Thread: Great night
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
Yes it seems to work BUT understand this is said to coaches that I have worked with for years so they understand what I mean and expect and they also know they can still approach me about a call and I am okay with that. BTW, this is not my line, I learned it from a seasoned official a while back - seemed to work well with him so with permission I started using it.

I would not say it to a coach that is a coach I have never been around ,etc. As I said, I simply say to them "let play a good clean game, any questions?" .

I have very few issues with coaches. I answer their questions if appropriate but if they have worked with me before they also know I am not going to let them question every call/no call during a game. The crew I am on continually is requested by schools so obviously we are doing something right.
OK, so I can gather you're a varsity official, then. I guess my question is (since the coaches are very familiar with you) -- does it really buy you anything? They know you, know what game you call, etc. They like you cause they ask for you. I think they know not to give your crew any grief, phrase or no phrase.

It doesn't change things for you, but a lot of newer officials read advice like this and think it's great and there's no pitfalls involved in using it. Just saying that there can be.