The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts from a coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62533-thoughts-coach.html)

bainsey Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:18pm

Thoughts from a coach

The following was posted on our state basketball's message board, thread entitled "Stop Officiating the Scoreboard!" I'll just post the OP (there are some interesting replies) for now...
-----------------------------

Why do some official [sic] believe that they have a right to try and even the playing surface by adjusting the play calling for the inferior opponent?

In four different games this season I was informed by 4 different officials that they were not going to make on obvious foul or travel call because, “Look at the score board!”

Do the rules of the game change just because of the number of points up on the score board?

Is this reason to allow for excessive contact by an inferior defender?

At what point does an official decide they have the right to change the rules of a game?

What this really comes down to is, why do some officials believe that they are bigger than the game?

MelbRef Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:32pm

IMO, a legitimate concern if that what he is being told.

JRutledge Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:35pm

Anytime we do not do what they want us to do on the court, we think we are bigger than the game. This is just one more reason I couldn't care less what fans or coaches think of officiating.

Peace

Raymond Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 730429)
IMO, a legitimate concern if that what he is being told.

The supposed responses may have been made because he was complaining about judgement calls when he was up by 30 points. How do we know the fouls/violations were "obvious"?

"Look at the scoreboard" to me = "is this a battle you really want to fight right now?"

rockchalk jhawk Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:40pm

If coaches are going to complain about us as officials "officiating the scoreboard" (a term that I've never heard before but makes a lot of sense), then we have just as much right to complain about coaches who complain about a lop sided foul count.

I think we should come up with a term for this as well, but "B****ing about the scoreboard" just doesn't have the same ring. Suggestions?

Anyways, the point is that this is a two way street. I'm willing to call a game by the book in a blowout the day that coaches promise to never complain about the foul counts getting out of whack. I don't see that happening any time soon.

tref Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:44pm

Thats why we shouldnt discuss things of that nature with them!

Tossing the slaughtered team a bone by giving them 50/50 calls is far from ignoring obvious fouls/violations :rolleyes:

Hell, they think every travel is obvious... even when the player doesnt have possession of the ball :rolleyes:

They think their player has been fouled in the act of shooting... even when the defender is straight up & the contact (caused by the offense) was very loud :rolleyes:

Will you post some of the good replies, bainsey??

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 730430)
Anytime we do not do what they want us to do on the court, we think we are bigger than the game. This is just one more reason I couldn't care less what fans or coaches think of officiating.

Peace

+1

JRutledge Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 730433)
II think we should come up with a term for this as well, but "B****ing about the scoreboard" just doesn't have the same ring. Suggestions?

I had a partner say to a coach the other day, "You get paid a lot of money to count those" while he walked away from him.

There is nothing special to say, I just tell them that this is not a road they want to go down or that you couldn't care less about that. I have over the years tried to find a special phrase and usually what I get back to is the truth. They get paid money to count those, I call them. Not my concern what the count is and I have told them that. It is up to them to deal with it. You will never satisfy these fools anyway.

Peace

tref Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:50pm

Depending on who I'm dealing with night to night, I'll go with:

I dont count em, I just call em! OR
Stop fouling!

bainsey Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 730434)
Will you post some of the good replies, bainsey??

Here's the entire thread. That way, you can see other posts as they're added, and you can decide for yourself what's good.

APG Tue Feb 15, 2011 04:54pm

"Coach, my job isn't to even the count." Either that, or I'll simply shrug my shoulders and agree with the coach that the foul count is so and so.

rockchalk jhawk Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 730435)
I had a partner say to a coach the other day, "You get paid a lot of money to count those" while he walked away from him.

There is nothing special to say, I just tell them that this is not a road they want to go down or that you couldn't care less about that. I have over the years tried to find a special phrase and usually what I get back to is the truth. They get paid money to count those, I call them. Not my concern what the count is and I have told them that. It is up to them to deal with it. You will never satisfy these fools anyway.

Peace

Umm... sarcasm? Attempt at humor? I don't care what the foul count is either because 99% of the time it is legit. I just hate when it becomes a point of contention, much the same as the frustration related by the coach in the OP.

tref Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 730438)
Here's the entire thread. That way, you can see other posts as they're added, and you can decide for yourself what's good.

Thanks, good thing he didnt post that over here!

Adam Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 730430)
anytime we do not do what they want us to do on the court, we think we are bigger than the game. This is just one more reason i couldn't care less what fans or coaches think of officiating.

Peace

+1

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 730430)

+1

Same sh!t, different day. Nothing ever changes.

Rich Tue Feb 15, 2011 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 730456)
+1

Same sh!t, different day. Nothing ever changes.

One day a coach is going to say, "It's not about you," and I'm going to wave him bye-bye and say "it's certainly not about you, either."