The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Yikes - twice in one day

Yesterday I had two girls "competitive" rec games, first an 8th grade game then a 7th grade game. In both games, virtually the same thing happened - one of the girls got injured pretty bad when a teammate collided with her. In the first game, the injured girl went down hard but, fortunately, didn't hit her head on the floor. The teammate who ran into her got her with the elbow right in the mouth. The injured girl has braces and her upper lip was cut pretty bad. She left the game.

In the second game, it happened on a scrum for a rebound. A rather large girl was in the air and got bumped by a teammate. She came down to the floor and bonked the side of her head. She didn't pass out or seem disoriented, but her coach kept her out the rest of the game (about the last 12 minutes) with a series of ice packs.

I'm telling you - I hate when this stuff happens. And no - I didn't take any action when their parents ran onto the court.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

They wouldn't have been injured if you had called that illegal screen...
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The teammate who ran into her got her with the elbow right in the mouth. The injured girl has braces and her upper lip was cut pretty bad. She left the game.
In recent years I have seen a lot, and I mean a bunch, more players who use mouth guards! It's a good thing too or we'd have more incidents like this! Shame. Hope they're ok.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In recent years I have seen a lot, and I mean a bunch, more players who use mouth guards! It's a good thing too or we'd have more incidents like this! Shame. Hope they're ok.
Are mouth guards considered legal equipment? Must they conform to the color and logo requirements?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Are mouth guards considered legal equipment? Must they conform to the color and logo requirements?
There's another relevant Ron Jeremy joke inside me...just a-dying to get out.

Bad Woddy!

Bad, bad Woddy!
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 02:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Someone take away his little stick. He's stirring again.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 03:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post

I believe someone talked about the future sock police (Nevada?) and the mouth guard police may not be far behind......
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mouth guards used to be required by MIAA but the policy was changed. Mouth guards were blamed for a lot of the player's getting sick. Dirty hands touching the mouth guard and then back in the mouth.

Now, in the MIAA mouth guards are 'recommended' not sure of the exact dates but for awhile mouth guards were 'required' by the MIAA.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

In DE, for DIAA school games, an upper teeth mouth guard is required by the State. A player with braces who does not have one, the state prohibits the player from participating. Of course the game officials are charged with enforcing the state rule.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 03:42pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Wink

Quote:
Yesterday I had two girls "competitive" rec games, first an 8th grade game then a 7th grade game. In both games, virtually the same thing happened - one of the girls got injured pretty bad when a teammate collided with her. In the first game, the injured girl went down hard but, fortunately, didn't hit her head on the floor. The teammate who ran into her got her with the elbow right in the mouth. The injured girl has braces and her upper lip was cut pretty bad. She left the game.

In the second game, it happened on a scrum for a rebound. A rather large girl was in the air and got bumped by a teammate. She came down to the floor and bonked the side of her head. She didn't pass out or seem disoriented, but her coach kept her out the rest of the game (about the last 12 minutes) with a series of ice packs.

I'm telling you - I hate when this stuff happens. And no - I didn't take any action when their parents ran onto the court.
I'm surprised at you, Mark. After all these years are you not familiar with the magical curative powers of the whistle?
Since parents/coaches are always reciting the truism that "You better blow the whistle or someone's gonna get hurt", isn't it axiomatic that if we blow the whistle we can undo the hurt?
Try it next time.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner ???

Quote:
She came down to the floor and bonked the side of her head.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I believe someone talked about the future sock police (Nevada? BillyMac) and the mouth guard police may not be far behind......
Nope, it was BillyMac.

Replacing Injured FT Shooter = Done for game?

BTW the mouth guard police have already come and gone in MA. The requirement to wear one was dropped a couple of years ago.