The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Stop game for injured player or not?

Hello,

Boys Varsity game... Score is tied at 42, with just under 1 minute. White A1 attempts a 3. Teammate, A2 (with two left feet ) falls to the floor. Teammate, A3 attempts to box out opponent B1. Shot is missed and team B gets the rebound to attempt a fast break. Once the rebound is obtained by team B, I notice that A3 is continuing to back B1 down, so that B1 can fall over A2, who is still on the floor. B1 jumps over A2 and A3 falls over teammate, A2. Since I see that team B may have an opportunity to score on a fast break, I do not whistle for A3 pushing B1. For whatever reason, team B doesn't finish the fast break and pulls it out. Coach of team A yells, "stop the game, my player is hurt". I immediately blow my whistle to stop the game . I turn and ask the coach, "Who's injured?" He points to player A3, who fell over A2. Now I have coach of team B all over me. He's saying, "You can't do that!!! I'm making a move to the basket". I turn to team B coach and simply say, "Safety first, coach". Needless to say, team B won the game and it didn't come up since.

Here's the question... Would you have stopped the game when the coach tells you that someone is injured? Why/Why not???

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

See this post for a comprehensive approach:

Player Injury
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Since B pulled out of their fast break and was no longer making an immediate move to the hoop, stop play. Had they been in the middle of their fast break, hold your whistle unless A3 is either bleeding profusely or unconscious.

That's my take.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacodee View Post
Hello,

Boys Varsity game... Score is tied at 42, with just under 1 minute. White A1 attempts a 3. Teammate, A2 (with two left feet ) falls to the floor. Teammate, A3 attempts to box out opponent B1. Shot is missed and team B gets the rebound to attempt a fast break. Once the rebound is obtained by team B, I notice that A3 is continuing to back B1 down, so that B1 can fall over A2, who is still on the floor. B1 jumps over A2 and A3 falls over teammate, A2. Since I see that team B may have an opportunity to score on a fast break, I do not whistle for A3 pushing B1. For whatever reason, team B doesn't finish the fast break and pulls it out. Coach of team A yells, "stop the game, my player is hurt". I immediately blow my whistle to stop the game . I turn and ask the coach, "Who's injured?" He points to player A3, who fell over A2. Now I have coach of team B all over me. He's saying, "You can't do that!!! I'm making a move to the basket". I turn to team B coach and simply say, "Safety first, coach". Needless to say, team B won the game and it didn't come up since.

Here's the question... Would you have stopped the game when the coach tells you that someone is injured? Why/Why not???

Thanks
Tie game with under a minute. I'm not blowing that one down until Team B "pulled the ball back out". If they wanted the advantage, they should have went straight for the basket on the fast break.

It is our decision when to stop by game, not the coaches. He also tells me when the other team fouls, but that doesn't mean we actually call a foul.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

On your play player A3 was by himself and you were not putting him in any addition danger...play on until Team B pulls the ball back out.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Since B pulled out of their fast break and was no longer making an immediate move to the hoop, stop play. Had they been in the middle of their fast break, hold your whistle unless A3 is either bleeding profusely or unconscious.
Correct. It has nothing to do with Coach A yelling anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all above, but would add - I'm taking a look back for the injured player, now hitting my whistle because the coach says he has an injured player.

Also, as the new trail in this situation, since you had players go down, I'd keep an eye to make sure everyone got up okay. Tough to do when you've got a break to officiate as well, but that's part of officiating all 10 players. In a 3-man game this is much easier as C and L would be able to officiate the break while T keeps an eye on players on the floor.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Also, as the new trail in this situation, since you had players go down, I'd keep an eye to make sure everyone got up okay. Tough to do when you've got a break to officiate as well, but that's part of officiating all 10 players. In a 3-man game this is much easier as C and L would be able to officiate the break while T keeps an eye on players on the floor.

In 3 man, as the trail, I move toward the player and stay with him until play can be stopped. That tells everyone, "Stay calm. See him. We're not gonna let anything happen to him."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
In 3 man, as the trail, I move toward the player and stay with him until play can be stopped. That tells everyone, "Stay calm. See him. We're not gonna let anything happen to him."
Agree. I have always stayed in the backcourt with a player down as T in 3-man, near enough to see if he/she is getting up and able to see the action to know when to hit the whistle.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
since b pulled out of their fast break and was no longer making an immediate move to the hoop, stop play. Had they been in the middle of their fast break, hold your whistle unless a3 is either bleeding profusely or unconscious.

That's my take.
agreed!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 08:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

True Team Player ...

Tonight. B1 and B2 bump into each other with B1 going down. Team A gets the ball and is moving upcourt with a five on three break. I stay with downed B1, as does B2. B1 yells at B2, "Don't worry about me. Get back and play defense". Really happened.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 10:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacodee View Post
Hello,

Thanks

dacodee:

A2 falling to the floor does not mean he is injured. Unless I have misread your post, I get the impression that you did not think that A2 was injured. And, if that was your first impression, then I would have had a foul on A3 for pushing B1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
dacodee:

A2 falling to the floor does not mean he is injured. Unless I have misread your post, I get the impression that you did not think that A2 was injured. And, if that was your first impression, then I would have had a foul on A3 for pushing B1.

MTD, Sr.
1. What does A2's injury have to do with whether you call a foul on A3 or not?

2. You're going to break up a fast break for B due to a foul that has nothing to do with the actual play?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. What does A2's injury have to do with whether you call a foul on A3 or not?

2. You're going to break up a fast break for B due to a foul that has nothing to do with the actual play?

Snaqs:

Read the OP. Look at the order of events:

1) A1 attempts 3-point FG.

2) Klutzy A2 falls down.

3) A3 attempts to box out B1.

4) A1's FG attempt is unsuccessful.

5) B2 secures rebound and passes to B3 to attempt a fastbreak.

6) A3 pushes B1.

7) B1 avoids falling over A2.

8) A3 falls over A2 and is injured.

First: A2 was not the injured player; A3 was the injured player. I misread the OP as to whther A2 was injured also.

Second: I agree, that A2 falling down does not prevent A3 being charged with a pushing foul against B1.

Third: To be honest, I do not believe there is enough information as to where on the court Team B had the ball when A3 pushed B1. I understand one's hesitation to call a foul on A3 during a Team B fastbreak situation, but unless Team B has an uncontested fastbreak, I would find it hard not to call the foul on A3. The only Casebook Play dealing with a foul by Team A behind a Team B fastbreak has to do with A-HC committing a Unsportsmanlike TF during an uncontested fastbreak. Casebook Play, states that the official can delay stopping the game for A-HC's TF until after Team B has attempted its uncontested layup. But a PF is a different situation, that does not lend itself to a delayed whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 08:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

By the time A3 pushes B1, B already has the rebound and is moving down the court. Just like most fouls after rebounding action is over, unless the displacement was significant or dangerous, I'm not calling the foul here. Now, you can argue it was dangerous because B1 had to jump over A2; but I probably wouldn't call this unless B1 actually tripped over A2.