The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just wanted to clarify. You're right that usually there's a try in the air which would mandate us to go to the AP in a situation like this....
...unless the shot is made, in which case B would get the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
...unless the shot is made, in which case B would get the ball.
Shh!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Just wanted to clarify. You're right that usually there's a try in the air which would mandate us to go to the AP in a situation like this.
Well, yeah. POI. Usually AP.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Over the years (forty to be exact), there have been a few (very few, 0.000,000,000,001% of them maybe even less) Casebook (NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's) and Approved Rulings (NCAA Men's/Women's) which I did not completely agree with BUT the 'blarge' Casebook (NFHS) and Approved Ruling (NCAA Men's) is absolutely and completely wrong. It canNOT ever be defended by rule. Either the defender has obtained (NFHS)/established (NCAA Men's/Women's and FIBA) a LGP or he has not.

Everybody knows how abominable I think AP is. BUT, how the NFHS and NCAA Men's handles a 'blarge' is infinitely more abominable. We, as officials, take ball watchers and officials who poach calls outside their PCAs to the woodshed, and yet you are taking me to the woodshed for pregaming a prevention to a bad situation. It should be noted that if I were evalutating officials a NFHA or NCAA Men's game in which a 'blarge" occurs and they handle it per the Casebook/Approved Ruling I would not downgrade them because they handled correctly by rule, but I would advise them on how to pregame 'barges' out of existence as well as to why ball watching and poaching calls out of one's PCA can create cluster **** like "blarges'.

'Blarges' happen because, 99.999,999,999,999% of the time, the second whistle is by an official who is not officiating his PCA and 99.999,999,999,999% of the time his call is not correct because he is officiating out of his PCA and he does not get a good look at the play.
Do you really think that just because you don't like or agree with a very plainly written RULE, we should all forget about that RULE and do what you think you should be done? Do you have any idea just how ridiculous that concept is?

Mark, I could give a damn less what YOU disagree with. Your OPINION is absolutely meaningless. And it's not only meaningless, it's absurd because it goes directly against plainly written rules. I saw several blarges last year in D1 games and I've already seen a couple of them this year in D1 games also. And between D1 big dawgs too. Yes,blarges shouldn't happen. But unfortunately they do happen sometimes. And they can happen to all of us too. And when they do, we have RULES on how we're supposed to handle them. And if we don't handle them by those RULES but make up our very own rules like you advocate, then we'll all be joining you doing girls eighth grade games in rural Ohio.

You stated above that a RULE can't be defended by rule. Do you know how truly idiotic in nature that statement really is?

Un-freaking-believable!!!!

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jan 17, 2011 at 09:37pm.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Do you really think that just because you don't like or agree with a very plainly written RULE, we should all forget about that RULE and do what you think you should be done? Do you have any idea just how ridiculous that concept is?

Mark, I could give a damn less what YOUdisagree with. Your OPINION is absolutely meaningless. And it's not only meaningless, it's absurd because it goes directly against plainly written rules. I saw several blarges last year in D1 games and I've already seen a couple of them this year in D1 games also. And between D1 big dawgs too. Yes,blarges shouldn't happen. But unfortunately they do happen sometimes. And they can happen to all of us too. And when they do, we have RULES on how we're supposed to handle them. And if we don't handle them by those RULES but make up our very own rules like you advocate, then we'll all be joining you doing girls eighth grade games in rural Ohio.

Un-freaking-believable!!!!
When we had our blarge, I ended up going to the coaches and gave them a brief explanation. It was easier to say, "There's a rule for this and my hands are tied," than it would've been to pick one foul and disregard the other.

I may pull out an unapproved mechanic from time to time, but I don't mess with the rules.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Going AP is in the rules because there are officials out there who would refuse to cede to the other official in this situation, but I think we should be allowed to talk and determine if one of us is simply wrong and then report that to the table. AP is the rule, but AP is flat-out stupid.
I can think of about 4/5 rules off-hand that I think that are completely dumb also, Rich. But that doesn't change the fact they are the rules and I don't get to make up my own to replace 'em. If you do something like that, you're just putting your own azz in a crack. Never call what you can't explain or justify.

