The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

KS - Neb Injury

I learned a great lesson today watching the Kansas - Nebraska game. In the second half the Nebraksa center missed a layup. He tried to steal the ball and did a face plant on the court. Kansas immediately transitioned on a 5 - 4 break. As an official, I find myself watching the officials and not the players. The Center official kept glancing back and forth from both ends of the court. As KS had the ball on the top of the key the announcer said that a Nebraska player was still down with an injury at the other end. KS made an inside pass, missed a shot that rebounded back to them at the foul line. The C immediately stopped play for the injury. Player had a bloody nose. I thought this was great game management because C kept glancing to see the injured player, they gave KS one shot since they were in transition, and immediately stopped play. I find myself always wanting to stop the game when a player gets injured. Obviously this is all dependent on the level of the play but I think the way this crew handled it would also be appropriate for a HS level game.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
they gave KS one shot since they were in transition, and immediately stopped play.
I agree it was handled correctly and the C showed great awareness of the situation. I just want to point out that these injury situations are handled differently in NCAA and NFHS. In both cases, the play is killed when the offensive team stops moving to the basket or when the offensive play has been completed. However, "scoring play" is handled differently.

In HS, the scoring play is completed when the try is released. You blow the whistle immediately. If the ball goes in, it counts. If it misses, we go to the arrow.

In NCAA, the scoring play is allowed to continue until the offensive team has stopped attempting to score. So if a shot is released and misses, but the offensive team gets the rebound right under the basket, we're going to wait for the put-back before we blow the whistle. If that player passes the ball instead of shooting it, then the scoring play is over and we blow the whistle for the injury.

So the crew on that game handled it correctly. They didn't stop the game because they gave Kansas their "one try" and then killed it. They stopped the game because the scoring play had ended when the ball came out to the free throw line.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

By Rule, Or By Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
In HS, the scoring play is completed when the try is released. You blow the whistle immediately. If the ball goes in, it counts. If it misses, we go to the arrow.
Is this by rule, or by mechanic? Citations please, and if it's a mechanic, is it NFHS, or IAABO?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I would like to see citations too . . . thanks.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:54am
Huck Finn

I'm not sure why the C was worried/looking at the injured player. If this were to happen to me and I was the new Trail, I would physically put myself into a position to make sure nobody ran into or over the player on the floor. The crew is already down to two officials, why would the C be looking?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Attention Rookie Officials

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
If this were to happen to me and I was the new Trail, I would physically put myself into a position to make sure nobody ran into or over the player on the floor.
Great point to new officials. Also, I know it's going to be hard to do, because I've been unable to stop myself from doing it, but, don't touch the player, help him, or her, up, make any kind of diagnosis, etc. Liability, and negligence, is lurking.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I'm not sure why the C was worried/looking at the injured player. If this were to happen to me and I was the new Trail, I would physically put myself into a position to make sure nobody ran into or over the player on the floor. The crew is already down to two officials, why would the C be looking?
I'm guessing from the fact that the C was preoccupied, the T didn't hang back; although I don't know why he wouldn't.
If he did, you're right.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Citations please
NFHS 5-8-2 NOTE (notice "throwing for goal"); NCAA 5-10-7a (notice "ceasing to attempt to score").
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
NFHS 5-8-2 NOTE (notice "throwing for goal"); NCAA 5-10-7a (notice "ceasing to attempt to score").
You are wise beyond your years.