The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Very Serious Injury

I am just wondering, What happens when a player gets seriously injured from rough play?

Being a vague as I can be, we had a player ( girls middle school aged ) fell to the floor during a play broke her neck. She is now in The Intensive Care Unit.

I would not be surprised to see the family try to bring a law suit against, the officials? the School? I don't know who. But girls at this age foul and foul and foul. It is not unusual to have 40 plus fouls and 20 plus jump balls.

Has anyone been involved in anything like this? I did not referee this game, but I have friends who did. I also do referee games like this. It has me concerned.

Thanks.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Very complicated situation.
In a nutshell:
The officials will most likely be named in the law suit. They will have to lawyer up. HOPEFULLY they have coverage for this (our association provides this and I THINK NASO does as well but not sure) There is a chance that their names will be thrown out of the law suit. There is also a chance that their counsel will settle to avoid the cost / time of court while admitting no fault.
Any and all game film will be under subpoena. I would STRONGLY advise that the two officials speak to no one but their lawyers about the game and immediately write down (noterized would be nice or just forwarded to their lawyer) EVERYTHING they can remeber about the game and incident. Over time memories fade and you "misremember". It would be a nice starting point for their defense.
Hope that helps a little.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:30pm
We don't rent pigs

"Anybody can sue anybody for anything."

Judge Joseph Wapner

Having said that, and having read discussions on the subject here several times, I have yet to hear/read anything that would give such a suit against any official any merit.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

JAR a lot of it would have to be what the video shows. Since neither of us have seen it, then I would not say there is no merit to them being in the law suit.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

From past experience, these girls have very few skill and just beat up on one another game after game.

They are the hardest to officiate.

I had one game that was 11-12 in Double OT with 50 fouls and not a single basketball. ALL FREE THROWS.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
JAR a lot of it would have to be what the video shows. Since neither of us have seen it, then I would not say there is no merit to them being in the law suit.
No matter what the video shows, the officials are not responsible for injuries, in spite of what the fans say: "Y'all are gonna let somebody get hurt out there!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No matter what the video shows, the officials are not responsible for injuries, in spite of what the fans say: "Y'all are gonna let somebody get hurt out there!"
And you know this because.....

If we are not responsible, why do we carry insurance?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
What about negligence? Official observes a kid with a metal splint on his finger, examines it, and mistakenly allows it. In the game the metal splint pokes out the eye of another player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
And you know this because.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What about negligence? Official observes a kid with a metal splint on his finger, examines it, and mistakenly allows it. In the game the metal splint pokes out the eye of another player.
What law was broken?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that JrHi games are basically scrums. BUT, if the video shows you were negligent in your duties, you could be in trouble. The first question the officials are going to be asked is this "How did she end up on the ground?" If you can't answer that, it will be EASY to prove negligence on the officials part. If the player went down due to some type of retaliation from the other player, negligence/standard of care again. No we don't "cause" injuries but we can be held responsible.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What law was broken?
We are talking about a CIVIL lawsuit, not a CRIMINAL one. Proof of negligence in your duties is grounds for a judgement against you.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:51pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I know that JrHi games are basically scrums. BUT, if the video shows you were negligent in your duties, you could be in trouble. The first question the officials are going to be asked is this "How did she end up on the ground?" If you can't answer that, it will be EASY to prove negligence on the officials part. If the player went down due to some type of retaliation from the other player, negligence/standard of care again. No we don't "cause" injuries but we can be held responsible.
I'd like to see a written definition of negligence in officiating a jr. hi or below basketball game.

A guy is speeding 100 mph and has a wreck. Is the cop who was on duty responsible?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd like to see a written definition of negligence in officiating a jr. hi or below basketball game.

A guy is speeding 100 mph and has a wreck. Is the cop who was on duty responsible?
It depends. Was the cop chasing them? Did the speeder pass in front of an officer who was monitoring traffic? Were other people involved in the accident? What types of and how many injuries were there? I mean, Barney Fife guarding the bank with his one bullet will not be held negligent for an accident with injuries on I - 95
There is a reason that police departments now have STRICT regulations regarding high speed chases. That is because they HAVE been found as contributory to accidents in these type of chases.
As far as JrHi or below level of basketball, what difference does that make? An officials responsibilities are the same whether it is a college game or an itty bitty league game
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'd agree wioth the "get a lawyer" advice, and documenting, while it's still fresh in their minds, the incident. Then, I'd follow the lawyer's advice, and not anything (unless it's coinicdentally the same) you read here -- includign the advice in the first sentence of my reply.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 05:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

If that cop observed him speeding and chose not to enforce the speed limit, then yes, he could be held to some level of culpability.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Jan 16, 2011 at 06:31pm.