The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I dress on-site but I usually arrive in sweats and a tee shirt. I just assume nobody will notice me beforehand. Never put much thought about other than comfort.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
I dress on-site but I usually arrive in sweats and a tee shirt. I just assume nobody will notice me beforehand. Never put much thought about other than comfort.
Everybody notices you.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Dress nice in Milwaukee? A contradiction in terms.
Please, I've been in your neck of the woods: Don't act like it's any better down there.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Please, I've been in your neck of the woods: Don't act like it's any better down there.
Ha, rap in Milwaukee is a Lawrence Welk Polka party
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And if I were told that this was a requirement, I would adjust accordingly. But, as it is, I would be shocked to learn that my current assignor had ever spoken the word "belt" in a basketball discussion. As stated before, I have no problem with a dress code of any kind. I do have a problem with "A belt is not forbidden, but you won't get games if you wear one." And I have a really big problem with "A belt is not forbidden, but you won't get games if you wear one, and nobody will tell you that's the reason."
There are a lot of things not forbidden that I will never do. I do not need a requirement to choose to do what is right or to do what looks the best. You can do whatever you want and look any way you choose to.

And as someone said you will work games. The kind of games or where you work games might be another issue. And if you can live with that then that is up to you. I know what I am going to do and what I will look like. And I am not coming to a game in my uniform. They better find a place to put me, because that is not going to be worn in the winter and mess it up so I look like a slob before the game starts.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I like to arrive at games and sit on the bench wearing my full uniform. I think it sets a good tone for the evening. Now for games I officiate.................(sorry can't use blue font!)

For some HS games I arrive from work so I am sporting the tie. Our HS association does not allow us to wear Jeans to games but we can wear "nice" sweat suits. It did have to be pointed out to some of our more veteran officials that a Leisure Suit is NOT a sweat suit!! Although it was pointed out that both have bell bottoms!
For college games it is always at least business casual.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. Blackwell Is Watching From Above ...

Games assigned by our IAABO board assigner: Come dressed in business casual for night games (junior varsity, and varsity). All high school sites have changing, and shower, facilities. Maybe even a tie for prep school games. For afternoon games (4:00 p.m. freshman, and 3:30 p.m. middle school) come dressed in uniform due to time constraints, and lack of changing facilities at middle schools.

Games assigned by our Catholic middle school assigner: Come dressed in uniform due to lack of changing facilities.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Probably would look more professional to arrive in a limo, but I have a 4 wheel drive truck.
I often drive my 4x4 too.....of course, if it even smells like inclement weather here, SCHOOL CLOSED, GAMES POSTPONED!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 06:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Ha, rap in Milwaukee is a Lawrence Welk Polka party
HEY Fullor, be nice, Uncle Lawrence and my wife are (were) family!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 12:02am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There are a lot of things not forbidden that I will never do. I do not need a requirement to choose to do what is right or to do what looks the best. You can do whatever you want and look any way you choose to.

And as someone said you will work games. The kind of games or where you work games might be another issue. And if you can live with that then that is up to you. I know what I am going to do and what I will look like. And I am not coming to a game in my uniform. They better find a place to put me, because that is not going to be worn in the winter and mess it up so I look like a slob before the game starts.

Peace
Why the attitude, Rut? I thought we had agreed earlier that if it's ok with everyone local, it's ok, period. I wear what I wear and work varsity as much as anybody here. You want to tell me what you will do, what is right, and what looks best. Fine. Move down here and see how you get along. I believe you have stated that you choose not to work girls games or lower level games. Your privilege. You can sit at home, patting yourself on the back about your neat wardrobe, because you will get no games at all.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

JAR Dress Code

If any of you guys on the forum could see how JAR dressed in real life, you would be thankful he comes to the games in his uniforms.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 02:37am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
If any of you guys on the forum could see how JAR dressed in real life, you would be thankful he comes to the games in his uniforms.
+1

Unprofessional doesn't even scratch the surface.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 03:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why the attitude, Rut? I thought we had agreed earlier that if it's ok with everyone local, it's ok, period. I wear what I wear and work varsity as much as anybody here. You want to tell me what you will do, what is right, and what looks best. Fine. Move down here and see how you get along. I believe you have stated that you choose not to work girls games or lower level games. Your privilege. You can sit at home, patting yourself on the back about your neat wardrobe, because you will get no games at all.
I am just telling you what I am going to do and represent. It does not matter where I would live; I am not going to a game looking like a slob, just as I would not do the same on a date or a job interview. Where I live does not change that fact or how professional I would dress.

Also do not try to muddy the water of this conversation about girl's and lower level games. I do not get asked to work those games. And we are not slaves to associations like many here seem to be, we are independent contractors and treated as such.

We have over 6000 basketball officials state wide, they do not need the same officials to work lower level games that work varsity and college games. Lower level games are training grounds for officials to get experience and to be evaluated, not to have some big time veteran to take up a slot that a newer and lesser experienced official can fill and learn this craft. What I wear has nothing to do with what games I would have to work. Unless you have a rule that forbids wearing beltless pants or wearing a specific shirt than I think I would be OK. And since I do not know where to buy a pair of belted pants that I would even like the quality of, I think I would not be looking to wear them anytime soon, so I still would be good.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 03:46am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It does not matter where I would live;

Also do not try to muddy the water of this conversation about girl's and lower level games. I do not get asked to work those games.
Not that uncommon, but you kinda missed the point.

Here, I like the way things are put in perspective. Performance is everything.
Seniority and experience are a lot. Appearance is a consideration, but I think it would have to be shockingly bad to alter one's assignments.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
+1

Unprofessional doesn't even scratch the surface.
OK, I confess I'm imagining something along these lines: