dead once the ball hits the ground or someone catches it.

Which takes us to the next part of this discussion. I've heard some philosophize not to blow it dead if the defense catches the ball. So we know anybody who believes in that philosophy doesn't consider the violation to have occurred while the ball is still in flight.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not sure that is correct.

What if the defense had deflected the ball into the backcourt such that the ball was in the backcourt paint. It doesn't seem correct that you'd make the throwin spot 75' from the location of the ball.

The violation is for failing to release the shot such that it subsequently hits the rim.

I think the logical place for the violation is the location of the ball....not the rim.

Note, this is a logical POV, I've not investigated the actual rule yet.
there are two ways to violate -- fail to release the ball on a try and fail to have the ball hit the rim. Your backcourt play is the first, so the inbounds spot is in the (old) backcourt. The try-horn-miss scenario is the second, and that's not a violation until the ball misses the rim, so that's the spot of the violation.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

In my searching for info, I came across the following for FIBA (highlighting mine)...

http://www.theeboa.com/tools/2010-20...renceChart.pdf
Shot Clock
24 seconds.
Ball must be released prior to sounding of horn and subsequently hit rim.
NEW: On a throw in – clock starts as soon as any player touches or is touched by the ball on the court.
If horn sounds – don’t blow whistle and wait to see what happens = if shot doesn’t hit rim or go in, or defense gets immediate control, no whistle, play continues.
Throw in for a shot clock violation is nearest to the spot where the shot was taken.
Shot clock is reset or sounds in error – official may correct it. If sounds in error, try to ignore the horn as long as neither team placed at a disadvantage.

There are a couple of statements that related to what we're discussing here. Sure, its FIBA, but I felt it still worth mentioning since FIBA has been making moves to be more like the various US rules.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
there are two ways to violate -- fail to release the ball on a try and fail to have the ball hit the rim. Your backcourt play is the first, so the inbounds spot is in the (old) backcourt. The try-horn-miss scenario is the second, and that's not a violation until the ball misses the rim, so that's the spot of the violation.
I don't see it as two ways to violate....it is one compound way.

A team just has to release a try that hits the rim. If they never release the try, they've certainly not released a try that hit the rim.