The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Great night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61282-great-night.html)

stripes Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37am

Great night

Worked a crosstown rivalry game with my older brother (my all time favorite partner) and an up and coming official last night. Gym was packed (about 2000 people) and LOUD all night. Visitor started out on 11-1 run to open game and home clawed back all night beofre taking their first lead in the 4th quarter and pulling out a win. Coaches coached, players played and we stayed out of the way. Soooo much fun.

Bad news for BITS, Orem was visiting team.

grunewar Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 722256)
Coaches coached, players played, cheerleaders cheered, fans fanned, bands banned, and we stayed out of the way.

My favorite kind of game!

Indianaref Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:35am

Coaches coach? Rare :D

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40am

When I have a coach's meeting I simply say "Coaches coach, players play and officials officiate - as long as we do what we came here to do tonight and not the other person's job, we should have a good game" :D Unfortunately some coaches still think we officials need help with our job :rolleyes:

Rich Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 722279)
When I have a coach's meeting I simply say "Coaches coach, players play and officials officiate - as long as we do what we came here to do tonight and not the other person's job, we should have a good game" :D Unfortunately some coaches still think we officials need help with our job :rolleyes:

Calling Snaq's signature....

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722306)
Calling Snaq's signature....

Hardly. I don't get into any rules - just let the coaches know up front that we aren't going to spent that night listening to them gripe at every call. Actually I have had less issues with coaches since using that line than I did before.

Rich Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 722313)
Hardly. I don't get into any rules - just let the coaches know up front that we aren't going to spent that night listening to them gripe at every call. Actually I have had less issues with coaches since using that line than I did before.

It fits in the signature, far as I'm concerned.

As I see it, telling coaches you aren't going to take any crap plants the seed that they're going to have a reason to give you crap in the first place. Or that you're unapproachable, which can be even worse.

"Hi (Bill), Rich, good to see you again. (Are all your players properly attired?) Good luck tonight."

It doesn't vary from night to night. Except when I'm the R and I add the part in parentheses. And the name of the coach isn't always Bill, of course.

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722318)
It fits in the signature, far as I'm concerned.

Your opinion of course - doesn't mean I have to agree with you or accept it.

I don't say it in a harsh way and I say it to coaches that I have officiated with for years and we all understand what we mean by it. Again no issues.

If it is a new coach or someone I seldom call their games, I simply say "Let's play a good clean game, any questions?" and leave it at that.

Rich Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 722324)

I couldn't possibly care if you agree or accept. It's just my opinion.

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 722329)
I couldn't possibly care if you agree or accept. It's just my opinion.

At least we agree on something

Adam Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 722324)

I don't say it in a harsh way and I say it to coaches that I have officiated with for years and we all understand what we mean by it. Again no issues.

If it is a new coach or someone I seldom call their games, I simply say "Let's play a good clean game, any questions?" and leave it at that.

Does it work? I mean, do you get less grief from coaches, in general, when you use the line? Not that it matters a whole lot, I won't be adding it; but I know some officials in my area that use a variation of it when they're R.

When I'm R, my coach meeting is almost as short as my captains meeting. We have to give them each a card with our names written on them. 5 seconds on sportsmanship (required by the state), 5 seconds on attire, a quick word on timeouts (I've noticed this helps with moving the game along), good luck coach, and we're done.

Rich Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 722336)
Does it work? I mean, do you get less grief from coaches, in general, when you use the line?

I'm interested in the level of games that he calls. I know that in my games the coaches wouldn't react to this well. You'd be branded unapproachable or worse.

You may hear less from the coach, but the assignor might hear more.

RobbyinTN Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:29pm

Yes it seems to work BUT understand this is said to coaches that I have worked with for years so they understand what I mean and expect and they also know they can still approach me about a call and I am okay with that. BTW, this is not my line, I learned it from a seasoned official a while back - seemed to work well with him so with permission I started using it.

I would not say it to a coach that is a coach I have never been around ,etc. As I said, I simply say to them "let play a good clean game, any questions?" .

I have very few issues with coaches. I answer their questions if appropriate but if they have worked with me before they also know I am not going to let them question every call/no call during a game. The crew I am on continually is requested by schools so obviously we are doing something right.

I do HS mainly but will also work JV and MS if needed - I am not insulted to be asked to do a MS game like so many officials are. My assigner has never had a complaint about me - or if he has it hasn't been enough to bring to me and I call as often as I want - never in want for games.

Rich Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyinTN (Post 722343)
Yes it seems to work BUT understand this is said to coaches that I have worked with for years so they understand what I mean and expect and they also know they can still approach me about a call and I am okay with that. BTW, this is not my line, I learned it from a seasoned official a while back - seemed to work well with him so with permission I started using it.

I would not say it to a coach that is a coach I have never been around ,etc. As I said, I simply say to them "let play a good clean game, any questions?" .

I have very few issues with coaches. I answer their questions if appropriate but if they have worked with me before they also know I am not going to let them question every call/no call during a game. The crew I am on continually is requested by schools so obviously we are doing something right.

OK, so I can gather you're a varsity official, then. I guess my question is (since the coaches are very familiar with you) -- does it really buy you anything? They know you, know what game you call, etc. They like you cause they ask for you. I think they know not to give your crew any grief, phrase or no phrase.

It doesn't change things for you, but a lot of newer officials read advice like this and think it's great and there's no pitfalls involved in using it. Just saying that there can be.

Adam Thu Jan 27, 2011 01:32pm

Fair enough about the familiarity aspect, but have you noticed these same familiar coaches complain more if you don't use it?