View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I wrote. I am saying it's a positive thing to restrict the number of visits. Why should *anyone* get nine state tournaments (for example) when there are people out there who are good officials who get hired by all the local conferences and work full schedules year-after-year sit home?

No officials are so good that the tournament is markedly poorer but for their absence. One official or even a small group of officials are simply not that important.
I agree with you there. Unfortunately in Iowa, many of the same guys work year after year, both boys and girls state tournaments. There are guys who work both tournaments 15 consecutive years or more. The same holds true in baseball. I have a hard time believing there are so few good officials in the entire state that they have to use the same officials every year. It seems that once a person gets the chance, which is rare, they will get to come back on a pretty regular basis until their officiating career is finished.