The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

injury ?

A1 fouled on a layup . His coach his mom and half a dozen random people come onto the floor to tend to him as he goes down screaming. Does anybody have the casebook play whether A1 shoots the throws. Whether a substitute can shoot them. Can A1 re enter the game at a later point if he doesnt shoot?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
A1 fouled on a layup . His coach his mom and half a dozen random people come onto the floor to tend to him as he goes down screaming. Does anybody have the casebook play whether A1 shoots the throws. Whether a substitute can shoot them. Can A1 re enter the game at a later point if he doesnt shoot?
Under NFHS rules, A1 does not have to shoot the free throws. Team A's coach will designated a substitute to shoot the free throws. A1 can re enter the game only after the clock has been properly started.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Under NFHS rules, A1 does not have to shoot the free throws. Team A's coach will designated a substitute to shoot the free throws. A1 can re enter the game only after the clock has been properly started.
+1

See 8-2 and if there's no substitute available, the team captain or head coach will select any teammate to attempt the throw(s).
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I am under the impression that when the coach comes onto the floor, the player HAS TO come out of the game, and as stated, his replacement shoots the FTs.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Can the coach keep him/her in by using a timeout?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:31am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
i am under the impression that when the coach comes onto the floor, the player has to come out of the game, and as stated, his replacement shoots the fts.
+1
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Can the coach keep him/her in by using a timeout?
Yes.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I am under the impression that when the coach comes onto the floor, the player HAS TO come out of the game, and as stated, his replacement shoots the FTs.
And also once the coach has been beckoned. If a player has been laying on the floor long enough that I beckon the coach then that player needs to leave. Sometimes a coach will refuse to come on the court hoping that will keep his player in the game.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And also once the coach has been beckoned. If a player has been laying on the floor long enough that I beckon the coach then that player needs to leave. Sometimes a coach will refuse to come on the court hoping that will keep his player in the game.
Agreed.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

8-2 states a player does not have to shoot. Can he stay in in and shoot if he wants? What if you think he is faking it to get a better shooter at the line?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
8-2 states a player does not have to shoot. Can he stay in in and shoot if he wants? What if you think he is faking it to get a better shooter at the line?
Once the coach has been beckoned or comes on the court then A1 can only shoot the free throws if Team A uses a time-out.

Not our job to determine if he is faking.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As mentioned above, if the coach is beckoned, the player must be substituted for, or the coach can request a TO to keep that player in the game.

We do not have authority to determine if a player really is injured or not, so all we can do is follow the rules as written. If the sub happens to be a better FT shooter than the "injured" player, so be it. Once the player leaves, they simply cannot return until the next dead ball following the clock running.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:55pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I don't see anything in the OP about the coach coming on the floor (unless he's one of the dozen or so), but he'd definitely be "beckoned" under the circumstances.

Are these people coming from the stands? Anyone considering a whack? What level are we talking about here?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 04:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
...Are these people coming from the stands? Anyone considering a whack? What level are we talking about here?
I sense exaggeration on the OP's part.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I don't see anything in the OP about the coach coming on the floor (unless he's one of the dozen or so), but he'd definitely be "beckoned" under the circumstances.

Are these people coming from the stands? Anyone considering a whack? What level are we talking about here?
I don't care if it's an assistant coach, trainer, bus driver, or EMT; if anyone comes onto the floor to tend to the player, the coach has thus been beckoned.

And if anyone comes on to the floor and takes the opportunity to try to deal with the officials, then I'll consider a T.

The answer to your question, though, is yes, there is at least one on this board who would consider a T.