The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rules on scoring into an opponent's goal

Amazing, freak inbounds basket helps team land OT win - Prep Rally - High School - Yahoo! Sports

I looked at the NCAA rules, and it would appear to be a legal score for the opposing team of the player who the ball bounced off of before going through the basket, with the caveat that the score is not credited to any particular player with a footnote made in the scorebook. I also found it interesting that an opponent scoring a goal for the other team is always two points no matter where the last contact is.

Is the rule (about the shot being legal and the points not credited to any player) the same under NFHS rules?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. Anytime a live ball enters the hoop, points are credited to the appropriate team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

So under NFHS rules, no player is credited with the score, correct?

If you check the comments there, a lot of people think that the score is credited to the closest inbounds offensive player.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
So under NFHS rules, no player is credited with the score, correct?

If you check the comments there, a lot of people think that the score is credited to the closest inbounds offensive player.
That is correct under NFHS rules.

People think it's credited to the closest offensive player because that's the NBA rule.

NBA
Rule 5, Section I

d. A field goal accidentally scored in an opponent’s basket shall be added to the opponent’s score, credited to the opposing player nearest the player whose actions caused the ball to enter the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Sat Jan 29, 2011 at 05:37pm.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is the rule (about the shot being legal and the points not credited to any player) the same under NFHS rules?
It's not a shot. A shot can only be taken at your own basket. It's just a ball that goes through the basket that counts as two points.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I worked a full day of "a" (not even "A") girl's basketball yesterday. The games are only 20 minutes long. On one play, a girl scored into her opponent's basket and was almost fouled on the "shot", too.

To keep my mind active during these held-ball contests, I went through the implications of actually being fouled when shooting into the opponent's basket. Fun times.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It's not a shot. A shot can only be taken at your own basket. It's just a ball that goes through the basket that counts as two points.
Yeah - I know. However - I've been going over one particular rulebook and the term used is almost always "try".

So technically - the "goal" counted.....
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 07:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yeah - I know. However - I've been going over one particular rulebook and the term used is almost always "try".
And a try is, by definition, towards the player's own basket. Anything towards the wrong basket is simply a thrown ball.

The key with the definition is, if time expires prior to the ball going through the "wrong" basket, it doesn't count. Same if there's a foul on the "shooter" at the wrong basket. Ball is dead, and the player is not considered in the act of shooting when he's fouled. Ball out of bounds for a throw-in unless the bonus is in effect.

I'm not aware this differs at any level.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 08:06pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
In days gone by, a basket was credited to the player closest to the basket. Just like in the olden days of soccer when 'own goals' were credited to the last offensive player to touch the ball. The footnote is something that occurred during the gap, I believe.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And a try is, by definition, towards the player's own basket. Anything towards the wrong basket is simply a thrown ball.

The key with the definition is, if time expires prior to the ball going through the "wrong" basket, it doesn't count. Same if there's a foul on the "shooter" at the wrong basket. Ball is dead, and the player is not considered in the act of shooting when he's fouled. Ball out of bounds for a throw-in unless the bonus is in effect.

This is true at the NFHS, NCAA, and NBA level.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... the term used is almost always "try".
That's the point. It's not in this case.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:24am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

I believe in NBA rules, a try at the wrong goal is a violation.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I believe in NBA rules, a try at the wrong goal is a violation.
Yes, it is a violation to intentionally shoot at the wrong goal. This violation was called when Nate Robinson tried it a couple of years ago at the end of the quarter.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gestapo Fashion Police ...

Black 23 has a white undershirt. Penalty: Hanged, drawn and quartered.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yes, it is a violation to intentionally shoot at the wrong goal. This violation was called when Nate Robinson tried it a couple of years ago at the end of the quarter.
Interesting, is the rule worded so that any attempt at the wrong basket is a violation; or only those where the player knows it's the wrong basket?