The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Not where I was previously
Posts: 1,060
I violated rule #1.....not THAT rule #1

Forgive me board for I have "sorta" sinned. It has been......lets just say a long time since my last confession...
Intersting game Saturday. I actaully verbally criticized an official from my Assistant Coach perch!! Here are the plays:
1. V1 strips the ball, as it rolls on the floor V1 tries to pick it up but it keeps rolling. TRAVEL. "You can't travel if you don't have possesion" Ofc1: "Once she touches it she has possesion."
2. H1 drives to the basket V1 guarding. H1 lowers shoulder and puts V1 into the wall. No call. "Why was there no call? She lowered her shoulder" Ofc2: "They were running side by side when the girl put her shoulder down so no call". ME: "You might want to check LGP in your rule book at half time"
3. H ball. Deflection. H1 takes 2 dribbles in front court, crosses line, and one dribble in back court before returning. No over and back. OFC1: " She didn't have possession" ME: "According to you she did. She "Touched" the ball in front court before going to the back court" Later, same play, but V1 takes one dribble then steps in back court. OFC3 makes the CORRECT call. Wife YELLS across court to first official "That is the same call YOU screwed up. Maybe you should take notes from this guy!" OFC: "I know the rules. I don't need any help" "You don't know s*$%!" with a nice foot stomp for good measure.She got the T!
4. While administering the T. I direct two of our players to stand on the 3 point line behind the shooter. OFC1 blows the whistle and tells our girls to get back behind the line. I tell them to stay exactly where they are and don't tmove (The girls LOVED that) After some back and forth OFC1 tells us we have to move the girls back. I ask him why? He says it is the rules and if we dont' he will eject the head coach. I stood up and asked him in an even voice. "Are you 100% sure you are right? Because if you toss her, you have to send in paperwork. How embarrassed are you going to be when you find out that you ejected a coach becasue YOU don't know the rules." OFC1 "I don't need a lecture on the rules from an Assistant Coach" ME: "Then you make the call, b/c our girls aint moving". OFC3 comes over and huddles them together. Our girls stay. And yes it had the desired affect of freezing their shooter as she proceeded to miss her second shot!

After the game OFC3 comes and apologizes to me about the rules that were kicked. I told him that is fine, at the end of the day you can only be responsible for the calls YOU make and he made the right call on the OandB as well as the T administration. It also helped that we won after being outshot on the FT line by 35. Leading a double life can be so confusing!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:41am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
4. While administering the T. I direct two of our players to stand on the 3 point line behind the shooter. OFC1 blows the whistle and tells our girls to get back behind the line. I tell them to stay exactly where they are and don't tmove (The girls LOVED that) After some back and forth OFC1 tells us we have to move the girls back. I ask him why? He says it is the rules and if we dont' he will eject the head coach. I stood up and asked him in an even voice. "Are you 100% sure you are right? Because if you toss her, you have to send in paperwork. How embarrassed are you going to be when you find out that you ejected a coach becasue YOU don't know the rules." OFC1 "I don't need a lecture on the rules from an Assistant Coach" ME: "Then you make the call, b/c our girls aint moving". OFC3 comes over and huddles them together. Our girls stay. And yes it had the desired affect of freezing their shooter as she proceeded to miss her second shot!
Maybe I shouldn't, but I absolutely love this sequence. Probably should have added a T for the mouthy assistant, but I still love it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:41am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Wife YELLS across court to first official "That is the same call YOU screwed up. Maybe you should take notes from this guy!"
Your wife is lucky she didn't get whacked for this one.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:42am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Your wife is lucky she didn't get whacked for this one.
Nah, she was shooting for the T here, or she wouldn't have followed it up like she did.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:44am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nah, she was shooting for the T here, or she wouldn't have followed it up like she did.
I know it, which is why the officials need to get the first one before she says something to get her tossed.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:47am
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,379
Which One of the Three Was I?

