The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Tim Higgins just called a violation on a South Alabama player that stole the ball and started dribbling. The player's momentum then carried him out of bounds. The player then re-established himself back in bounds and ran the ball down and picked it up. Higgins gave the signal for carrying or back court violation.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Is legal in High School. Is there any difference in college?

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Mar 17th, 2006 at 09:51 AM]
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

The rule is the same. Now are you sure this was called for the reason you say it was? I did not see the play but it sounds like their might have been more to what took place. Did anyone else see the play?

Peace

[Edited by BBall_Junkie on Mar 17th, 2006 at 09:53 AM]
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Now, now, let's not point out mistakes made by NCAA Tourney officials.
I realize you made this comment based on the other thread but this is legal in High School. Is there any difference in college?
The rule is the same. Now are you sure this was called for the reason you say it was? I did not see the play but it sounds like their might have been more to what took place. Did anyone else see the play?

Peace
This is definitely how it happened. It was in the first half. The player let it roll for 20 feet because he was hesitant to pick it up. Eventually he picked it up and Higgins pointed to the sideline and made the carry signal.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps he judged that the player should have been able to avoid going OOB to begin with. You did say that the player had enough room/time that he started dribbling before heading OOB. Sounds like it could be possible that the player had a choice to not go out but did anyway.

Having not seen the play, I can't say for sure but this is a possibility.

Perhaps Higgins feels that an interrupted dribble is (as some assert) only an accidental loss of control and that a volunatary cessation of the dribble is not an interrupted dribble. Thus the player left the court while dribbling but he waited until the player touched it again to ensure that it was not a pass.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

The reason I asked was it is against the rules to go out of bounds on your own and be the first to touch the ball in certain situations. Usually the situation is described as going around a set screen on the baseline. The rule is not much different than the NF Rule, but should only be called when the player is the first to touch the ball. So maybe his call was based on this rule, not a backcourt violation. Now I am not talking about a situation where someone just steps out of bounds, I am talking about a situation where someone purposely goes out of bounds to gain an advantage. That probably would be a stretch, but that is the best I can come up with.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Perhaps he judged that the player should have been able to avoid going OOB to begin with.
Then why wouldn't the violation be called immediately when he went OOB?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps he judged that the player should have been able to avoid going OOB to begin with.
Because it's not a violation until he's first to touch the ball after coming back in. This is different from the nfhs rule.

BTW, I didn't see the play, was this the call?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it but he evidently signaled the palming/BC violation hand signal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
it would only be a violation if he's either dribbling at the time or (unless I'm mistaken about the NCAA rule) is the first to touch the ball after returning. The question of whether the last touch on the ball was a dribble or a sloppy bounce pass is often deferred the ball is next touched (by the original player or another player).
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I didn't see it but he evidently signaled the palming/BC violation hand signal.
Well, there aint no signal for being the first to touch the ball after going OOB on your own volition...BC violation signal seems a decent way to communicate what's going on.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

The player definitely didn't go out of bounds on his own volition because he was pretty much by himself. He would have no reason (gain an advantage) to go out of bounds. Is the NBA rule different then HS & College?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Okay I just watched the play on mmod.ncaasports.com

If you want to watch it just register and you can watch any part of any game!

Go to the Florida game and click on Archive Video. Drag the slider to 29:05/01:59:03. The play is at the 9:11 mark in the 1st half.

After watching the replay I'm pretty sure that this rule was kicked. The funny thing is that there was probably 2 people in the building that knew it. No one said a word about it (as I would expect).

Does anyone know if this used to be the rule along time ago?

If this happens at the end of the game do you fix it or leave it alone if your his partner?

[Edited by All_Heart on Mar 17th, 2006 at 05:06 PM]
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Simple rule

A player may not be the last to have control inbounds, leave the court, re-establish inbounds status and be the 1st to touch the ball. You stated that the player dribbled b4 going out--hence, he had control. If he just bats the ball in and goes out, he can be the 1st to touch.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Simple rule

Quote:
Originally posted by socalreff
A player may not be the last to have control inbounds, leave the court, re-establish inbounds status and be the 1st to touch the ball. You stated that the player dribbled b4 going out--hence, he had control. If he just bats the ball in and goes out, he can be the 1st to touch.
Sorry socalreff but this is incorrect. Control has nothing to do with it. Although your last sentence says that he can be the 1st to touch, I'm assuming that it was a typo.

Sit.
A1 grabs the ball while falling out of bounds. Both of his feet are planted to the floor while he throws the ball to the floor inbounds. He then falls out of bounds. A1 then reestablishes himself back in bounds and picks up the ball. A1 has legally started a dribble and ended the dribble.

[Edited by All_Heart on Mar 17th, 2006 at 05:18 PM]