Rant over. We now return you to regular programming(at least until MTD shows again with yet another 10,000 word filibuster as to why MTD Knows Best.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I can think of about 4/5 rules off-hand that I think that are completely dumb also, Rich. But that doesn't change the fact they are the rules and I don't get to make up my own to replace 'em. If you do something like that, you're just putting your own azz in a crack. Never call what you can't explain or justify.

Rant over. We now return you to regular programming(at least until MTD shows again with yet another 10,000 word filibuster as to why MTD Knows Best.
Same page as me (as you can see by the post above yours).
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
When we had our blarge, I ended up going to the coaches and gave them a brief explanation. It was easier to say, "There's a rule for this and my hands are tied," than it would've been to pick one foul and disregard the other.

I may pull out an unapproved mechanic from time to time, but I don't mess with the rules.
And I made the response above to your other post before I read this one. I had no doubt you were just too knowledgable to ever put yourself in the position of blatantly ignoring a written rule. You might get away with it, but if you don't.......

EDIT..geeze we're both agreeing with each other at the exact same time.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I made the response above to your other post before I read this one. I had no doubt you were just too knowledgable to ever put yourself in the position of blatantly ignoring a written rule. You might get away with it, but if you don't.......

EDIT..geeze we're both agreeing with each other at the exact same time.

I have decided that since I hate the rule that allows coaches to yell for a timeout, I'm going to ignore it from now on!

Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 10:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I have decided that since I hate the rule that allows coaches to yell for a timeout, I'm going to ignore it from now on!
That one has probably caused more headaches for officials than probably any other rule. I'd love to see it disappear. But I ain't MTD Sr so I guess I just gotta live with it.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That one has probably caused more headaches for officials than probably any other rule. I'd love to see it disappear. But I ain't MTD Sr so I guess I just gotta live with it.
I'm also open to other rules that I can ignore.

Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 11:21pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
You stated above that a RULE can't be defended by rule. Do you know how truly idiotic in nature that statement really is?
I do not presume to speak for Mark, but for those who may not know, he is merely pointing out the conflict between rule 4-7 and case 4.19.8C. This conflict, I believe, has been recognized by many, including some who say varying degrees of "That's what you have to do because that's what the case play says," which tells me that they agree that no reasonable person could have read the rule book and come up with this case play.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 06:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I do not presume to speak for Mark, but for those who may not know, he is merely pointing out the conflict between rule 4-7 and case 4.19.8C. This conflict, I believe, has been recognized by many, including some who say varying degrees of "That's what you have to do because that's what the case play says," which tells me that they agree that no reasonable person could have read the rule book and come up with this case play.
Nope, MTD is telling us to ignore the case book play completely. There's a heckuva big difference between saying a rule is illogical and saying we should completely ignore that illogical rule and instead follow the procedure that he just made up even though that procedure goes directly against plainly written rules.

Iow there's a big difference between tilting at the windmill and saying the windmill doesn't exist. One is a philosophical discussion; the other is just plain ridiculous.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

As some of you might know, in addition to refereeing I also am a Boys JV/Assistant Varsity Coach (make all your a$$istant coach jokes here) and if I'm reading what MTD Sr. has written correctly I would have a huge problem with what he suggests. If I'm the coach who's player ends up getting penalized after the two referees "get together" after a blarge, which I'm assuming we are all considering two opposing preliminary signals (1 PC or TC and 1 Block), I'm going to be a bit peeved. Furthermore, if I'm coaching in a Varsity contest and this happens I'm telling my HC what the casebook play calls for and if the game officials decide to make up their own ruling, then we would be playing the remainder of the game under protest (our league rules allow for protests). I have a feeling that the protest hearing would not go well for the officials who decided to set aside a ruling, especially if they set it aside knowingly.

Just my $.02