Oh, that's your wife. I didn't know that was your team last Saturday. Introduce yourself by your screen name next time.
__________________
Making Every Effort to Be in the Right Place at the Right Time, Looking at the Right Thing to Make the Right Call
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:56am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Forgive me board for I have "sorta" sinned. It has been......lets just say a long time since my last confession...
Intersting game Saturday. I actaully verbally criticized an official from my Assistant Coach perch!! Here are the plays:
1. V1 strips the ball, as it rolls on the floor V1 tries to pick it up but it keeps rolling. TRAVEL. "You can't travel if you don't have possesion" Ofc1: "Once she touches it she has possesion."
2. H1 drives to the basket V1 guarding. H1 lowers shoulder and puts V1 into the wall. No call. "Why was there no call? She lowered her shoulder" Ofc2: "They were running side by side when the girl put her shoulder down so no call". ME: "You might want to check LGP in your rule book at half time"
3. H ball. Deflection. H1 takes 2 dribbles in front court, crosses line, and one dribble in back court before returning. No over and back. OFC1: " She didn't have possession" ME: "According to you she did. She "Touched" the ball in front court before going to the back court" Later, same play, but V1 takes one dribble then steps in back court. OFC3 makes the CORRECT call. Wife YELLS across court to first official "That is the same call YOU screwed up. Maybe you should take notes from this guy!" OFC: "I know the rules. I don't need any help" "You don't know s*$%!" with a nice foot stomp for good measure.She got the T!
4. While administering the T. I direct two of our players to stand on the 3 point line behind the shooter. OFC1 blows the whistle and tells our girls to get back behind the line. I tell them to stay exactly where they are and don't tmove (The girls LOVED that) After some back and forth OFC1 tells us we have to move the girls back. I ask him why? He says it is the rules and if we dont' he will eject the head coach. I stood up and asked him in an even voice. "Are you 100% sure you are right? Because if you toss her, you have to send in paperwork. How embarrassed are you going to be when you find out that you ejected a coach becasue YOU don't know the rules." OFC1 "I don't need a lecture on the rules from an Assistant Coach" ME: "Then you make the call, b/c our girls aint moving". OFC3 comes over and huddles them together. Our girls stay. And yes it had the desired affect of freezing their shooter as she proceeded to miss her second shot!

After the game OFC3 comes and apologizes to me about the rules that were kicked. I told him that is fine, at the end of the day you can only be responsible for the calls YOU make and he made the right call on the OandB as well as the T administration. It also helped that we won after being outshot on the FT line by 35. Leading a double life can be so confusing!
How come all your comments came after calls/non-calls that went against your team? How come no plays where the Home team got screwed followed by you questioning their calls? Plus add on that you were an assistant coach and you shouldn't have been engaging the officials in any conversations nor should you have been standing up telling your player where to stand. (And don't give any cock-n-bull about sitting down during that sequence.) Your wife is the HC, why don't you let her fight her own battles?

IMO, the way you handled it you were just being a jerk. That's my take.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 25, 2011 at 12:05pm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:01pm
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
H1 lowers shoulder and puts V1 into the wall. No call. "Why was there no call? She lowered her shoulder" Ofc2: "They were running side by side when the girl put her shoulder down so no call". ME: "You might want to check LGP in your rule book at half time"
This one throws me a bit.

Just because the dribbler/shooter lowers a shoulder does not mean the defender has LGP. That has to be obtained and maintained. If they were indeed running side-by-side, it's kind of hard to obtain LGP.

Granted, you can still commit a player control foul without the defender having LGP (extended appendage), but I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" in the rule book. I think this one is a matter of judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
I would have warned your wife about AC comments at step one and then wacked you on the next comment whether you were right about a rule or not!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Why did they have so much dialog with this guy? Maybe they thought he was the HC & she was the assistant...
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:13pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
This one throws me a bit.

Just because the dribbler/shooter lowers a shoulder does not mean the defender has LGP. That has to be obtained and maintained. If they were indeed running side-by-side, it's kind of hard to obtain LGP.

Granted, you can still commit a player control foul without the defender having LGP (extended appendage), but I've yet to see "lowering the shoulder" in the rule book. I think this one is a matter of judgment.
Look up the part about maintaining it, not obtaining it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:23pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
IMO, the way you handled it you were just being a jerk. That's my take.
Agree. That type of behavior isn't something to be proud of, no matter how bad the officials were. It's unprofessional as hell. If one of our guys does something like this while he's coaching, we tell him to pick an avocation because we ain't gonna let him ride our officials, especially as an assistant coach.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:28pm
Go Blue
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
M I direct two of our players to stand on the 3 point line behind the shooter.
Fogive me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the players be behind the tree point line and not on it? I read a comment yesterday that if you are touching the three point line, you are considered inside the three point line.
__________________
"Well, what part of SUDDEN DEATH didn't you understand?" Feng Balls of Fury
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:36pm
Esteemed Participant
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Agree. That type of behavior isn't something to be proud of, no matter how bad the officials were. It's unprofessional as hell. If one of our guys does something like this while he's coaching, we tell him to pick an avocation because we ain't gonna let him ride our officials, especially as an assistant coach.
Gotta agree with this...not sure how Judtech's actions made the situation any better. And if I'm on this game, no way an AC gets to take that many shots at my crew.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:37pm
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Look up the part about maintaining it, not obtaining it.
NFHS 4-23-3? I don't see "shoulder" anywhere. Or did you mean elsewhere?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rule 6 3O enforcement - 20 second pitch rule wadeintothem Softball 5 Tue Jun 30, 2009 03:33pm
Rule 1, The Forgotten Rule TxJim Football 14 Thu Jan 04, 2007 07:02pm
How would you rule? greymule Softball 31 Wed Jun 21, 2006 03:15am
New rule Hawks Coach Basketball 9 Wed May 21, 2003 06:47am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1