The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
the days of "it's not in my area so it's not my business" are over....get the call right is, and should be, the goal for officials...
So if you're watching your partner's primary area of coverage (not dual area), then who is watching yours?

My conference assignor has instructed his staff: if you call out of your primary area, it better be for a non-basketball play.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
So if you're watching your partner's primary area of coverage (not dual area), then who is watching yours?.
see post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
My conference assignor has instructed his staff: if you call out of your primary area, it better be for a non-basketball play.
It is what it is...
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem with getting it right, but there is a right way to do that. If it is judgment calls we need to live with those. Officials get those wrong often. The only way I would give information is if I saw the entire play and I know it was one way and my partner had another way and we have some dual or coverage where I would see something. I am just not going to split hairs and try to correct a judgment call. I have to know a rule was kicked, not think a rule was kicked. And I believe we can learn from a situation that we talk about in the locker room. Might realize we did not see the entire play as we thought. But the court is not the time to correct everything or we do not need to be out there.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I know that the BC exception is for the player who is 'receiving' the inbound pass. There may be a case play for this scenario if it was a FC endline throw-in. Since A2 touched it [if A2 was in FC] then A2 could retrieve it in BC without violation. Not sure if that would extend to A3, though. Even if A2 had not controlled it.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I know that the BC exception is for the player who is 'receiving' the inbound pass. There may be a case play for this scenario if it was a FC endline throw-in. Since A2 touched it [if A2 was in FC] then A2 could retrieve it in BC without violation. Not sure if that would extend to A3, though. Even if A2 had not controlled it.
??? If, following a throwin, the ball is tipped in the FC towards the BC, any player may retrieve it. No exception is required, as TC is never established in the FC.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yup! TC is not obtained by a mere touching of the ball.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Team control was never established in the play in question and therefore there can be no backcourt violation.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Four Elements ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Team control was never established in the play in question and therefore there can be no backcourt violation.
The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control; the ball must have achieved
frontcourt status; the team in team control must be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt;
that same team must be the first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 07:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I was working a GJV game last night with a rookie partner. As L, I'm administering an endline throw-in. A1 throws the ball towards the sideline. A2 makes a diving bat to keep the ball inbounds (no control imo). A3, who obviously thinks she cannot go into the back court, awkwardly attempts to get the ball while remaining in the FC but ultimately goes into the BC. I do not believe A3 ever gains control before my partner whistles a BC violation.

Now this call is out of my primary (I'm only seeing it since it was near my sideline in the first place) and for all I know at the time, my partner feels A3 gained control before going into the backcourt
. Do you confer with him or just go with his call?

I went with his call and talked to him about it afterward. He did indeed kick it as he didn't have A3 gaining control.
You don't have 100% solid information to give him so there is no reason to confer with him. Talk to him about the elements of the play at halftime or after the game.