The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in spot

NCAA: A1 shoots an airball from beyond the 3 pt line at the top of the key as the shot clock expires. Is the throw-in spot on the endline or sideline where the shot left from?

Thanks!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 03:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
NCAA: A1 shoots an airball from beyond the 3 pt line at the top of the key as the shot clock expires. Is the throw-in spot on the endline or sideline where the shot left from?

Thanks!
I'm going endline as we usually don't kill the play until the ball lands, which obviously will be somewhere around the basket.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Got it, so "where the violation occurs" means endline unless the offense doesnt get a shot off at the top of the key.

I guess OOB where the airball was shot from only applies to The League.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got it, so "where the violation occurs" means endline unless the offense doesnt get a shot off at the top of the key.

I guess OOB where the airball was shot from only applies to The League.
In the NBA the ball is put on the nearest sideline where play was suspended but no nearer the baseline than the free throw line extended. In your case, the ball would be inbounded on either sideline, free throw line extended.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 04:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Thanks!
FIBA Ruling:

The TI spot is nearest the release of the ball.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

All 3 codes aint bad

Thanks all!
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Look up ball location in the NCAA book. Then ask yourself if the ball has contacted the floor prior to the shot-clock violation.
So according to those rules where is the ball located at the time of the violation?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 07:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Look up ball location in the NCAA book. Then ask yourself if the ball has contacted the floor prior to the shot-clock violation.
So according to those rules where is the ball located at the time of the violation?
You won't find "ball location" in the NCAA rule book (2009-11). You will find Section 5. Out of Bounds, Ball in Play from under rule 7.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You won't find "ball location" in the NCAA rule book (2009-11). You will find Section 5. Out of Bounds, Ball in Play from under rule 7.
True, but 7-5 doesn't really help us here, because it simply says that after a violation, the ball is put back in play at a spot closest to where the violation occurred. It doesn't tell us how to determine where the violation occurred.

And while the NCAA book doesn't have a section with the heading "Ball Location", the ball's location is defined for us (in terms of frontcourt/backcourt) in 4-3-3. 4-3-3a says that the if the ball is touching a player or the court, then it has the same location as that player or the court. 4-4-3b says that if the ball is airborne, then it retains the same position it had when it was last touching a player or the court.

So I think Nevada's point is the correct one here. The ball technically becomes dead before it hits the floor in the original situation. Therefore, when it becomes dead, it has the same location as when it left the shooter's hand.

Sideline throw-in.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

So you're saying the NCAA throw-in spot location is the same as The League in this situation?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
True, but 7-5 doesn't really help us here, because it simply says that after a violation, the ball is put back in play at a spot closest to where the violation occurred. It doesn't tell us how to determine where the violation occurred.

And while the NCAA book doesn't have a section with the heading "Ball Location", the ball's location is defined for us (in terms of frontcourt/backcourt) in 4-3-3. 4-3-3a says that the if the ball is touching a player or the court, then it has the same location as that player or the court. 4-4-3b says that if the ball is airborne, then it retains the same position it had when it was last touching a player or the court.

So I think Nevada's point is the correct one here. The ball technically becomes dead before it hits the floor in the original situation. Therefore, when it becomes dead, it has the same location as when it left the shooter's hand.

Sideline throw-in.
So that's how you have been administering it in your games?
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
So you're saying the NCAA throw-in spot location is the same as The League in this situation?
I'm saying the correct ruling in the NCAA is a sideline throw-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So that's how you have been administering it in your games?
In a word. . . yes.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

*crickets*
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 03:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Scrapper's interp may be technically correct but I can say I've never had a game where the throw-in was brought back out to a designated spot nearest the origin of the shot.

I need to pay attention to some of occurrences on TV games and see what they are doing. Really had never put much thought into it before this discussion. Guess it would make a big difference if it occurred in the waning seconds of a close game.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Aug 10, 2011 at 03:57pm.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Nearest the spot where the violation occurred.