The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Well fellow officials I have to say I now truely understand why so many of you are in this and have been for many years. I had my first BV game on friday night and it was absolutley incredible.

I picked up the game earlier in the year and have been looking forward to it for over a month. We get to the gym and it is an old time crackerbox gym with a stage at one side. I would say it seats about 1000 and there were 1100 in it typical Indiana small school crowd. My partner and I were meeting another official at the game to work a 3 man crew that we had never met. We did not tell the other official that this was my first varsity game. I was first dressed, not nervous just my regular routine, so it was decided that I would be R for the night. This was something that I had really hoped for. I just wanted to do it all on my first night at this level. Coaches and captins meeting went great. We had had about a 35 minute pregame and the official that we didn't know was a great guy so this put me a ease.

I was so proud of my toss on the tip I cannot wait to see the tape but I think it was perfect. First half went great and the crowd was awesome. Some of my friends had told me I was crazy for doing me first game at a smaller school with a great following saying that I should do it at a larger school that usually has small turnout for games. This is what I wanted the whole atmosphere of the band the crowd and the small gym was great. True Indiana basketball.

Second half was just a good. We had a timeout with about 4 minutes to go in the game and as I was standing waiting for the TO to be over I thought to myself this is why you do this. It was so loud you couldn't hear (actually had trouble hearing partners FOX 40 a couple times) and hot. Game ended up being close throughout with the visitors streching the lead to about 13 with a minute to go. I did kick one call with about 30 seconds left, but was just glad that it didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game.

After the game my regular partner was in the shower and I asked him if he had told the other official before the game and he said no. The other official said tell me what and I told him it was my first BV game. The look on his face was priceless. He said he couldn't believe it that he thought he was working with a veteran official. Then I told him I had only had my liscense for a year. He was very complimentary. Coming form a state tournament official this made me feel very proud.

Sorry this has rambled on I am still just as wired now as I was on Friday night,

On a very sad note. Two officials form the Indianapolis area were in a head on collision Saturday night on there way to there game. One official was killed in the accident and the other is in critical condition. Please keep there families in your prayers.

CentralINRef
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I know how you feel. Had my first BV games this year and loved it. Most were small schools with heavy followings where the gym was a rockin. You gotta love it. One game was so loud we had a double whistle and couldn't hear each other. I especially like the small gyms where the fans are within a few feet of you and are providing their endless wisdom relative to all the "bad" calls. Best one was "watch the five seconds in the lane ref". Been lookin in the rule/case books and still haven't found that one.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Smile

ATTABOY!!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Yes, this is why many of us do this. Glad to see you had fun.

I will keep the families of these officials in my prayers. That kind of keeps the other stuff in perspective though.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CentralINRef
Well fellow officials I have to say I now truely understand why so many of you are in this and have been for many years. I had my first BV game on friday night and it was absolutley incredible.

CentralINRef
Congratulations! I too had a great BV game on Thursday night. Partner was terrific, good pre-game and a real confidence booster. I have had two games that went just the opposite and the down feeling is hard to shake. Games like yours and mine, quickly get you back to where we belong! "Top of the world, mom!"
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Central--

You never forget your first. Don't lose that feeling, it just keeps getting better.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:34pm
M.A.S.H.

That's what it's all about. Got a BV game this Friday...just wondering what my other two partners are going to do to me. Last year, they snuck up to the locker room after the first qrt of the JV game and hid my gear. They left my pre-game jacket out and told me they guessed that I was going to have to wear it for the game. Revenge is gonna be sweet!