The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Had a game Saturday where the fould count was 8 - 1. The coach had the usual comments about it and then said "All I want is an evenly called game and judging by the scoreboard you all are not doing that". I SOOOOOO wanted to say "Well, do you want the score evened out as well? If you gave the other team 7 points you could even that out as well." However, I just took two steps to my left!!
Later, when the foul count was 10 - 2 "That Fan" kept yelling, "You're only calling one side of the court.!!" OVER AND OVER. The radio PbP guys were at a break and I said "I WISH I was only calling one half of the court then I wouldn't have to do all this damn running". They cracked up and the *******s even used the line on the air......without giving ME any credit.!!!
Having said that, there are coaches, had two last nite, that if the have an issue with a call they may have a point and it should be addressed. IE. Had a player who kept driving endline, ending up behind the backboard and then jumping into the defender all for no call. After I explained what was happening they were fine with it and made the correction.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Everyone knows that no official has ever asked for/offered up help on an out of bounds call because one team's mass of fans who've been silent all night go ballistic.

But don't ever listen to 'em
I see this more happen when the players really react to an out of bounds call that goes against them rather than the fans' reaction.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Had a game Saturday where the fould count was 8 - 1. The coach had the usual comments about it and then said "All I want is an evenly called game and judging by the scoreboard you all are not doing that". I SOOOOOO wanted to say "Well, do you want the score evened out as well? If you gave the other team 7 points you could even that out as well." However, I just took two steps to my left!!
I would have stopped the game for a couple of free throws on this one.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
EXACTLY! you listen to the comments/feedback/criticism....decide if it's valid...and then apply it or disregard it.....

imho, it is not smart to simply dismiss immediately because of where it came from. it's the ONLY WAY to get better....

keep in mind, if you only do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.
Yup! At the highest level, they are taught not to be tied to their decisions. Be open to "why" it was perceived to be a foul/violation, dont try to prove "why" it wasn't a foul/violation. - Marc Davis
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
+1

If a coach can get away with crap like that, he'll just keep on a-doing it to you.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The problem is 99% of fans don't know jack about the rules, and even less about officiating. They think every bit of contact is a foul, unless it's on their team, then it's "ticky-tack" if there's no blood or concussion involved. They think the 3 second rule is always in effect (probably even during timeouts). They think a high dribble is illegal. They think it's a foul for a taller player to reach over top of a shorter one. And (this is just a guess) I'm willing to bet they think it's perfectly legal for a player to go out of bounds to get around defenders as long as he doesn't have the ball.

Further, they see everything through glasses tinted with their team colors. Why in the world would I take their complaints seriously?

Coaches get more credibility, but not much. they're less likely to miss all those rules, but their glasses have even darker tint than the fans.

Does that mean every coach and every fan that offers a critique is full of crap? No, but the likelihood of them having valid points is so small as to be negligible and therefore we're justified in dismissing them.

If you want to know how you're doing, get a qualified official to come observe your game. Don't take a poll.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not one who finds comments like that offensive, but I know that there are others who are more sensitive. We DID stop the game for a few FT's when he yelled, "That just shows how poor your judgement is." IMO, that is a little more personal. Ironically, he later apologized when we upgraded a foul on the other team to an Intentional. He said, "Unfortunately, it is too late to take back my earlier statement and the 'T'". Again, I SOOO wanted to say "We are just trying to keep things even. You know one bad judgement call, one good judgement call!!" But I just smiled and moved on. Yep, needed a new personal filter after the game!!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
If coaches are going to complain about us as officials "officiating the scoreboard" (a term that I've never heard before but makes a lot of sense), then we have just as much right to complain about coaches who complain about a lop sided foul count.

I think we should come up with a term for this as well, but "B****ing about the scoreboard" just doesn't have the same ring. Suggestions?

Anyways, the point is that this is a two way street. I'm willing to call a game by the book in a blowout the day that coaches promise to never complain about the foul counts getting out of whack. I don't see that happening any time soon.
So, if the coach promises to not complain, you will call the game by the book. But if the coach complains, you will back off from the book and let the coach complain and complain and thus influence your ability to officiate by the book? Well, of course you will because you won't tell the coach to cut it out and then whack him to stop the complaining and allow you to work the game by the book. And why are you officiating? Sack up, tell the coach not to complain and if the coach complains, whack him. Otherwise continue on your journey of letting the coach dictate your ability to officiate by the book and keep that wonderful JV schedule you deserve.....
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am not one who finds comments like that offensive, but I know that there are others who are more sensitive. We DID stop the game for a few FT's when he yelled, "That just shows how poor your judgement is." IMO, that is a little more personal. Ironically, he later apologized when we upgraded a foul on the other team to an Intentional. He said, "Unfortunately, it is too late to take back my earlier statement and the 'T'". Again, I SOOO wanted to say "We are just trying to keep things even. You know one bad judgement call, one good judgement call!!" But I just smiled and moved on. Yep, needed a new personal filter after the game!!
I don't see it as being sensitive; that's an even more direct charge on your integrity than a normal appeal to the foul count, IMO. I couldn't care less what he actually thinks of me, but he needs to know that comment isn't acceptable.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you want to know how you're doing, get a qualified official to come observe your game. Don't take a poll.
Amen.

The average coach if he's doing his job right is watching play to see what strategy he needs to employ. They only see us when we blow a whistle or don't blow one that they wanted us to blow. And it's the same for fans. They're watching the play, not the officials.

I's the same imo as me in the middle of a quadruple bypass telling the surgeon where he should place the stents.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Amen.

The average coach if he's doing his job right is watching play to see what strategy he needs to employ. They only see us when we blow a whistle or don't blow one that they wanted us to blow. And it's the same for fans. They're watching the ball, not the officials.

I's the same imo as me in the middle of a quadruple bypass telling the surgeon where he should place the stents.
Fixed it for ya.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Perhaps he should take a poll of the nurses?

Or, Mrs. JR?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see it as being sensitive; that's an even more direct charge on your integrity than a normal appeal to the foul count, IMO. I couldn't care less what he actually thinks of me, but he needs to know that comment isn't acceptable.
That's fine, like I said, to me that is not a big attack on my integrity. His later statement certainly was. IMO, the first comment was vague and general while the second one was specific and personal. Would I have a problem if one of my partners T'd em for that? Not at all. We all have our hot buttons. (Personally, I LOATHE the Double Windshield Wiper Wave Off)
What I should have told him is "Why are you asking me? I am the one who called the only foul on the other team!!"
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is there a time limit on upgrading a personal foul to an intentional? i had a brutal game last saturday, boys jv where the foul was hard...double bonus situation. during the second thought i was wondering to myself if i should have called intentional. looking back, i know i should have.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
is there a time limit on upgrading a personal foul to an intentional? i had a brutal game last saturday, boys jv where the foul was hard...double bonus situation. during the second thought i was wondering to myself if i should have called intentional. looking back, i know i should have.
There is no time frame (and no need for one), but you should make a call like that immediately or ASAP. It looks bad if you make the call then change it.

Peace