The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Attempt At Wrong Basket

6th Grade girls game, A1 recieves inbounds pass from sideline, dribbles to wrong basket and shoots, she misses and moves to get her own rebound, I called traveling. Is this the correct call? because it was not a shot attempt she was basically passing the ball to herself. Was traveling correct??
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
6th Grade girls game, A1 recieves inbounds pass from sideline, dribbles to wrong basket and shoots, she misses and moves to get her own rebound, I called traveling. Is this the correct call? because it was not a shot attempt she was basically passing the ball to herself. Was traveling correct??
See case book play 9.5(b)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

So after looking in the case book it appears I should have called a double dribble, not traveling.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
So after looking in the case book it appears I should have called a double dribble, not traveling.
correct
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:32am
Back from the DL

I never looked at it this way before, but if A-1 dribbles and makes a layup off Team B's backboard, do we always wave off Team B's points and go with a double dribble against A-1?

It also sounds to me like the points would count if the layup never hits the backboard.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:36am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I never looked at it this way before, but if A-1 dribbles and makes a layup off Team B's backboard, do we always wave off Team B's points and go with a double dribble against A-1?

It also sounds to me like the points would count if the layup never hits the backboard.
In this case the second "dribble" is not a dribble unless and until it comes back to the player who threw it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 11:53am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In this case the second "dribble" is not a dribble unless and until it comes back to the player who threw it.
Okay, so the "dribble" is complete on the touch from the backboard, and not the backboard itself. Got it. Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:17pm
#thereferee99

Opponents Backboard = Floor ...

Quote:
Okay, so the "dribble" is complete on the touch from the backboard, and not the backboard itself. Got it. Thanks.
...in this case. Helps think about it.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, the dribble was complete when the dribbler touched the ball with both hands or held it prior to throwing it at the wrong basket.

The ball touching the backboard doesn't constitute the start of a new dribble unless it comes back down without going through the basket. So if this "shot" is missed, it's an illegal dribble; if made, it's 2 points for the opponent and their ball underneath. Either way, the ball is dead when it comes back down.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
No, the dribble was complete when the dribbler touched the ball with both hands or held it prior to throwing it at the wrong basket.

The ball touching the backboard doesn't constitute the start of a new dribble unless it comes back down without going through the basket. So if this "shot" is missed, it's an illegal dribble; if made, it's 2 points for the opponent and their ball underneath. Either way, the ball is dead when it comes back down.
If it comes back down to the same player. If A1 "shoots" at B's basket and the ball hits the backboard and rebounds to A2, all we have is a bounce pass and the ball is live.