The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

crowd rushes court

I've been noticing in NCAA Contests that as soon as the final buzzer sounds that the fans are allowed to rush the court.

Why are fans allowed to be more unsporting in NCAA than what is allowed in HS athletics?

The officials have not left the confines of the court, so why is not a T given?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:11am
We don't rent pigs

There is no rule at any level against anyone "rushing the court" after the game is over.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Probably because there's no rule about fans rushing the court when the game is over at any level.

Second, no one in their right mind finds this to be unsporting. If an official even thought about calling a T when the game is over, then they would be committing career suicide. If you're able to become an official next year CHS, might I suggest to never, ever make this call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There is no rule at any level against anyone "rushing the court" after the game is over.
Actually JAR, here, especially for State Playoffs, no one is to rush the court after a game is over with. But then there's also bicycle barricades & paid crowd control between the fans & the court here for the State Championship games.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

I'd love to see some of these threads receive the correct answer and then have no further posts.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 07:42am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Actually JAR, here, especially for State Playoffs, no one is to rush the court after a game is over with. But then there's also bicycle barricades & paid crowd control between the fans & the court here for the State Championship games.
There's paid crowd control at college games, too. But that won't stop 10,000 drunk college kids from getting what they want.

EDIT: Oh, and at my alma mater, they always made an announcement that nobody is allowed to rush the court...but it happens anyway
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 08:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The point being made is, as officials, we have no idea nor do we care to on this one.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'd love to see some of these threads receive the correct answer and then have no further posts.
Why?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:39am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Why are fans allowed to be more unsporting in NCAA than what is allowed in HS athletics?

Do the math.

Thousands of fans vs. a dozen or so security and officiating crew.

Unless there's more business to be had (free throws, et al), save yourself and get off the damn court.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been noticing in NCAA Contests that as soon as the final buzzer sounds that the fans are allowed to rush the court.

How is rushing the court to celebrate unsporting?

A) no rule against it
B) Officials don't care- their job is done
C) no way to stop it. Part of my job involves controlling large amounts of people and the only way you can do that effectively is with a large amount of police and security yourself. It's not worth even trying if you don't have sufficient numbers which I can tell you they most likely don't.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

chaseagle - I haven't been on this forum all that long but lurked for a while before joining. Based on some of the comments you make, I hope you never get the opportunity to officiate a game. From reading your posts I get the idea that the "power" woudl go to your head and you would be giving T's left and right, throwing people out of the gym, ejecting players and coaches, etc.

The game does not need officials like that. I have dealt with table personnel like you and it makes for a LONG night
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyintn View Post
chaseagle - i haven't been on this forum all that long but lurked for a while before joining. Based on some of the comments you make, i hope you never get the opportunity to officiate a game. From reading your posts i get the idea that the "power" woudl go to your head and you would be giving t's left and right, throwing people out of the gym, ejecting players and coaches, etc.

The game does not need officials like that. I have dealt with table personnel like you and it makes for a long night

+1
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
chaseagle - I haven't been on this forum all that long but lurked for a while before joining. Based on some of the comments you make, I hope you never get the opportunity to officiate a game. From reading your posts I get the idea that the "power" woudl go to your head and you would be giving T's left and right, throwing people out of the gym, ejecting players and coaches, etc.

The game does not need officials like that. I have dealt with table personnel like you and it makes for a LONG night
+2

Chseagle, MANY of your posts seem to focus on the most trivial things that officials, scorers, and others should NEVER worry about.

While reading some of your posts I have had the same thoughts. IE- I hope this guy never becomes a game official because he just does not seem to have the temperment or judgement required to be a good official.

JMHO.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
But that won't stop 10,000 drunk college kids from getting what they want.
I knew a girl who used to say that.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
+2

Chseagle, MANY of your posts seem to focus on the most trivial things that officials, scorers, and others should NEVER worry about.

While reading some of your posts I have had the same thoughts. IE- I hope this guy never becomes a game official because he just does not seem to have the temperment or judgement required to be a good official.

JMHO.
I thought I had chseagle as a scorer in my game on Friday. Midway through the second quarter, I'm buzzed over to the table. Scorer says to me "Number 5's shirt is untucked and he was already warned about it." Number 5 also happened to be the visiting team's best player...