The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 10:37am
9 times

Great night

Worked a crosstown rivalry game with my older brother (my all time favorite partner) and an up and coming official last night. Gym was packed (about 2000 people) and LOUD all night. Visitor started out on 11-1 run to open game and home clawed back all night beofre taking their first lead in the 4th quarter and pulling out a win. Coaches coached, players played and we stayed out of the way. Soooo much fun.

Bad news for BITS, Orem was visiting team.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Coaches coached, players played, cheerleaders cheered, fans fanned, bands banned, and we stayed out of the way.
My favorite kind of game!
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Coaches coach? Rare
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

When I have a coach's meeting I simply say "Coaches coach, players play and officials officiate - as long as we do what we came here to do tonight and not the other person's job, we should have a good game" Unfortunately some coaches still think we officials need help with our job
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
When I have a coach's meeting I simply say "Coaches coach, players play and officials officiate - as long as we do what we came here to do tonight and not the other person's job, we should have a good game" Unfortunately some coaches still think we officials need help with our job
Calling Snaq's signature....
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Calling Snaq's signature....
Hardly. I don't get into any rules - just let the coaches know up front that we aren't going to spent that night listening to them gripe at every call. Actually I have had less issues with coaches since using that line than I did before.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Hardly. I don't get into any rules - just let the coaches know up front that we aren't going to spent that night listening to them gripe at every call. Actually I have had less issues with coaches since using that line than I did before.
It fits in the signature, far as I'm concerned.

As I see it, telling coaches you aren't going to take any crap plants the seed that they're going to have a reason to give you crap in the first place. Or that you're unapproachable, which can be even worse.

"Hi (Bill), Rich, good to see you again. (Are all your players properly attired?) Good luck tonight."

It doesn't vary from night to night. Except when I'm the R and I add the part in parentheses. And the name of the coach isn't always Bill, of course.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It fits in the signature, far as I'm concerned.
Your opinion of course - doesn't mean I have to agree with you or accept it.

I don't say it in a harsh way and I say it to coaches that I have officiated with for years and we all understand what we mean by it. Again no issues.

If it is a new coach or someone I seldom call their games, I simply say "Let's play a good clean game, any questions?" and leave it at that.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I couldn't possibly care if you agree or accept. It's just my opinion.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't possibly care if you agree or accept. It's just my opinion.
At least we agree on something

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 01:15pm.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I don't say it in a harsh way and I say it to coaches that I have officiated with for years and we all understand what we mean by it. Again no issues.

If it is a new coach or someone I seldom call their games, I simply say "Let's play a good clean game, any questions?" and leave it at that.
Does it work? I mean, do you get less grief from coaches, in general, when you use the line? Not that it matters a whole lot, I won't be adding it; but I know some officials in my area that use a variation of it when they're R.

When I'm R, my coach meeting is almost as short as my captains meeting. We have to give them each a card with our names written on them. 5 seconds on sportsmanship (required by the state), 5 seconds on attire, a quick word on timeouts (I've noticed this helps with moving the game along), good luck coach, and we're done.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Does it work? I mean, do you get less grief from coaches, in general, when you use the line?
I'm interested in the level of games that he calls. I know that in my games the coaches wouldn't react to this well. You'd be branded unapproachable or worse.

You may hear less from the coach, but the assignor might hear more.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it seems to work BUT understand this is said to coaches that I have worked with for years so they understand what I mean and expect and they also know they can still approach me about a call and I am okay with that. BTW, this is not my line, I learned it from a seasoned official a while back - seemed to work well with him so with permission I started using it.

I would not say it to a coach that is a coach I have never been around ,etc. As I said, I simply say to them "let play a good clean game, any questions?" .

I have very few issues with coaches. I answer their questions if appropriate but if they have worked with me before they also know I am not going to let them question every call/no call during a game. The crew I am on continually is requested by schools so obviously we are doing something right.

I do HS mainly but will also work JV and MS if needed - I am not insulted to be asked to do a MS game like so many officials are. My assigner has never had a complaint about me - or if he has it hasn't been enough to bring to me and I call as often as I want - never in want for games.

Last edited by RobbyinTN; Thu Jan 27, 2011 at 01:31pm.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yes it seems to work BUT understand this is said to coaches that I have worked with for years so they understand what I mean and expect and they also know they can still approach me about a call and I am okay with that. BTW, this is not my line, I learned it from a seasoned official a while back - seemed to work well with him so with permission I started using it.

I would not say it to a coach that is a coach I have never been around ,etc. As I said, I simply say to them "let play a good clean game, any questions?" .

I have very few issues with coaches. I answer their questions if appropriate but if they have worked with me before they also know I am not going to let them question every call/no call during a game. The crew I am on continually is requested by schools so obviously we are doing something right.
OK, so I can gather you're a varsity official, then. I guess my question is (since the coaches are very familiar with you) -- does it really buy you anything? They know you, know what game you call, etc. They like you cause they ask for you. I think they know not to give your crew any grief, phrase or no phrase.

It doesn't change things for you, but a lot of newer officials read advice like this and think it's great and there's no pitfalls involved in using it. Just saying that there can be.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Fair enough about the familiarity aspect, but have you noticed these same familiar coaches complain more if you don't use it?