The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:01am
Administrator

How to handle an assistant coach.

MTD, Jr., and I had a girls' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade game followed by the 8th grade game) last night.

Late in the third quarter V1 fouled H1 in the act of shooting, and MTD, Jr., made the call from the T. He reported the foul while I observed the players and made the switch from old L to new T. Before we could start shooting the free throws, V-HC moved out of her coaching box to a spot in front of the Table and started complaining to me about the officaiting (so what else is new, ). I politely told her that she had to return to her coaching box and then moved into my T position for the free throws. Immediately her assistant coach yelled: "She is in her coaching box." I gave MTD, Jr., the stop sign and moved toward the division line and told V-HC that we did not want to hear anymore from her assistant coach. V-HC immediately replied: "That was me talking." To which I replied: "Coach, I know it was your assistant coach because she referred to you in the third person."

After the game, the H-AD, who is also the 8th grade English teacher, runs the clock for both games, came into the dressing room with water and told us that he loved my reference to the assistant coach talking about the head coach in the third person.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I also love when the yell about a call and when you look at or address them they say they were talking to themselves. You can talk to yourself...just do it so I can't hear it!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
MTD, Jr., and I had a girls' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade game followed by the 8th grade game) last night.

Late in the third quarter V1 fouled H1 in the act of shooting, and MTD, Jr., made the call from the T. He reported the foul while I observed the players and made the switch from old L to new T. Before we could start shooting the free throws, V-HC moved out of her coaching box to a spot in front of the Table and started complaining to me about the officaiting (so what else is new, ). I politely told her that she had to return to her coaching box and then moved into my T position for the free throws. Immediately her assistant coach yelled: "She is in her coaching box." I gave MTD, Jr., the stop sign and moved toward the division line and told V-HC that we did not want to hear anymore from her assistant coach. V-HC immediately replied: "That was me talking." To which I replied: "Coach, I know it was your assistant coach because she referred to you in the third person."

After the game, the H-AD, who is also the 8th grade English teacher, runs the clock for both games, came into the dressing room with water and told us that he loved my reference to the assistant coach talking about the head coach in the third person.

MTD, Sr.
Doesn't the calling official stay at the table? Or do you guys do it differently locally?
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:03am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Doesn't the calling official stay at the table? Or do you guys do it differently locally?
Not when you're using MOMM (Modified Old Man mechanics) which is a technique allowed when you get AARP membership
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:08am
Administrator

Quote:

We switched on a shooting foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
That's ZM point, though asked incorrectly. 2-man mechanics the calling official on shooting fouls should be the trail on the free throws.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Again, this is not NFHS mechanics. If the T calls a shooting foul, the T stays the trail tableside. This was changed last season. I guess the question is whether your state or association(s) went along with this change.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Again, this is not NFHS mechanics. If the T calls a shooting foul, the T stays the trail tableside. This was changed last season. I guess the question is whether your state or association(s) went along with this change.
IAABO has not made this change. I don't know if Ohio is an IAABO state or not.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Too funny, I tried "Something" like that last nite. As we played (and beat the 3rd ranked team in the sate I might add) my wife was losing her voice. She was yelling for a TO but the official couldn't hear her. Since I actually do a GREAT imitation of her thick southern accent, I yelled for a TO and actually got the officials attention. He granted the TO then realized it was I who he heard ask for the TO and smiled. He came over for the "first horn" signal and told me my imitation was spot on!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I talked to a fellow official this weekend. During a recent contest featuring 2 ranked teams, he and his partner were so tired of the coaches in their ear after each shooting foul, they went back to the old mechanic of going opposite the table.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I talked to a fellow official this weekend. During a recent contest featuring 2 ranked teams, he and his partner were so tired of the coaches in their ear after each shooting foul, they went back to the old mechanic of going opposite the table.
Too bad they didn't just address the behavior rather than run from it.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
too bad they didn't just address the behavior rather than run from it.
+2413
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Heh. Last night we had one of the worst games I've had in a long time. 15 fouls in the first quarter, with the home team picking up their 10th with a minute left in the first quarter. In the end, I couldn't tell you what the losing coach was saying because I stopped paying any attention to him.

Personally, I prefer being across during free throws, but it's not something I really care about one way or the other.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Too funny, I tried "Something" like that last nite. As we played (and beat the 3rd ranked team in the sate I might add) my wife was losing her voice. She was yelling for a TO but the official couldn't hear her. Since I actually do a GREAT imitation of her thick southern accent, I yelled for a TO and actually got the officials attention. He granted the TO then realized it was I who he heard ask for the TO and smiled. He came over for the "first horn" signal and told me my imitation was spot on!
haha, excellent.

but be careful--impersonating's a slippery slope. you don't want to be sitting on the bench for a playoff game looking like this:

Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
IAABO has not made this change. I don't know if Ohio is an IAABO state or not.
Ohio is not an "IAABO state," though we have boards here. OHSAA uses approved NFHS mechanics.