The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

injured player

Team A shoots and misses, Team B gets rebound, A1 slips on floor OOB on A1 baseline, fast break going other way. Player off the court and does does not appear to be in danger at this time, Team B goes to bucket kicks it out and right back in and scores lay up. Blow whistle stop play, I have coach from team A attend to his player. This a HS varsity game. Looked in rule book for when to stop the game. Couldn't find anything. I didn't stop the game until A had the ball again because as I would observe the player down was getting to his knee and looking down court, not screeming and the fact that he went down on his own. Coach thought I should have stopped the game when team B kicks the ball back outside. Help here for an interpitation and where to find this in the rule book.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

So A1 slips, and showed no signs of agony/pain/holding a body part, thenstarted to get up on his own?

Play on... he's not hurt, he's just out of the play. Tough luck.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp
Coach thought I should have stopped the game when team B kicks the ball back outside. Help here for an interpitation and where to find this in the rule book.
I read in the NCAA rule book
Quote:
Rule 5 - Section 9
The game clock and shot clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:
Art. 7. Suspends play immediately when necessary to protect an injured player.
Art. 8. Suspends play after the ball is dead or controlled by the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play after a player is injured.
a. A play shall be completed when a team withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position.
If the injured player does not need immediate protection, what difference can a couple of seconds make? Would you stop the play and then recognize that the player actually was not injured?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:34pm
M.A.S.H.

I think you handled it correctly. If Team B kicked it out and put a shot up I would let it continue, however if they started to pass it around, etc I would kill it and let them (Team A) attend to their player.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, if Team B goes straight down the floor and makes an attempt at a quick basket, I don't stop play until Team A gains possession of the ball. If Team B stops to set up and run an offense, then I blow the whistle, and get the player off the floor.

How about this . . . your scenario . . . BUT, Team A player is still on the floor but barely inbounds. Team A steals the ball from Team B at half-court and comes down to try to score. What do you do and when do you do it?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS, found it, rule 5 sec. 8 art. 2
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

once team A regained possession I would blow the ball dead -- not fair to allow team A to get an easy score AND then stop play for them to attend to their player and set up defense if possible.

Also I usually ask player if hes OK -- sometimes you can tell hes not and the question is not necessary -- but plenty of times they are on the floor for a couple seconds get up and get right back in it.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp
NFHS, found it, rule 5 sec. 8 art. 2
Right and in the NFHS, if the opponent attempts a try for goal and misses, BY RULE, the official is supposed to blow the whistle prior to a rebound and award possession by the AP arrow.