The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
I do HS mainly but will also work JV and MS if needed - I am not insulted to be asked to do a MS game like so many officials are. My assigner has never had a complaint about me - or if he has it hasn't been enough to bring to me and I call as often as I want - never in want for games.
I'm off tonight -- I'd work middle school or JV or FR tonight if there was a game close to home needing an official.

I'm not a huge fan of working lower level games except in emergencies. There's a lot of new, learning officials that need the work and I don't need to be competing with them for games. When an assigner is in a bind, of course, is another story altogether.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
OK, so I can gather you're a varsity official, then. I guess my question is (since the coaches are very familiar with you) -- does it really buy you anything? They know you, know what game you call, etc. They like you cause they ask for you. I think they know not to give your crew any grief, phrase or no phrase.

It doesn't change things for you, but a lot of newer officials read advice like this and think it's great and there's no pitfalls involved in using it. Just saying that there can be.
From that perspective I will agree with you. Maybe it doesn't gain me much - it probably has become more of my byline than anything. I might try NOT saying ti tonight and see what happens - they may give me a odd look

You do; however, bring up a good point - I would not suggest a rookie official use this line. I would suggest they keep it very simple - an introduction, ensure players are legal and wish them the best and let it go at that.

I think one fo the most important things an official can do to be a good offical (besides knowing the game backwards and forwards) is to be approachable by a coach. I learned early on NOT to ignore coach's questions - at least acknowledge you heard them even if you don't agree. Of course if they continually are harping, let them knwo you hear them by giving them a warning
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm off tonight -- I'd work middle school or JV or FR tonight if there was a game close to home needing an official.

I'm not a huge fan of working lower level games except in emergencies. There's a lot of new, learning officials that need the work and I don't need to be competing with them for games. When an assigner is in a bind, of course, is another story altogether.
I agree but I also see it as an opportunity to help mentor a new official so he/she can move up the ladder. I was fortunate to work with good seasoned officials when I was starting and was glad they were willing to work lower level games with a rookie that barely knew how to blow a whistle
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 01:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I agree but I also see it as an opportunity to help mentor a new official so he/she can move up the ladder. I was fortunate to work with good seasoned officials when I was starting and was glad they were willing to work lower level games with a rookie that barely knew how to blow a whistle
I'll agree with that. That's why every Sat I do four U13 Rec games usually with four different partenrs each week. Hopefully, I'm looked at like that.

I remember my first game when my partner asked me why I keep Ting up the coach when all he wants is a time out? Hey, what'd I know?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From that perspective I will agree with you. Maybe it doesn't gain me much - it probably has become more of my byline than anything. I might try NOT saying it tonight and see what happens - they may give me a odd look
Had a Varsity girls/boys Saturday night and I didn't do my usual spill in the coach's meeting - just said "let's play a good clean game and have fun". Both coaches know me well and one said (laughing) "since you didn't give your usual words, does that mean I can question all your calls tonight?". We smiled and that was it. Had a great game although we had to start the game with a T because a player was left off the roster
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:01pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'll agree with that. That's why every Sat I do four U13 Rec games usually with four different partenrs each week. Hopefully, I'm looked at like that.

I remember my first game when my partner asked me why I keep Ting up the coach when all he wants is a time out? Hey, what'd I know?
You're the U13? Court must be crowded.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But Ireland Does ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
You're the U13? Court must be crowded.
We don't even have a U2 here in the Consitution State.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a Varsity girls/boys Saturday night and I didn't do my usual spill in the coach's meeting - just said "let's play a good clean game and have fun".
I'm guessing you meant 'spiel'? Or do you have a pre-game drinking problem?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Well, he gets a DOG warning if it's a spill.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yes that is what I meant - but there are times I need a drink after a game
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now Coach, Who Would Spill Water On Purpose ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Well, he gets a DOG warning if it's a spill.
Had my very first one last week. After I reported the DOG warning, and told the coach, he said, "But it was an accident".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=stripes;722256]Worked a crosstown rivalry game with my older brother (my all time favorite partner) and an up and coming official last night. Gym was packed (about 2000 people) and LOUD all night. Visitor started out on 11-1 run to open game and home clawed back all night beofre taking their first lead in the 4th quarter and pulling out a win. Coaches coached, players played and we stayed out of the way. Soooo much fun.

I want to reff where you do! Glad you had a great time! Its those games that remind me of why I reff. This last weekend was GI, GD, GO!!
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 04:28pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
It doesn't change things for you, but a lot of newer officials read advice like this and think it's great and there's no pitfalls involved in using it. Just saying that there can be.
Robby's words look like preventive officiating to me. What pitfalls do you mean, Rich?
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Robby's words look like preventive officiating to me. What pitfalls do you mean, Rich?
I mean that if I'm the coach and the first words by an official to me are about questioning calls, I'm thinking that there'll be a need for me to question a lot of calls. To me, it's starting off on the wrong foot with a coach. I'd rather smile, shake his hand, and wish him and his team well and nothing more. At the varsity level, he should know by now how to talk to an official.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2011, 05:11pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I mean that if I'm the coach and the first words by an official to me are about questioning calls, I'm thinking that there'll be a need for me to question a lot of calls.
+1

It's certainly not the right thing to mention first -- first impressions and all -- but I see nothing wrong with a casual mention of what's expected from questioning. I have something similar at the end of my meeting, which Snaqs has embellished and immortalized in his sig. It works for me, too.

By the way, Robby, don't y'all pronounce spiel "spill" down there, anyway?