The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Come to game in uniform....or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61316-come-game-uniform-not.html)

MelbRef Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:03am

Come to game in uniform....or not?

I wonder what other association's policy is on coming to a game dressed out in uniform.

Our association encourages us to come to games in street clothes, and get dressed out at location.

stiffler3492 Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04am

For high school games, I always come in street clothes. I've never been to a high school that hasn't provided us with somewhere to change.

Middle school games are a different story. I come dressed to those. I do carry in my shoes, though.

APG Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:12am

I always go to a game site in street clothes. I like to show up to the preceding game and watch. No way I'm going to be in the stands with my gear on.

RobbyinTN Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17am

Our associations policy: HS games - change at site; lower level games - come dressed

I dress at site at all games. I do not like to come in dressed and certainly do not like leaving dressed. I do not want to stand out any more than I already will after a game. I know most folks will recognize me even in street clothes but I figure the more I fit into the crowd the better.

bainsey Fri Jan 28, 2011 01:42am

We're asked to "dress professionally" for all games, and change at the game site. I wear a tie.

Rob1968 Fri Jan 28, 2011 03:48am

A pet peave

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 722551)
I always go to a game site in street clothes. I like to show up to the preceding game and watch. No way I'm going to be in the stands with my gear on.

At too many of the schools in our area, when we have a female partner, the accomodations for her are lacking or non-existent. So, often, a female official will have to come dressed.
With the newer high schools, they are including facilities for the officials, but still just one officials' room/area. Last year, a female partner met me for our game, and she used the restroom side of the the officials' area, while I used the locker side.
I really wish more respect for our female officials were built into the attitude of those who design the facilities.

chseagle Fri Jan 28, 2011 04:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 722587)
At too many of the schools in our area, when we have a female partner, the accomodations for her are lacking or non-existent. So, often, a female official will have to come dressed.
With the newer high schools, they are including facilities for the officials, but still just one officials' room/area. Last year, a female partner met me for our game, and she used the restroom side of the the officials' area, while I used the locker side.
I really wish more respect for our female officials were built into the attitude of those who design the facilities.

Here the facility is 16 years old & we have 2 officials' locker rooms. However majority of the time when we have female officials they are already dressed before arriving at the site. however it doesn't help that periodically the one officials' locker room is used as storage.

grunewar Fri Jan 28, 2011 05:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 722572)
We're asked to "dress professionally" for all games, and change at the game site.

+1

I dress professionally for all school games at all levels. Now, my REC games I may wear my pants and just change my shirt and court shoes.

Eastshire Fri Jan 28, 2011 08:33am

In this area the switch between arriving dressed and dressing on site happens between Freshmen and JV.

Rich Fri Jan 28, 2011 08:43am

I always dress at the game site. We have a few schools where there's no shower provided for us for after the game, but thankfully those are few and far between.

My normal wear in the winter is a pair of khakis or dress slacks and a sweater. It would be a cold day in hell before I wore a tie to a HS game.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722620)
I always dress at the game site. We have a few schools where there's no shower provided for us for after the game, but thankfully those are few and far between.

My normal wear in the winter is a pair of khakis or dress slacks and a sweater. It would be a cold day in hell before I wore a tie to a HS game.

yep - another thing WI does right!!!! :D

Rich Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 722635)
yep - another thing WI does right!!!! :D

I saw a guy work a JV game this week in Dockers and white sneakers, though.

Welpe Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 722615)
In this area the switch between arriving dressed and dressing on site happens between Freshmen and JV.

That's about my personal line as well.

We don't have an official policy that I'm aware of but for everything below Sophomore/JV, I come dressed. I believe there are some small private schools here where the officials come dressed for all games but I've never been to them so that is just hearsay.

jdw3018 Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:31am

Standard here is to go dressed to everything under varsity level. For varsity, a decent pair of jeans and shirt is all that's required - very few even wear khakis or slacks. I normally wear a nice pair of jeans and sweater or button down shirt.

There is one nearby school most go dressed even for varsity as their facilities just aren't conducive to dressing.

About half the schools I call have good shower facilities, half don't. I bring a towel and/or sweats based on whether I'll be able to shower afterwards or not. I certainly prefer to shower.

stir22 Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:47am

i like to look professional and go in nice clothes, because i like to watch games before, and especially after, to learn from the varsity crew......whatever level. but, some of the middle and jr. high schools don't have changing/shower facilities, so those games i go dressed and leave right after. i don't want to sit in the stands in a ref uniform.

i don't go over the top like with a tie or anything, but i show up dressed as a substitute teacher would.