Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So you're calling him a liar?
I'm not calling him a liar. But embellishment would be a safe call.

If those officials were that incompetent you would think somewhere in the OP there would be a couple a plays where Jud's team benefitted from gross misapplication of the rules. And what did Jud say to the ref in those situations.

Again, sometime I questioned back on page 1.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

If those officials were that incompetent you would think somewhere in the OP there would be a couple a plays where Jud's team benefitted from gross misapplication of the rules. And what did Jud say to the ref in those situations.

I remember you bringing that up. Frankly, I don't expect him to have done that for a couple of reasons.

1. He's already admitted he was being a jerk.

2. I have never had a coach tell me when he thinks I got a rule wrong in his favor; that's not their job. Their (perceived) job is to let me know when they think their team is getting the short end.

I just don't see that particular angle as telling.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I would never expect a coach to speak up on plays where calls go for his team. Matter of fact, I had that happen this year and the coach was just being a smart a$$ -- after he had already received a technical from me. He almost got the gate.

Coaches are advocates for their teams.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Coaches are advocates for their teams.
Head coaches are advocates for their teams. Assistant coaches like Judtech? Not so much.

Officials should also be advocates for their team, their fellow officials. Unfortunately(in my opinion, very unfortunately), some officials aren't. They'll use the same rationalization that Judtech used..... that the official invited that kind of trouble by not knowing the rules.

As I said, imo there's no excuse for behavior like Judtech's, no matter how incompetent the officials were in his game. I don't remember reading anywhere that the officials were incompetent to HIS team ONLY. There's a right way and a wrong way for coaches to deal with what they think are incompetent officials. Judtech opted to take the way that not only publically demeaned the officials but gave his team an admitted unfair advantage. And he was the assistant coach, not the head coach. That's telling to me.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 04:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
2. I have never had a coach tell me when he thinks I got a rule wrong in his favor; that's not their job. Their (perceived) job is to let me know when they think their team is getting the short end.
Typing this at the ATL USO with what seems like an entire infantry of soldiers either coming home or headed out

Missing the point, Snaqs. I'm not really expecting Jud to have said anything, that's just me being an a$$-hat. But it is total bullsh!t that every glaring mistake by the officials went against his team. His team was just as likely to have some "bad" calls go their way but yet here in the forum, where he doesn't need to advocate for his team, he doesn't have one single instance where he says "we sure got the benefit of some horrible officiating on a couple of plays last night".

Thus my opinion about him embellishing the entire story. I can't trust his accounting of the details of each scenario.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[I][SIZE="1"] Thus my opinion about him embellishing the entire story. I can't trust his accounting of the details of each scenario.
Which begs the question, can anyone really trust anyone elses accounting of details in any scenario? Would you have been more willing to accept the assesment of someone who said they acted in such a way that made them look good? Make them look bad? Conform or contradict your (plural) POV or pre conceived assumptions? A great study is to look at Police Reports or Military After Action reports. More often then not, people who were a part of the same event have different recollections about them. It is just human nature.
Obviously, I was recalling the incidents from my point of view. The officials will have their own point of view, which may or may not correspond with my own recollections. I was not attempting to embellish anything and have stated my reasons for posting what I posted and where I was wrong in my actions.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
1) Obviously, I was recalling the incidents from my point of view.

2)The officials will have their own point of view, which may or may not correspond with my own recollections.
1) And obviously I was basing my response on my point of view of your point of view.

2) My point of view is based solely ON YOUR own recollections.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Advocate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Head coaches are advocates for their teams.
During my dark days as a middle school coach, there were times when I debated with an official to simply show my players, and their parents, that I was going to stick up for them when an official made a mistake.

Did I understand why a mistake was made? Of course, been there, done that. Did I think that my debate with the officials would somehow help us win the game ? No. Did I think that my debate with an official would somehow make him a better official by the end of our game? No.

The one, and only, reason was to show my players, and their parents, that I was going to stick up for them. Was I proud of myself? No. Would I do it again if I started coaching again? Probably.

Keep in mind that over the last twenty-five years that I coached I was only charged with one technical foul, for politely questioning a call when I was out of the coaching box. I was way down in the corner politely questioning a call, so I deserved it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
During my dark days as a middle school coach, there were times when I debated with an official to simply show my players, and their parents, that I was going to stick up for them when an official made a mistake.

Did I understand why a mistake was made? Of course, been there, done that. Did I think that my debate with the officials would somehow help us win the game ? No. Did I think that my debate with an official would somehow make him a better official by the end of our game? No.

The one, and only, reason was to show my players, and their parents, that I was going to stick up for them. Was I proud of myself? No. Would I do it again if I started coaching again? Probably.

Keep in mind that over the last twenty-five years that I coached I was only charged with one technical foul, for politely questioning a call when I was out of the coaching box. I was way down in the corner politely questioning a call, so I deserved it.
A polite T in return, I suppose.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Miss Manners ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
A polite T in return, I suppose.
Yes. He first pointed out my position on the floor, and then let me have it. I knew I was out of the box, but didn't realize that I was that far out of the box until he pointed. He was the lead on my side and I could have shaken hands with him. Not a good idea to even politely question an official when you're that far out of the box.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 30, 2011 at 06:05pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) And obviously I was basing my response on my point of view of your point of view.

2) My point of view is based solely ON YOUR own recollections.
So would I then be reading from my point of view, your point of view, disecting my point of view from the point of view of some one with multiple points of view?
Seriously, I agree with what you are saying. I was more directing my response at BNR.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes. He first pointed out my position on the floor, and then let me have it. I knew I was out of the box, but didn't realize that I was that far out of the box until he pointed. He was the lead on my side and I could have shaken hands with him. Not a good idea to even politely question an official when you're that far out of the box.
Thankfully you didn't respond with either:
Since a box is a 3 dimensional object, how do you know it just didn't 'fall over and I am standing on top of it? (Took me a sec to get it b4 I T'd em)
Where is my box? Because what you pointed to looks more like a rectangle! (REALLY had to turn the filter up a notch on that one, but smiled as I T'd)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
So would I then be reading from my point of view, your point of view, disecting my point of view from the point of view of some one with multiple points of view?
Seriously, I agree with what you are saying. I was more directing my response at BNR.
And you're still missing the point. I'm not saying you are embellishing b/c we are only hearing your POV.

I'm saying you are embellishing b/c every single instance of supposed incompetency went against your team. So if you can't be candid enough to bring up a couple of gaffes by the officials which benefitted your team then I call into question your remembrance of the game period.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And you're still missing the point. I'm not saying you are embellishing b/c we are only hearing your POV.

I'm saying you are embellishing b/c every single instance of supposed incompetency went against your team. So if you can't be candid enough to bring up a couple of gaffes by the officials which benefitted your team then I call into question your remembrance of the game period.
And personally, I think that expectation is ridiculous and not relevant to the OP's story.