The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:51am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I always dress at game site. Sometimes I might grab something to eat on the way and don't want to worry about spillage. Early morning AAU? Different story.

Some guys come dressed though.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
For varsity, a decent pair of jeans and shirt is all that's required - very few even wear khakis or slacks.
May I suggest that you set the example. If you dress nicer, maybe others will to. I don't think a tie is necessary, but slacks is certainly preferable to jeans.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:05am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bktballref View Post
may i suggest that you set the example. If you dress nicer, maybe others will to. I don't think a tie is necessary, but slacks is certainly preferable to jeans.
+1
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We've been instructed not to come dressed for any high school games. All the schools provide a private room for us. We've also been instructed to go business casual, although jeans are typically ok for sub-varsity games. I've seen guys come in sweats for a Saturday morning sophomore game, but sweats have been explicitly discouraged.

I haven't done ms games here yet, so I don't know how that works.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
May I suggest that you set the example. If you dress nicer, maybe others will to. I don't think a tie is necessary, but slacks is certainly preferable to jeans.
Appreciate the suggestion. I would say that I am one of the "nicest" dressed at games. I wear dress shoes, not tennis shoes. I typically wear dark, nice jeans, not every-day. Sometimes I even wear slacks if i had them on for work. I wear a sweater, not a sweatshirt.

I'd prefer we all wear slacks and sweaters or button downs, but I'm also not going to go so far beyond what is typical as to be noticeable.

Slowly, it seems, good changes are happening around here in terms of upping the professionalism of our association. More training, more meetings, more discussion of appearance (including how and when we arrive). But we aren't to slacks and dress shirts for everyone yet.

I mean, I do live in the Wild West.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Most here wear black wind pants, a solid color t-shirt with a gray or black v-neck pullover and athletic (not game) shoes.

Prior to moving here it was usually Khakis and polo shirt.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Like many who have posted, we always dress at the gym for Varsity level games. There are those that will wear their uniforms to lower level games. But it is frowned upon. Put me in the group of always dress at the gym.

Ten years ago everyone wore slacks and business casual was the accepted dress. Now jeans have made their way in. Those of us over 50 almost always wear slacks. The 40-50 group is about half and half and the ones below 40 probably only own one pair of slacks and those are reserved for weddings and funerals.

IMO, jeans, button-up shirt and no sneakers is fine. That is better than a lot of the AD's around here dress.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Saw JV official last night in far northern WI wearing a collared shirt, lanyard was a black shoe string tied together, black pants with brown belt (complete with cell phone hanging from the belt), and camo shoes. Nearly died laughing. I don't even want to talk about mechanics.

Oh yeah - he was also the AD. Unbelievable!!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:47am
Do not give a damn!!

This is not an association issue as associations cannot dictate every thing we do. But an assignor can and many of them will pull your games if you do this. Always come in street clothes no matter the level. There is snow on the ground during a good portion of the season or the ground is wet, I would never come in cloths and shoes that I plan to work on an indoor court. Not happening.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I typically change at the site, regardless of the level of ball being played.

For rec games, sweats or shorts (depending on the weather) get worn to/from the game site.

MSHSAA-sanctioned games (JH or HS): slacks (strongly encouraged) of some kind and a nice shirt or sweater, never jeans.

College: slacks (absolute requirement) and a sport coat.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

The only time we go dressed to games is for JR. High games. We do so because most often it is hard to find a place to change other than a bathroom that the fans use. I never go dressed to a varsity game. I am almost always dressed professionally (dress pants, polo shirts, sometimes shirt and tie, and for playoffs I wear a sport coat) I also will always shower after my game and be dressed the same way as I entered. We have 2 gyms that do not have showers and I hate going there because I like to shower after my game. When I am at those schools I do bring a pair of sweats for the way home.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Depends...

Most middle schools and a fair number of smaller high schools don't have adequate changing facilities for the officials - for those I go dressed, except for game shoes which I change at the site. Otherwise, I dress business casual (slacks/polo shirt or sweater) and change at the site.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

I go to the occasional lower-than-varsity game with my under-stuff on, and put on the stripes, pants and shoes when I get there. To me, you shouldn't be seen in your uniform unless you are on the floor. Varsity and college, go dressed professionally and change in the locker room. At least that's what I do.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:11pm
We don't rent pigs

Almost without exception, we arrive in uniform at all levels.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Almost without exception, we arrive in uniform at all levels.
I mean, if you're wearing a belt anyway....