The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

With the new enforcement issues surrounding the coaches box, I was wondering about the expanded role of assistant caoches...

Is there any rule stating that an assistant coach needs to be at the "head" of the bench (e.g. inside the box as well) or is it permissable for an assistant to be at the far end of the bench (thus being closer to call out plays, yell for screens, etc.)?

They are clearly out of the box, but since they are sitting, is this legal? Does their location in any way effect the head coach and his use of the box?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

An ASSistant coach has no box priveleges, restrictions, etc. He can call instructions from any seat in the bench, as long as he is SITTING. The only way his location could affect the head coach's use of the coachING box is if the ASSistant does something to merit a technical foul, in which case the head coach would lose his coachING box privileges.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

If the Asstant Coach starts the game at the far end of his bench and is offering instructions to his D, is it fair to expect him to be at that same end of the bench in the second half?

IMO, if he's coaching, I'm not giving it another thought.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
If the Asstant Coach starts the game at the far end of his bench and is offering instructions to his D, is it fair to expect him to be at that same end of the bench in the second half?

IMO, if he's coaching, I'm not giving it another thought.
Anyone's particular seat on the bench is not our concern. I wouldn't go so far as to let them change seats as the ball goes back and forth but I'd otherwise ignore it.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bullrider
[B I was wondering about the expanded role of assistant caoches...[/B]
What expanded role?

In the immortal words of our Comissioner & State Rules Interpreter, "Assistant coaches have no rights."

The coaching box rule, where adopted by State convention, applies to the head coach only.

As Camron said, where the asst. coach sits on the bench is irrelevant - as long as he stays put.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor

As Camron said, where the asst. coach sits on the bench is irrelevant - as long as he stays put.
I also meant to imply that the assistant, after being legally out of a seat (for a timeout, intermission, etc.) need not return to the same chair when sitting down.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I hadn't dropped by this board in a while and a ton of topics are flying by that I ran into last weekend, including this one (and the related one about the head coach/assistant coach standing thread).

I was working a varsity girls game with a veteran partner (former local prep star and WNBA player). One of the team's had two coaches and they alternated standing up and sitting.

I had taken notice of this briefly but being a relatively new official (4th year) and just getting some more varsity games than in years past, I was more focused on the game than the coaches.

However, my partner took control of the situation almost immediately, informing the team that only the designated head coach could stand. One reason for this was a veteran official was in the stands watching us.

After the game, the assistant coach mentioned that he wasn't aware of the rules. The assistant (within earshot of us as we still have a JV game to do) discussed with the head coach on how to best work the situation. They agreed that the assistant coach would "take a seat" with the players (as stated in some of the responses here) and coach from there.

I'm definitely taking note of this, as I see how varsity coaches try to work the rules to their favor and if newer officials don't take control, they will just run all over you.

Thanks to all for the comments. It's been helpful!
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Just for the record the NCAA does allow co-head coaches.

Rule 10, Section 11, Article 1

A.R. 14. A team has co-head coaches. RULING: Before the start of the game, the teamshall designate who the coach with “standing” privileges shall be. Both coaches shall be assessed all direct technical fouls.

The NFHS does NOT permit co-head coaches.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor

I also meant to imply that the assistant, after being legally out of a seat (for a timeout, intermission, etc.) need not return to the same chair when sitting down.
As did I...... :-)