The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was just about to say "I am surprised no one said I was working the game." After all people say that to me all the time.

Peace
Crap, I thought I saw you at the grocery store yesterday in Denver, but that's a whole other thread.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Crap, I thought I saw you at the grocery store yesterday in Denver, but that's a whole other thread.
I think I see you at the local store all the time. Not just yesterday.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think I see you at the local store all the time. Not just yesterday.

Peace
Just like Higgins, only younger and with darker hair.

I don't joke about this with everyone since it might offend some I don't know well, but I have a white colleage in my guard unit, whose husband is black, and we joke about it all the time.

Her: "Did you see my husband earlier?"

Me: "How would I know?"
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Those 3 look alike to me.
That's cuz you're Canadian, and all Americans look alike to you people.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I don't see how Walton could make an across the court OOB call, it would be a guess, and he did the right thing, he trusted his partners.
Walton had good reason to not call the OOB but there was no good reason to not call the traveling...that was his call and his PCA. Unless he's heard a horn or a whistle, he has to assume that the player is still inbounds and that there is time on the clock and make that call.

It would be convenient to try to lay blame on any one or two of the crew but in reality, all three made errors on that play.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Walton had good reason to not call the OOB but there was no good reason to not call the traveling...that was his call and his PCA. Unless he's heard a horn or a whistle, he has to assume that the player is still inbounds and that there is time on the clock and make that call.

It would be convenient to try to lay blame on any one or two of the crew but in reality, all three made errors on that play.
It's almost as if something told them the game was over. I'd stick with that, but I heard the live radio call of that play this morning, and I couldn't hear any horn that would indicate that was the case.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 04:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

After St. John's steals the ball Walton starts running towards SJ's frontcourt but takes his eyes off the player and looks at the clock. When he looks back the player is already OOB and in the midst chucking the ball up in the air. I don't think Earl knew what the hell was going on at that point. He's probably thinking "I hope someone blew a whistle"
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
After St. John's steals the ball Walton starts running towards SJ's frontcourt but takes his eyes off the player and looks at the clock. When he looks back the player is already OOB and in the midst chucking the ball up in the air. I don't think Earl knew what the hell was going on at that point. He's probably thinking "I hope someone blew a whistle"
The perfect storm, it seems, for really good officials to miss a seemingly easy call.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That may be what he did but in doing so he took his eyes off THE play in HIS PCA....not usually a good idea.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 06:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That may be what he did but in doing so he took his eyes off THE play in HIS PCA....not usually a good idea.
Not saying it was. Just noting another contributary action to what went wrong.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 06:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares about the darn travel? That pales in comparison to the out of bounds call that does not take an issue of when the player might have controlled the ball. We miss travels all the time. We should not miss a player stepping on the line ever that clearly. Now was that a mistake? Of course it was, but I can get over a missed travel as I am sure there were other plays during that game we could argue was a travel, but can we miss an out of bounds? Heck no. We cannot even agree when the player had the darn ball. But we know the player stepped on the line.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who cares about the darn travel? That pales in comparison to the out of bounds call that does not take an issue of when the player might have controlled the ball. We miss travels all the time. We should not miss a player stepping on the line ever that clearly. Now was that a mistake? Of course it was, but I can get over a missed travel as I am sure there were other plays during that game we could argue was a travel, but can we miss an out of bounds? Heck no. We cannot even agree when the player had the darn ball. But we know the player stepped on the line.

Peace
Okay, I think I finally understand the source of our disagreement. You think that the "travel" was close. And I think that the "travel" was beyond obvious.

I'm just glad that I think I understand your argument now.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:39pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

The bottom line is this -- you CANNOT miss impact plays that can possibly alter the outcome of a game -- at any level.

Burr and Higgins are old-school guys and I'm sure they just chalked it up to either "I didn't see it" or they had the clock at 00.0, because Burr walked off like nothing even happened. . .

If they were going to call a travel, it would've been around 2.1, but either way, SOMETHING needed to be called and you can't miss obvious plays.

That, first and foremost, for all of us who wear stripes, trumps everything.

I feel bad for Walton out of all of them, because I'm sure he's going to be put up as the "Lee Harvey Oswald" in this mess that if Burr didn't pick it up, then Higgins should.

Nuff said, pencils down, game over.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But , if I recall correctly, a couple of years back when there was a bump in the backcourt in the last second of a tournament game (Georgetown vs. Somebody, maybe?) which caused a player to step out of bounds. The foul was called, the subsequent free throws were the winning margin, and Bilas said the whole thing should have been ignored.
It was G'town vs. Villanova and it was not an NCAA tournament game.
It was a Big East game.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
That's cuz you're Canadian, and all Americans look alike to you people,eh?
Fixed it for ya.