The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I'm always looking to improve and all ears. Please share your methods of preparing for an AAU tournament coach.
Aren't we all...

I roll out of the rack, hit my knees & ask the Lord to give me the strength to deal with the Phil Jackson wanna-bes.
If I have to run any of these idiots & they should follow me to my car, Lord please let me get to my glovebox before they get to me.

Amen!

Then, I listen to my resolution conflict & effective communication CDs over breakfast.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 12:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Lord please let me get to my glovebox before they get to me.
I pity the fool that messes with the tref...
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Aren't we all...

I roll out of the rack, hit my knees & ask the Lord to give me the strength to deal with the Phil Jackson wanna-bes.
You'll actually see that Phil Jackson is relatively calm during a game...he didn't receive a T this year. He does most of his "work" before/after the game.

Now Rick Carlisle (Dallas Mavericks) got wrong up 10 times this year along with Stan Van Gundy (Orlando Magic) 9 times.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 02, 2011, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Some people just don't go around living with the expectation of a bad thing happening, just to be surprised by all the good things. We each have our own way of thinking, more power to you and yours. Mine is working for me.
Let me get this straight. So if you go somewhere to work a game and you know the league you are about to work a game does not provide a shower, you go to the game expecting to get a shower? I do not know about you, but when I know certain things are likely, I approach that situation appropriately. I do not expect a AAU coach to behave in the same way a HS coach will when the HS coach has probably been trained or had some standards to be a coach of their team. An AAU coach can be a coach by fronting the money and being the person that makes all the decisions.

Quote:
If you're caught off guard by a chirping coach, then maybe you haven't experienced many chirping coaches, not necessarily that you're working an AAU game. I guess western PA is the only area of the country where you can find a chirping coach, from the opening tip mind you, at the all accountable interscholastic level.
Again, another fallacy. I have never been caught off guard by a coach, but I know I can say things to HS coaches and they will stop in their tracks. Again, HS coaches are representing more than just themselves or those kids. They are often representing a community and an administration. If they fly off the handle and use language and I eject them from a game, that information goes into their file for their job. And they will be automatically suspended for a game and depending on the further actions might lose games. I have been involved in both an AAU and HS game where a coach followed me and my partner after the game was over. The HS situations the coach have been suspended heavily and the AAU game they were able to coach the next game. It is absurd for you to say an official cannot handle a coach when they are aware of the actions that AAU coaches have been involved in.

Quote:
From my experience, I do believe the likelihood of knuckleheadedness exists at the AAU level. I just think it's more likely to happen inside the lines, which is why I pointed that out in my initial response.
That is not the experience of many officials I know. Another reason why many officials here and in many places refuse to work those games.

Quote:
I'm always looking to improve and all ears. Please share your methods of preparing for an AAU tournament coach.
I do not have any special methods. I just know that things I say to a HS coach are likely to work and an AAU coach they will not likely work. This is not upsetting to me, just a fact when you work AAU games.

Peace
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Aren't we all...

If I have to run any of these idiots & they should follow me to my car, Lord please let me get to my glovebox before they get to me.

Amen!

Then, I listen to my resolution conflict & effective communication CDs over breakfast.
Although a bit dramatic, I appreciate the detail.

If that's what I needed to do prior to working an AAU tournament, I might reconsider.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although a bit dramatic, I appreciate the detail.

If that's what I needed to do prior to working an AAU tournament, I might reconsider.
I forgot the

Yeah, its not that serious! But being prepared for what may possibly occur (which is more likely in a AAU setting than in HS) is not a bad thing.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

AAU Game Report

Just worked 6 AAU games this weekend (2 each day F/S/S)....

I had a team from Seattle that goes by the name of GameTime on two different occasions...they won once and lost once, both close games with the loss in the 3rd place game. The coach and the players were a shining example of what sportsmanship should be.

Except for one, all of the teams I had were actually quite good but this one stood out above the rest.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon May 02, 2011 at 03:00pm.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 02:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had 5 games yesterday. USSSA, but to me they are all AAU. The assignor indicated that there was one coach ejection in 163 games. A report goes to national for those. I issued one coach T. Had to go talk to him afterward because he kept standing up. He listened and sat down and stayed that way. Most of the coaches were able to ask questions of plays without being knuckleheads and they got explanations of plays and rulings as a result. All teams were 5th/6th grade boys and we didn't have an issue with most of them either.

The guy that got tossed? His team lost by 30. So, obviously he didn't have must talent coaching, either.
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

AAU coaches can be MUCH worse. There is no accountability. For example if a HS coach gets ejected, they work for the AD.. often times there is no recourse for an AAU coach's actions. Most of them are just there to coach their players and will never cause an issue.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Right ON !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
AAU coaches can be MUCH worse. There is no accountability. For example if a HS coach gets ejected, they work for the AD.. often times there is no recourse for an AAU coach's actions. Most of them are just there to coach their players and will never cause an issue.
There was a bench clearing brawl in a women's game 16u in Baltimore this weekend !!!!!

They don't call it Bloodymore for anything !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you should go into an AAU game with any preconceived notions or a short leash for the coach. However, you need to keep in mind that the environment is different than a sanctioned (by HS association or NCAA) contest. Most likely you do not have dedicated game management and if you do, they are probably covering several courts, etc.

I hold the same standards regarding bench decorum in a summer game as I do the season - I only know one way to do things. I have to be ready for different reactions or challenges on the AAU circuit.
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE= I have never been caught off guard by a coach, [/QUOTE]

JR - You have NEVER been caught off guard by a coach? You must either have a bunch of saints in Chicago or you have them scared stiff!
Old Wed May 04, 2011, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
JR - You have NEVER been caught off guard by a coach? You must either have a bunch of saints in Chicago or you have them scared stiff!
One of the reasons I say this is because I know where I am when I work and never assume that all coaches are angels. Usually I am surprised in certain places when they behave like angels. I learned this lesson pretty early on in my career when I worked all levels and leagues.

Peace
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wink This is why.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I have worked AAU over the years from Nationals, Showcases, and in between. AAU coaches seem to be less coaches and more of players themselves. Most of them act like kids and you generally see more coaches get kicked out, tech'd, or told to shutup than you would in a High School game. It is very frustrating and can be very annoying. But in the end I have a good time with it. Its funny to see how a lot of coaches act while I am waiting for another game to start.
This quote is once again why I wanted to make sure it was "understood" that "that" mikeb is NOT "this" Mike B.

"Shut up" is certainly not a practiced method of mine for asking a coach to try and limit the direction of his yelling in the direction of his players.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofLZ View Post
This quote is once again why I wanted to make sure it was "understood" that "that" mikeb is NOT "this" Mike B.

"Shut up" is certainly not a practiced method of mine for asking a coach to try and limit the direction of his yelling in the direction of his players.
I don't understand what your trying to prove to anyone?
I don't care what a coach says to his players thats between him,the player, the team, and maybe the parents. So you saying that is based on your own opinion not mine. I would not care if a coach is yelling at his players thats not my business and not yours. I am there to officiate the game.