The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think one thing that's missing here is a lot of times the things that make up the first impression aren't thought about. It may be subconscious, but it doesn't make it less real.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I've looked at websites from Honig's, Gerry Davis, Ump-Attire, Between the Lines, and Purchase Officials and Honig's is the only one that has belted pants on their site and those are women's pants.
I belong to an organization that runs one of the biggest camps in the state of Illinois on one day. Three retailers come to our camps (in all sports) and Honigs and Gerry Davis are two of the regulars along with a company called Official's Call. I cannot think of a single one of them that brings a single pair of pants with belts. Now if they do they are certainly not front and center, just like when the Baseball and Softball Clinic comes around you do not see other items that would be considered "amateur" in nature in those sports.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 08:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
....sit in the stands with someone that evaluates officials and one of the first things that are talked about are what you look like physically and in your uniform.
Obviously, that would be one of the first things talked about, because that is the first thing they would see. But I would think (hope) that what they see later would often overshadow uniform issues, whether positive or negative.

"That guy looks sharp, but it's obvious he has never called at this level."

"That guy looks like he slept in that uniform, but he sure knows what he's doing."

I would rather not be either of those, but I'd rather be the second than the first.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Obviously, that would be one of the first things talked about, because that is the first thing they would see. But I would think (hope) that what they see later would often overshadow uniform issues, whether positive or negative.

"That guy looks sharp, but it's obvious he has never called at this level."

"That guy looks like he slept in that uniform, but he sure knows what he's doing."

I would rather not be either of those, but I'd rather be the second than the first.
I would rather not called either.

I will say this again. The fact that you are just about the only person trying to dismiss the way you look is telling to me.

I do not read anyone trying to act as if what we wear is irrelevant.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will say this again. The fact that you are just about the only person trying to dismiss the way you look is telling to me.
I dismiss everyone's appearance, relatively speaking. My last 2 partners were quite a contrast. One wears beltless pants, is always neat, and in great shape..........and rarely blows the whistle. My partner last night has small white stripes on his shoes and often has his shirt tail hanging out at the end of the night. But the second guy has been around a long time, is totally unflappable, and while he is not my favorite partner, calls the same game every night regardless of the situation.

I'd like to have the first guy pose for the pictures, in both our places, but anybody who has seen both would rather be on the court with the second guy.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I dismiss everyone's appearance, relatively speaking. My last 2 partners were quite a contrast. One wears beltless pants, is always neat, and in great shape..........and rarely blows the whistle. My partner last night has small white stripes on his shoes and often has his shirt tail hanging out at the end of the night. But the second guy has been around a long time, is totally unflappable, and while he is not my favorite partner, calls the same game every night regardless of the situation.

I'd like to have the first guy pose for the pictures, in both our places, but anybody who has seen both would rather be on the court with the second guy.
False Dichotomy

It's like asking if you should learn the rules or learn how to deal with coaches. Someone asked recently about "the whole package." This is part of the whole package; and deciding to ignore a piece of it may work well in some areas of the country, but not very many.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
False Dichotomy

It's like asking if you should learn the rules or learn how to deal with coaches. Someone asked recently about "the whole package." This is part of the whole package; and deciding to ignore a piece of it may work well in some areas of the country, but not very many.

Not saying ignore it, just saying keep it in it's proper perspective.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not saying ignore it, just saying keep it in it's proper perspective.
It is in proper perspective. You will not get a second chance to prove to people you can do the job if you give them the wrong first impression. To sometimes know that someone can officiate takes a lot longer to find out than what you first show them. And that is like anything in life.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The female officials shouldn't have to speak at all. Their association should be doing the talking for them on issues like this. If the association isn't, then that's unacceptable imo.
They need to speak up at the time, saying that it isn't acceptable and then follow up through their association.

Rita
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita c View Post
they need to speak up at the time, saying that it isn't acceptable and then follow up through their association.

Rita
+1