The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tim Higgins (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64443-tim-higgins.html)

mightyvol Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:44pm

Tim Higgins

Why is this guy officiating? He cant keep up. It looks like he is really hurting. I know trying to officiate through an injury is one of the most difficult things. I dont think he should be out there, it is obvious something is wrong. Anyone know the extent of his health. I know he has to be in his 60's....maybe its just age.

Adam Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:46pm

Did he recently work a Fighting Pearls game?

mightyvol Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:46pm

He is officiating the Rutgers vs St.Johns game on ESPN right now.

Adam Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyvol (Post 738137)
He is officiating the Rutgers vs St.Johns game on ESPN right now.

Ah, I was just busting your chops. Should've added a smiley.

mightyvol Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:48pm

No idea if he officiated the fighting Pearls. I could careless. I am just commenting on his status and maybe someone would know his status.

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyvol (Post 738135)
Why is this guy officiating? He cant keep up. It looks like he is really hurting. I know trying to officiate through an injury is one of the most difficult things. I dont think he should be out there, it is obvious something is wrong. Anyone know the extent of his health. I know he has to be in his 60's....maybe its just age.

Until his supervisors quit using him he is going to continue to officiate.

Like you, I sometimes see officials out there who look like they shouldn't be. But apparently they are doing enough that their supervisors feel it's better to have them out there instead of someone else.

Adam Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyvol (Post 738140)
No idea if he officiated the fighting Pearls. I could careless. I am just commenting on his status and maybe someone would know his status.

I know. I'm with BNR on this one. He gets work because supervisors are comfortable with him and they know what they're going to get.

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 738143)
I know. I'm with BNR on this one. He gets work because supervisors are comfortable with him and they know what they're going to get.

The Big East coaches are also comfortable with him and they want him on their games. There's more to officiating than looking pretty.

As for mightyvol? if you check his posting history, he's also crapped on Ted Hillary and Steve Welmer over the years....another two guys that were accepted. As well as a few other officials that the didn't bother to name. That's telling to me.

Rich Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:23pm

I just sat down and am watching and came here specifically to say something about Higgins and saw this thread.

It's painful watching him. In a system where a gimpy Higgins is seen as a better option than a few hundred other DI officials that can actually move, I think the system is seriously broken. Burr can't move that well either. But Higgins is taking inbounds from the backcourt endline from beyond the FT line as the trail....forget about adequately covering a fast break. And the extent that he's bailing on every shot tells me he knows he can't move.

I'd rather see a younger guy as much as I love watching Higgins work.

tref Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 738186)
In a system where a gimpy Higgins is seen as a better option than a few hundred other DI officials that can actually move, I think the system is seriously broken. Burr can't move that well either. But Higgins is taking inbounds from the backcourt endline from beyond the FT line as the trail....forget about adequately covering a fast break.

I'd rather see a younger guy as much as I love watching Higgins work.

Injured but familiar, well-trusted faces > Healthy young prospects

I have accepted the fact that this is common at all levels.

Rich Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 738188)
Injured but familiar, well-trusted faces > Healthy young prospects

I have accepted the fact that this is common at all levels.

And that's too bad.

tref Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:37pm

Concur, but it is what it is til it aint.

CDurham Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:40pm

Awful Game at the End

The game was officiated horribly at the end (last 20 seconds).

Adam Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:40pm

How so?

Raymond Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 738192)
Concur, but it is what it is til it aint.

Or until a conference brings in a new supervisor.