The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy JV Coaches!

I read with interest the post by blueump regarding his "Brain Fart." Don't be too hard on yourself. JV game tonight. Time limit of 1:45 hours in effect agreed to by both coaches in preconference. At 1:42 hours home team is up by a couple and visitors are coming to bat. I go to visitor coach near the pitching mound to ask him if he concedes due to time limit. He seems confused. I explain that he probably won't get to bat in the sixth as the home team still has to get three outs and then the home team has to take the field and the first pitch of the sixth inning has to occur before 1 hour and 45 minutes have elapsed. He says, "I want to try it anyway." I honor his request. The first batter in the top of the fifth singles. The second batter is at bat when the 1 hour 45 minute time limit is reached. I walk over to the visitor coach and tell him that due to the time limit, the game is over. He says, " What?" I said, "Coach, you don't have another at bat coming and you are behind. I can't justify continuing this game. It is over." I turned to the home bench and I indicated that the game was over. I then left with my partner in tow. The visiting crowd went nuts. As I left the playing field I had the crowd yelling that I can't just give them (the home team) the game. Perhaps I did not do enough to explain the situation to the visiting coach but I feel that his ignorance of the rules caused me grief. Changing in parking lot. Typical up here in the frozen "tundra." Northern Michigan. Fan from losing (visitor) comes up and asks why we took the game from them. I explain that the time limit had been reached and that there wasn't any possibility of the visiting team winning. He didn't understand. He started to raise his voice at me. He got irritated. I ended the conversation. My partner jumped in. He explained the entire situation to him. This seemed to calm him down. He then said, "I'm feel much better that I know what happened. I will explain it to the others." Well, I was relieved but still upset with the visiting teams' coach. He hung me out to dry. I had no choice but to call the game. What value is there to a time limit unless it is enforced? Second game went 4.5 innings and was called on account of darkness and the score reverted to the end of the 4th tied at nine. Seems like a lot of grief for 35 bucks a game!
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes1950
I read with interest the post by blueump regarding his "Brain Fart." Don't be too hard on yourself. JV game tonight. Time limit of 1:45 hours in effect agreed to by both coaches in preconference. At 1:42 hours home team is up by a couple and visitors are coming to bat. I go to visitor coach near the pitching mound to ask him if he concedes due to time limit. He seems confused. I explain that he probably won't get to bat in the sixth as the home team still has to get three outs and then the home team has to take the field and the first pitch of the sixth inning has to occur before 1 hour and 45 minutes have elapsed. He says, "I want to try it anyway." I honor his request. The first batter in the top of the fifth singles. The second batter is at bat when the 1 hour 45 minute time limit is reached. I walk over to the visitor coach and tell him that due to the time limit, the game is over. He says, " What?" I said, "Coach, you don't have another at bat coming and you are behind. I can't justify continuing this game. It is over." I turned to the home bench and I indicated that the game was over. I then left with my partner in tow. The visiting crowd went nuts. As I left the playing field I had the crowd yelling that I can't just give them (the home team) the game. Perhaps I did not do enough to explain the situation to the visiting coach but I feel that his ignorance of the rules caused me grief. Changing in parking lot. Typical up here in the frozen "tundra." Northern Michigan. Fan from losing (visitor) comes up and asks why we took the game from them. I explain that the time limit had been reached and that there wasn't any possibility of the visiting team winning. He didn't understand. He started to raise his voice at me. He got irritated. I ended the conversation. My partner jumped in. He explained the entire situation to him. This seemed to calm him down. He then said, "I'm feel much better that I know what happened. I will explain it to the others." Well, I was relieved but still upset with the visiting teams' coach. He hung me out to dry. I had no choice but to call the game. What value is there to a time limit unless it is enforced? Second game went 4.5 innings and was called on account of darkness and the score reverted to the end of the 4th tied at nine. Seems like a lot of grief for 35 bucks a game!
I don't get many time limit games but where I have, an inning can not start past the time limit. If an inning starts it finishes, regardless of time. So, if visiting team was coming to bat with 3 minutes left in the time limit, we play a complete inning, unless home team is still winning after visitors bat. A time limit that stops a game while visitors are in mid-inning is horse-sh*t.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

on top of that: i would not talk to parents/fans at pretty much any time ever, especially not in the parking lot.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
JV game with three minutes left and no lights. I would be inclined to kill the game anyway. Do what you have to do to get the next game in and going. UIC has a right to make this call. Don't worry about them getting in some extra PT. The next two teams have just as much right to their innings also, especially if it is a varsity game following. They can play again another day.
Make 'em up as you go. The teams playing have every right to play under the rules established, and agreed upon at pregame. You don't have a right to alter the agreed upon rules. The second game does not exist, while playing the first game. The teams should schedule game times earlier if they want to be sure to get both in before dark.

