The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I don't understand what your trying to prove to anyone?
I don't care what a coach says to his players thats between him,the player, the team, and maybe the parents. So you saying that is based on your own opinion not mine. I would not care if a coach is yelling at his players thats not my business and not yours. I am there to officiate the game.
That's not what he was saying, he's saying he would never tell a coach to shut up.

The comment on yelling was meant like this: "Coach, yell at your players, not me."
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I don't understand what your trying to prove to anyone?
I don't care what a coach says to his players thats between him,the player, the team, and maybe the parents. So you saying that is based on your own opinion not mine. I would not care if a coach is yelling at his players thats not my business and not yours. I am there to officiate the game.
And you could care less if they are out of their box as long as they arent yelling at you, right?
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good point, T. I do "care" what the coach is yelling at his players, although 99% of the time it doesn't matter.

He doesn't get to denigrate the officials while he talks to his players. "I wasn't talking to you."

He doesn't get to use obsenity towards his players.

He doesn't get to threaten the other team by talking to his players. "Johnny, if he looks at you funny, take him out of the knees!" "Yes, Sensei."
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good point, T. I do "care" what the coach is yelling at his players, although 99% of the time it doesn't matter.

He doesn't get to denigrate the officials while he talks to his players. "I wasn't talking to you."

He doesn't get to use obsenity towards his players.

He doesn't get to threaten the other team by talking to his players. "Johnny, if he looks at you funny, take him out of the knees!" "Yes, Sensei."
I would say I don't care 95 percent of the time...he's not going to use a talk with his players as a back handed way to berate the officials, and I'll certainly take action for directing a player to commit an unsporting action.

I'd be a lot slower to take action about "obscenity" towards a player though.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Depends on the setting, volume & the word...
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I would say I don't care 95 percent of the time...he's not going to use a talk with his players as a back handed way to berate the officials, and I'll certainly take action for directing a player to commit an unsporting action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Depends on the setting, volume & the word...
Agreed. We've been told specifically that talking to his players is not an excuse for using obsenities; but I have yet to need to enforce this. The bar is pretty high, IMO.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 10:37am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
P. G County home of the following NBA "Stars"

Kevin Durant / Michael Beasley / Jarrett Jack / Delonte West

Grun - you know as well as i do they were all public school kids "from the hood"

there were no WCAC kids on that team........

Everything in PG County is "5 out" with no half court sets !!!!!!!!!!

BALLIN IN THE HOOD !!!!!!!!
What about Ty Lawson, Nolan Smith, Jeff Green, Cunningham (forgot his first name), Sam Young...I know I'm forgetting someone.

PG county, and the DC area, produces a lot of NBA players. For the record, Durant, Lawson and I'm sure some of the others mentioned didn't go to public Schools. Durant went to Maryland Christian (I think that is the official name), Oak Hill and then Montrose Christian.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Inexperienced coaches

If the individual or group that is organizing the event have their poop in a pile, things should go pretty smoothly, odd jerk-coach not withstanding.

If the event is disorganized, expect to have a coaches who believe they can behave like Bob Knight and get away with it, and players who think acting like Rasheed Wallace is appropriate. Stay as unemotional as possible, give out the T's as needed, and let the kids play the game.

I have also seen these types of games where the coaches don't have a clue; they basically just drove the van so the kids could get to the game. They will be the type that will either sit there and never say or word, or they will be the ones yelling "three seconds!" as shot after shot after shot goes up in the key.

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about a tourney I worked where if anybody received a technical, it was an automatic fine, and the player/coach was not allowed to participate until the fine was paid. Never had a problem.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
What about Ty Lawson, Nolan Smith, Jeff Green, Cunningham (forgot his first name), Sam Young...I know I'm forgetting someone.

PG county, and the DC area, produces a lot of NBA players. For the record, Durant, Lawson and I'm sure some of the others mentioned didn't go to public Schools. Durant went to Maryland Christian (I think that is the official name), Oak Hill and then Montrose Christian.
Tome - Couldn't name all of them. Thanks for the additions..... Durant went to National Christian Academy as a sophomore, Patrick Ewing, Jr. was also part of that team.