The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/77426-throw-spot.html)

tref Tue Aug 09, 2011 03:32pm

Throw-in spot

NCAA: A1 shoots an airball from beyond the 3 pt line at the top of the key as the shot clock expires. Is the throw-in spot on the endline or sideline where the shot left from?

Thanks!

Raymond Tue Aug 09, 2011 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 779279)
NCAA: A1 shoots an airball from beyond the 3 pt line at the top of the key as the shot clock expires. Is the throw-in spot on the endline or sideline where the shot left from?

Thanks!

I'm going endline as we usually don't kill the play until the ball lands, which obviously will be somewhere around the basket.

tref Tue Aug 09, 2011 04:04pm

Got it, so "where the violation occurs" means endline unless the offense doesnt get a shot off at the top of the key.

I guess OOB where the airball was shot from only applies to The League.

APG Tue Aug 09, 2011 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 779284)
Got it, so "where the violation occurs" means endline unless the offense doesnt get a shot off at the top of the key.

I guess OOB where the airball was shot from only applies to The League.

In the NBA the ball is put on the nearest sideline where play was suspended but no nearer the baseline than the free throw line extended. In your case, the ball would be inbounded on either sideline, free throw line extended.

JugglingReferee Tue Aug 09, 2011 04:38pm

Quote:

Thanks!

FIBA Ruling:

The TI spot is nearest the release of the ball.

tref Tue Aug 09, 2011 04:46pm

All 3 codes aint bad

Thanks all!

Nevadaref Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:36am

Quote:

Thanks!

Look up ball location in the NCAA book. Then ask yourself if the ball has contacted the floor prior to the shot-clock violation.
So according to those rules where is the ball located at the time of the violation?

Raymond Wed Aug 10, 2011 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 779390)
Look up ball location in the NCAA book. Then ask yourself if the ball has contacted the floor prior to the shot-clock violation.
So according to those rules where is the ball located at the time of the violation?

You won't find "ball location" in the NCAA rule book (2009-11). You will find Section 5. Out of Bounds, Ball in Play from under rule 7.

Scrapper1 Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 779466)
You won't find "ball location" in the NCAA rule book (2009-11). You will find Section 5. Out of Bounds, Ball in Play from under rule 7.

True, but 7-5 doesn't really help us here, because it simply says that after a violation, the ball is put back in play at a spot closest to where the violation occurred. It doesn't tell us how to determine where the violation occurred.

And while the NCAA book doesn't have a section with the heading "Ball Location", the ball's location is defined for us (in terms of frontcourt/backcourt) in 4-3-3. 4-3-3a says that the if the ball is touching a player or the court, then it has the same location as that player or the court. 4-4-3b says that if the ball is airborne, then it retains the same position it had when it was last touching a player or the court.

So I think Nevada's point is the correct one here. The ball technically becomes dead before it hits the floor in the original situation. Therefore, when it becomes dead, it has the same location as when it left the shooter's hand.

Sideline throw-in.

tref Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:14pm

So you're saying the NCAA throw-in spot location is the same as The League in this situation?

Raymond Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 779571)
True, but 7-5 doesn't really help us here, because it simply says that after a violation, the ball is put back in play at a spot closest to where the violation occurred. It doesn't tell us how to determine where the violation occurred.

And while the NCAA book doesn't have a section with the heading "Ball Location", the ball's location is defined for us (in terms of frontcourt/backcourt) in 4-3-3. 4-3-3a says that the if the ball is touching a player or the court, then it has the same location as that player or the court. 4-4-3b says that if the ball is airborne, then it retains the same position it had when it was last touching a player or the court.

So I think Nevada's point is the correct one here. The ball technically becomes dead before it hits the floor in the original situation. Therefore, when it becomes dead, it has the same location as when it left the shooter's hand.

Sideline throw-in.

So that's how you have been administering it in your games?

Scrapper1 Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 779572)
So you're saying the NCAA throw-in spot location is the same as The League in this situation?

I'm saying the correct ruling in the NCAA is a sideline throw-in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 779574)
So that's how you have been administering it in your games?

In a word. . . yes. :)

tref Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:48pm

*crickets*

Raymond Wed Aug 10, 2011 03:54pm

Scrapper's interp may be technically correct but I can say I've never had a game where the throw-in was brought back out to a designated spot nearest the origin of the shot.

I need to pay attention to some of occurrences on TV games and see what they are doing. Really had never put much thought into it before this discussion. Guess it would make a big difference if it occurred in the waning seconds of a close game.

NCHSAA Wed Aug 10, 2011 04:53pm

Quote:

Thanks!

Nearest the spot where the violation occurred.