The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 06:07am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Based on the angles they show, I can live with what was called. The main issue I would like to see is if the arm was contacted before the ball. I cannot tell that the player from behind was not vertical. Actually it looked like the Georgia player might have backed up into the Tennessee player.

I took a closer look at the video, if anything the Georgia player grabbed the right arm of the Tennessee player. If anything was going to be called it should have been on the Georgia player.

Peace

Great minds think alike even if one of them is a Western Illinois and UMichigan fan.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As for the play/call. Looked right to me. The UT rebounder was jumping away from the basket.....not likely to be a foul on him unless he grabs the player in front and drags him back too.
That's what I saw too. White was surprised when a pair of arms reached around his head and rebounded the ball. Rather than grabbing the ball and getting a held ball, he started to grab the arm. The player shot through the contact and made the bucket. Good no call X 2.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:32am
Go Blue

Thumbs up

I went to a UG forum to see what they are saying and obviously they are 100% that was a bad call. I agree with you all that the Georgia player was pushing back and grabbed the arm of the Tenn player so either a no call or a foul on the Georgia player.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
True, in the rule book there is no "over the back" violation but there are times a push from behind during a rebound is an "over the back"/"through the back" foul; however, I have never reported a "over the back" foul at the table

I did have a rookie U one night that called "over the back" and used some weird mechanic I had never seen before or since not only did he use the wrong mechanic I don't think he was correct but he was Lead.
No, it's not over-the-back. When fans scream for that, they want the taller player punished for reaching into space (90% of the time). To even state "there is such a thing as over the back" is just flat out wrong; especially when talking to someone who's admittedly new to basketball rules.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Love the Frankenstein mechanics being displayed by the crowd.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
That's what I saw too. White was surprised when a pair of arms reached around his head and rebounded the ball. Rather than grabbing the ball and getting a held ball, he started to grab the arm. The player shot through the contact and made the bucket. Good no call X 2.
What I can't see from the one time I watched this, is whether the Tenn player "held down" the GA player. If so, that could be a foul. But, I'll defer to the officials on the game on this.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 09:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What I can't see from the one time I watched this, is whether the Tenn player "held down" the GA player. If so, that could be a foul. But, I'll defer to the officials on the game on this.
The Tenn player definitely held down the GA player, by using his upper arm against B's shoulder.

In fact, that upper arm not only hindered B's desired movement, it was the cause of B moving backwards. B's initial jump was straight up. After the contact initiated by A, B was forced backwards a total of 3 steps. In addition, A's contact even forced B's body to the left.

Yes A got the ball legally, that is, without contact to B. But after he had control, he's still in B's vertical space, and used his upper arm which prevented B from performing any actions on his own accord.

I've got a player control foul, go to overtime.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Was it the Boris Karloff mechanic?
Yep - you got it. I told him at half time that "over the back" wasn't a valid call and his mechanic certainly wasn't in the book. I tried to explain the difference between going over teh top of someone to get the rebound without fouling and a push from behind to get to the ball. I am not sure he "got it" but at least there were no other weird mechnics that evening
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Actually the correct call, by rule, without a doubt would be 3 seconds. Williams enters the lane at :07 ... I know, I know, we would never call it in that situation. But still, that is clearly UGA's best argument
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

as a newer official, i have to ask...would this have been called differently if this play had occurred halfway through the first half, instead of at the end of the game?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofficial View Post
Actually the correct call, by rule, without a doubt would be 3 seconds. Williams enters the lane at :07 ... I know, I know, we would never call it in that situation. But still, that is clearly UGA's best argument
I doubt that would be called in ANY situation ANYWHERE. Only a fanboy would ever dream of arguing that one.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
as a newer official, i have to ask...would this have been called differently if this play had occurred halfway through the first half, instead of at the end of the game?
No.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
And what would you call 10:00 in that didn't get called here?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:35am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I doubt that would be called in ANY situation ANYWHERE. Only a fanboy would ever dream of arguing that one.
Just asking to better understand in general...when should a 3 second violation be called? My general approach has been to give the players 4-5 seconds while verbally encouraging them out of the lane and only calling it if they stay camped out.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Just asking to better understand in general...when should a 3 second violation be called? My general approach has been to give the players 4-5 seconds while verbally encouraging them out of the lane and only calling it if they stay camped out.
I generally agree with this approach and use it myself. In the video, about the point you get to around 4 in the count, the three point shot goes up. So, about the time you would start to think about blowing your whistle, team control ends. It wouldn't get called at the 10:00 minute mark of the first half, either.