The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I know that RookieDude doesn't do FIBA and his state doesn't use a shot clock in high school games so I thought it had to be college rules.
Woddy...here in Washington State, the girls side (which I have never officiated) has had a 30 second shot clock for quite some time. (NFHS)

The boys side got a 35 second shot clock last year. Even though I did some small college ball years ago...I still feel like I could do a better job with shot clock management in the H.S. game.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Sun Jan 30, 2011 at 09:35pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
What do you do when a partner kicks a call? Not misses a call or sees it differently, if by rule he gets it wrong...
...But as a partner in this or any situation where I know my partner gets the call wrong by the book, but won't even discuss changing it: what do you do?
This is one issue where knowing who the "R" is on the game becomes important. We certainly don't want to have a protracted on-court discussion, but we also want to get the call correct. If you're the "R", it's your responsibility to "hear" your partner's interpretation and make a decision. If you're not the "R", it's your responsibility to state your interpretation as accurately and concisely as possible, then stand back and allow the "R" to make, and sell, his/her decision. In either case, it's "game on" and don't look back till you get into the locker room.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 10:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I know that RookieDude doesn't do FIBA and his state doesn't use a shot clock in high school games so I thought it had to be college rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Woddy...here in Washington State, the girls side (which I have never officiated) has had a 30 second shot clock for quite some time. (NFHS)

The boys side got a 35 second shot clock last year. Even though I did some small college ball years ago...I still feel like I could do a better job with shot clock management in the H.S. game.
I won't say "I told you so."

I won't. I won't.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 10:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly182310 View Post
This is one issue where knowing who the "R" is on the game becomes important. We certainly don't want to have a protracted on-court discussion, but we also want to get the call correct. If you're the "R", it's your responsibility to "hear" your partner's interpretation and make a decision. If you're not the "R", it's your responsibility to state your interpretation as accurately and concisely as possible, then stand back and allow the "R" to make, and sell, his/her decision. In either case, it's "game on" and don't look back till you get into the locker room.
Where in the book is the R given permission to overrule a called violation?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I thought FIBA was different rules....

I think in FIBA if your partner kicks a call you then get to kick him.

If a player brings a correctable kicked call to your attention I think he is then awarded two kicks and the ball.

If a coach brings a kicked call to your attention after the ball has become live then I believe the coach can only kick himself, his Assistant coach, or his stuttering captain. (coaches choice as per 10.99.556.7.62 articles 11-26)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So your shot clocks are always the same? Meaning when they say "1," it's actually between 0.0000001 and 1? There aren't any models for which "1" means between 1 and 1.99999999?
All that I have seen do this way: the horn sound when they change from 1 to 0.

Ciao
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 06:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Oh my.......

That recommendation of yours goes directly against the rules. The R has never had the power to set aside a call made by another official.

Time to put in some serious rulebook reading time methinks.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Where in the book is the R given permission to overrule a called violation?
Nowhere in the rule book is anyone given permission to overrule a partners' call, but go back to the original scenario of this discussion thread. Both officials made a call. One verbally to everyone to continue playing, no violation had occurred. One whistling a violation. Two officials with obviously two different interpretations, and everyone knows it. A discussion between the officials has to take place. The "R", as crew chief, has the tie breaking responsibility resting on his/her shoulders. Regardless which way it goes, one of the calls is being "overruled". In this case, the calling official overruled the "play on" official.

If only one official makes a call, and the other official knows it's incorrect, the most the other official can do, regardless who is "R" or "U", is bring the error to the calling official's attention, and allow him/her to correct the call if they choose to do so. That is not the case in the context of this discussion. Someone has to be in charge when there are obvious conflicting interpretations between officials.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 12:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
One verbally to everyone to continue playing, no violation had occurred. One whistling a violation. Two officials with obviously two different interpretations, and everyone knows it. A discussion between the officials has to take place. The "R", as crew chief, has the tie breaking responsibility resting on his/her shoulders. Regardless which way it goes, one of the calls is being "overruled". In this case, the calling official overruled the "play on" official.

"Play on" is not a call. No matter how wrong it may be, the whistle wins every time in this "tie."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nowhere in the rule book is anyone given permission to overrule a partners' call, but go back to the original scenario of this discussion thread. Both officials made a call. One verbally to everyone to continue playing, no violation had occurred. One whistling a violation. Two officials with obviously two different interpretations, and everyone knows it. A discussion between the officials has to take place. The "R", as crew chief, has the tie breaking responsibility resting on his/her shoulders. Regardless which way it goes, one of the calls is being "overruled". In this case, the calling official overruled the "play on" official.
Show me. Reading 2-5, I don't see anything about tie-breaking authority; unless there is a goal involved.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 08:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
"Play on" is not a call. No matter how wrong it may be, the whistle wins every time in this "tie."
Yep.