The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

That's when something's really bothering someone so much they need to get it off their chest
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I am saying it's a positive thing to restrict the number of visits. Why should *anyone* get nine state tournaments (for example) when there are people out there who are good officials who get hired by all the local conferences and work full schedules year-after-year sit home?

No officials are so good that the tournament is markedly poorer but for their absence. One official or even a small group of officials are simply not that important.
I agree with you there. Unfortunately in Iowa, many of the same guys work year after year, both boys and girls state tournaments. There are guys who work both tournaments 15 consecutive years or more. The same holds true in baseball. I have a hard time believing there are so few good officials in the entire state that they have to use the same officials every year. It seems that once a person gets the chance, which is rare, they will get to come back on a pretty regular basis until their officiating career is finished.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
I agree with you there. Unfortunately in Iowa, many of the same guys work year after year, both boys and girls state tournaments. There are guys who work both tournaments 15 consecutive years or more. The same holds true in baseball. I have a hard time believing there are so few good officials in the entire state that they have to use the same officials every year. It seems that once a person gets the chance, which is rare, they will get to come back on a pretty regular basis until their officiating career is finished.
Are you talking State Finals or just tournament? I am asking because the State Finals is very different than State Tournament. I have no problem with officials working in the State tournament for years if they have the ratings and considered the best. But working the State Finals would be another issue as that is the top level. And we have 4 separate tournaments that start (technically 8 if you include classes and genders) and not everyone is available to work all of them. As a matter of fact many do not make themselves available for all of them.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is This Fallout From The Tim Donaghy Situation ???

"As an official, you can't go into a game, any game, with an agenda, other than to do the best job possible".

"It is apparent some refs have an agenda. It may be subconscious but it is obvious nonetheless".

I give up. For the life of me I don't know of any officials having agendas other than to do the best job possible, especially in high school varsity games. Maybe, in some low level games, we get a few guys who want to get in, get out, and get paid, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Just what agenda are they blogging about? Are they implying that some of us are cheating? If so, I can feel my shirt ripping ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 05:57pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"As an official, you can't go into a game, any game, with an agenda, other than to do the best job possible".

"It is apparent some refs have an agenda. It may be subconscious but it is obvious nonetheless".

I give up. For the life of me I don't know of any officials having agendas other than to do the best job possible, especially in high school varsity games. Maybe, in some low level games, we get a few guys who want to get in, get out, and get paid, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Just what agenda are they blogging about?
That is why anyone can write a blog. I have no idea what that agenda would be either. And since I am from the area in many cases we will not see a team more than once in a few years. And if we keep going back it is probably because the game we are on is a bigger game in the conference and we happened to be open. Unlike many here we do not work for one Grand Puba that puts us on big game in the area. We might not be available for certain games at all during the season for certain assignors and in which we might not work a so-called "big game" or even the top teams. Most games are not all that or have that great of players.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you talking State Finals or just tournament? I am asking because the State Finals is very different than State Tournament. I have no problem with officials working in the State tournament for years if they have the ratings and considered the best. But working the State Finals would be another issue as that is the top level. And we have 4 separate tournaments that start (technically 8 if you include classes and genders) and not everyone is available to work all of them. As a matter of fact many do not make themselves available for all of them.

Peace
My guess is Mike's talking about the officials who go to Des Moines for the State Tournament; essentially the Elite 8 for each division (IMS).
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My guess is Mike's talking about the officials who go to Des Moines for the State Tournament; essentially the Elite 8 for each division (IMS).
That is what I thought and I am sure that is what he meant.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is what I thought and I am sure that is what he meant.

Peace
Correct, that is what I was talking about.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Just what agenda are they blogging about? Are they implying that some of us are cheating? If so, I can feel my shirt ripping ...

I think that is what many of them are implying, that some of us cheat or try to screw over certain coaches or teams. I can honestly say that I have never worked a game where I cared who won, nor have I ever worked with another official who seemed to care either; and we have all worked games with certain coaches who are always unpleasant to deal with. That doesn't mean we try to influence the outcome of the game to get back at them. I wish some of these coaches and fans could listen in on my post game discussions with my partners. We don't talk about who won the game; we talk about how we worked as a team and critique our own performances. I think most officials are harder on themselves than fans and coaches would believe. I always try to be critical of myself in an attempt to improve and so do most of the guys I work with regularly.

Are there bad officials? Sure there are, just like there are bad coaches, players, doctors, salesmen, welders etc. It's been my experience that the bad ones don't last very long and that those of us who stick around awhile try very hard to improve and achieve excellence. To me that is the real beauty of officiating, being able to do a difficult task that most would be afraid to try, and to work well together as a crew and call a great game. People that have never worn a whistle don't understand what goes into it and never will.