The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Boys JV game. Team A is pressing B in their backcourt. B1 loses control of his dribble and kneels to pick up the ball. After gaining control with one knee on the floor with two defenders surrounding him, he stands up and begins to dribble away. I am the T and call him for the travel. B1 looks at me and bangs the ball to the floor. Ball bounced about 12-15 feet in the air. Bang, T on B1.

As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel, he didn't have control?" I looked at him and asked if he was the HC. He said no, I put my whistle in my mouth, took two steps back while looking at him, and began to put my hands in a T formation. He turned soo quick and went to his bench and sat down before I could blow my whistle.LOL I let it go and did not T him thinking he got the message.

Should I have T'd him up? What would you have done in this situation involving the AC?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 06:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Boys JV game. Team A is pressing B in their backcourt. B1 loses control of his dribble and kneels to pick up the ball. After gaining control with one knee on the floor with two defenders surrounding him, he stands up and begins to dribble away. I am the T and call him for the travel. B1 looks at me and bangs the ball to the floor. Ball bounced about 12-15 feet in the air. Bang, T on B1.

When B1 knelt to pick up the ball, that act of picking up the ball ended his original dribble. Then it's an automatic travel when he stood up off of the one knee. Even if he started a dribble on the floor and then stood up, it would have been a second, illegal dribble.

Bouncing the ball that high is an automatic "T" too imo. As for the assistant coach, you got the message across well on that one without having to resort to another "T".

Good job.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 07:21am
Administrator

Quote:

As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel, he didn't have control?" I looked at him and asked if he was the HC. He said no, I put my whistle in my mouth, took two steps back while looking at him, and began to put my hands in a T formation. He turned soo quick and went to his bench and sat down before I could blow my whistle.LOL I let it go and did not T him thinking he got the message.

Should I have T'd him up? What would you have done in this situation involving the AC?

theumpferee:

As far as B1 is concerned, you did good.

How you handled Assistant Coach B is a different manner. Whenever the ball is dead and the clock is stopped, I never use the whistle to assess a technical foul to a coach or player, unless I absolutely have too. In your case. I would told him he has a T and then report it to the table. By avoiding the use of your whistle and giving the T sign, it helps keep a potentional volitale situation from getting worse. And in your case it is a lot quicker and you would have been able to whack him before he turned around and slithered away.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Mark,

Perhaps a dumb question, but if you do not give a T sign or blow the whistle during a dead ball T, then how do you keep your partners informed on what's going on? I understand your point and I agree with it; however, I have had a few times this season where a partner calls a T (justified) but I am too far away to hear the actual call so until we start to move to a free throw line I just stand there because I really don't know wht he called.

If you call a T should you announce loudly why so your partners know or should you get together with them in a quick conference to inofrm them (assuming there's no fight going on)? Is this part of a good pre-game?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Good pregame, definitely. You should or another partner should always intervene the official calling a technical foul. This will help calm both the calling official and the entire set of players and coaches and also will get all partners informed of what the call. We pregame that if you partner calls a T you should intercept him before he reports to the table and review what happened and the procedure for shooting and putting the ball back in play.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
Mark,

Perhaps a dumb question, but if you do not give a T sign or blow the whistle during a dead ball T, then how do you keep your partners informed on what's going on? I understand your point and I agree with it; however, I have had a few times this season where a partner calls a T (justified) but I am too far away to hear the actual call so until we start to move to a free throw line I just stand there because I really don't know wht he called.

If you call a T should you announce loudly why so your partners know or should you get together with them in a quick conference to inofrm them (assuming there's no fight going on)? Is this part of a good pre-game?

Pregame, pregame, pregame. Whenever an intentional (personal or technical), flagrant (personal or technical) or any technical foul is assesed, the calling official and his partner(s) need to meet at center court for a short (10 sec or less) informational meeting.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think you handled the entire thing quite well. The first T sounds justified and you took care of the second situation without a T which is a plus.

Z
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

theumpferee:

How you handled Assistant Coach B is a different manner. Whenever the ball is dead and the clock is stopped, I never use the whistle to assess a technical foul to a coach or player, unless I absolutely have too. In your case. I would told him he has a T and then report it to the table. By avoiding the use of your whistle and giving the T sign, it helps keep a potentional volitale situation from getting worse. And in your case it is a lot quicker and you would have been able to whack him before he turned around and slithered away.

MTD, Sr.
I disagree -- there's a whistle and a signal on every technical. Just another foul, but I want people (everyone) to know it's been called.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
In a JV game, I probably would have whacked the assistant coach. They need to learn that questioning the officials as if you are the head coach is not allowed. In a varsity game, the first time I hear an assistant coach, I'm going to the head coach with, "Coach, I'll listen to you all night long, but I'm not going to listen to any of your assistants. If you want the privilege to keep standing, please help me out with them."

Something to that effect usually solves your problem.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As I go to the table to report the T, one of B's coaches is standing next to the table questioning me about the travel call asking, "how can it be a travel...
I'm thinking it wouldn't matter if it were the head or assistant coach here. What's he doing at the table fussing about a call you aren't going to change anyway? I think I would strongly consider whacking either one.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:57am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

theumpferee:

MTD, Sr.
I disagree -- there's a whistle and a signal on every technical. Just another foul, but I want people (everyone) to know it's been called.

Rich:

I agree with you to a point. Anytime the ball is live and a technical foul has been committed, I will sound the whistle, that just goes without saying. Lets say that I am reporting a foul on B1 and Head Coach B really takes exeption to me assessing a foul on B1. I will give him the stop sign and tell him that I am "whacking him." I do not think putting the whistle back in my mouth, sounding it and then giving the coach the "T" signal is necessary and in some cases will only make matters worse. Once you have told the coach, let your partner(s) now (even though I am sure they know what happened) so that they can do their jobs during this very stressful time for the entire crew.

Earlier this year, I had called a held ball between A1 and B1. I sounded my whistle and closed the gap from about 12 feet to 6 feet. A1 had let go of the ball at the sound of my whistle. B1 then dropped her right hand from the ball, made a fist, and threw a round house punch across her body connecting with A1's nose. I did not take the time to put the whistle back into my mouth. I stepped between the two players and told B1 that she was done for the night. I then told my partner, and then Coach B what happened before going to the Table.

I am not saying that an official to never sound his whistle for a technical foul, I just think that there are times when it is so obvious that sounding a whistle can just only make thinks worse.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
In my opinion, you did well in all aspects. Slamming the ball is an automatic "T" in my book, especially if it goes higher than the players head. As far as the Asst Coach, the look made him settle down and he got the picture. I have been told the whistle is an irratent and the more you blow, the more irratating it sounds. But it must be blown during a technical foul to alert your partners and/or the table.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to add, my initial reaction was NOT to blow my whistle. It was to see what the action of the AC was going to be. If he would have stood there and shrugged his shoulders or something, I would have just T's him at the table. My actions were to show him what was forthcoming if his actions persisted and to give him a chance to re-evaluate his actions.

Maybe I should have just T'd him up!?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

You did the right thing, you got the message across to him without having to penalize his players.

Good Job
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 01:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I would not T the assistant in this case. I would just tell him that communication is done through the HC only.

I also think that you should already know who the HC is, and respond to the AC accordingly.

The travel is the right call. The first T is the right call. Get in and get out without having another T.

I don't really like giving an almost T signal. People might interpret that you chickened out because he got the best of you: we don't almost put our arm in the air when there was almost a foul. We don't almost through our flag when there could have been an illegal block. We don't almost pull out the yellow card. It's either a T signal or nothing.