Gosh amighty, why do I bother.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:39am

Quote:
I read with interest the post by blueump regarding his "Brain Fart." Don't be too hard on yourself. JV game tonight. Time limit of 1:45 hours in effect agreed to by both coaches in preconference. At 1:42 hours home team is up by a couple and visitors are coming to bat. I go to visitor coach near the pitching mound to ask him if he concedes due to time limit. He seems confused.
I would be confused as well. The time limits are "no new inning after....whatever time." The fifth inning should have started at 1:43. The visitors could have taken the lead in the top of the fifth, and actually won the game. I would have been pissed too.

Quote:
Seems like a lot of grief for 35 bucks a game!
That is a darn low paying JV game. We have a Pinto league here that pays $35 a game! One particualar LL majors pays $42! JV games are $50 for two man or $70 for solo games!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:50am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
You guys are miss reading...

The home team was at bat when the time limit was reached. They, the home team, were leading so it was not necessary to finish the inning therefore the game was called in the middle of an inning.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Red face

I apologize for an error in the opening of this thread. The visitors had just batted in the top of the fifth and the home team was coming to bat up by a couple of runs. Sorry about that!
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I apologize for an error in the opening of this thread. The visitors had just batted in the top of the fifth and the home team was coming to bat up by a couple of runs. Sorry about that!
I had the same confusion. You might consider going back to edit this particularly important detail in your original post.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
That is a darn low paying JV game. We have a Pinto league here that pays $35 a game! One particualar LL majors pays $42! JV games are $50 for two man or $70 for solo games!
I've always read with interest the amount you guys from other states get paid for doing High School Varsity and JV games. I even told my wife that someone claimed to get $110 for a varsity double header. Here response was the same as mine...her mouth dropped open!

Here in Northern Michigan we usually get $35 for a single game and $65 for a double header. Some schools include mileage. JV usually pays $10 per game less. I've worked here in Michigan for nearly 17 years now, and this is standard, not just select schools ripping us off.

In fact, for the state tournament I think, the MHSAA still pays only $40 at the District and Regional level, and only $50 bucks for doing the semi-finals and finals. How is it that Michigan is apparently so far behind?

(Oh, by the way...LL here is voluntary...once in a while some may pay up to $20)
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 09:51am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Baseball Fee Schedule

Varsity
Plate: $58
Base: $48
Solo: $82

Underclass
Plate: $44
Base: $37
Solo: $63

Scrimmage
Unpaid

If we work two games usually one is on the plate and the other on the bases so a V DH would pay $106 in California

Last edited by w_sohl; Wed Apr 19, 2006 at 09:52am. Reason: Formatting
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Why does the plate umpire get paid more than the base umpire?
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
on top of that: i would not talk to parents/fans at pretty much any time ever, especially not in the parking lot.
If you are getting dressed in the parking lot there is not a whole lot you can do if fan/parents approach you. This is the one thing I hate about baseball because there is not the same consideration for the umpire's privacy and safety as it is in other sports. I do not think he could have completely prevented the conversation unless he was in a locker room.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Last night: doubleheader done in 3 hours 45 minutes. $45 per game + .30 per mile for the 80 mile 'round trip=$114.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you are getting dressed in the parking lot there is not a whole lot you can do if fan/parents approach you. This is the one thing I hate about baseball because there is not the same consideration for the umpire's privacy and safety as it is in other sports. I do not think he could have completely prevented the conversation unless he was in a locker room.

Peace
There is something you can and should do if harassed by a fan/parent/coach or anyone while dressing after the game:

Tell them to haul a$$.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
If we work two games usually one is on the plate and the other on the bases so a V DH would pay $106 in California
This is not the case in all of California, because in San Diego there is no distinction as to whether you work the plate or the bases. They are both paid $57 + $2 travel (which is a joke with gas at $3 a gallon!) for Varsity games.