The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sub on injured player

A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. A1 is injured and the coach is beckoned onto the court. Before A1 is replaced, B calls a time out and is granted the TO. (Don't ask me why B called a TO) Now the question, since the clock has not started, can A call a successive TO to buy A1 back into the game, at this point. The rule book seems to inclinate to yes, however I cannot find a case play that supports this.

Thank You in advance

CK
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
There's no rule that prohibits this---it's perfectly legal.

There is a relevant approved ruling in the NCAA casebook---I don't know about NFHS:

A.R. 53. A1 is injured and the referee beckons the coach and/or athletic trainer onto the playing court to assist the injured player. After the injured player is replaced, Team B requests and is granted a timeout. Play is about to resume and A1 is back on the playing court.
RULING: A1 shall be prohibited from staying on the playing court. Team B’s timeout does not make A1 eligible to return to play. Team A must request and be granted a charged timeout in order for A1 to remain in the game. (Rule 3-4.16)
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 07:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Yes; A can buy back in A1 with a timeout - that happens to be successive.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. A1 is injured and the coach is beckoned onto the court. Before A1 is replaced, B calls a time out and is granted the TO. (Don't ask me why B called a TO) Now the question, since the clock has not started, can A call a successive TO to buy A1 back into the game, at this point. The rule book seems to inclinate to yes, however I cannot find a case play that supports this.

Thank You in advance

CK
First of all, the time-out to team B should not be granted while there is a replacement of an injured player pending. That was a mistake by the officials.

That said, there is no prohibition on successive time-outs unless time has expired in the 4th quarter or an extra period.

PS Don't use the phrase "buy back into the game" because he never left the game. Use "keep in the game."
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Nevada, that official was me. 5-8-2a Note. Hopefully, I won't make that mistake again!

Thanks again

CK

P.S. I will use "keep in the game" , thank you.

Last edited by CK; Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 08:26pm. Reason: ps
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
There's no rule that prohibits this---it's perfectly legal.

There is a relevant approved ruling in the NCAA casebook---I don't know about NFHS:

A.R. 53. A1 is injured and the referee beckons the coach and/or athletic trainer onto the playing court to assist the injured player. After the injured player is replaced, Team B requests and is granted a timeout. Play is about to resume and A1 is back on the playing court.
RULING: A1 shall be prohibited from staying on the playing court. Team B’s timeout does not make A1 eligible to return to play. Team A must request and be granted a charged timeout in order for A1 to remain in the game. (Rule 3-4.16)

I was wondering about this, so this is the same as blood on the uniform, if the team of the injured player takes a timeout and the player can recover enough to reenter the game after the timeout they can stay in the game. Now if team A subs for the injured player and then still takes a time-out, the injured player can't re-enter until time has gone off the clock. If the player is injured at 6:06 in the 2nd quarter, he/she couldn't reenter until at least 6:05 left in the 2nd quarter. Is this correct?
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That is correct. No timeout is granted to the other team until the injury replacement is resolved with either a TO or sub.

If both teams have an injury, and want to keep their players in, both must burn a TO to do so. The TOs are run simultaneously.