The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Things I hate

Officials that blow their whistle on my OOB call. Happens numerous times. Usually when I am the lead. Ball bounces in bounds near end line, going out but has not hit anything yet. Trail blows whistle. Why? Same when I am lead on right side of court, errant pass goes OOB sideline. I am clearly in position to make the call. Trail blows whistle prematurely. Why do some officials do this? I do not have a regular partner, do I say something to him and hope they don't do it again. It's not like it has an affect on the game.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 04:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Before...or After?

Rather than having to say something after the fact, how 'bout if you include "which OB lines we each cover" in your pregame--the visual aid of a court diagram will all the more seal the concept.
And while you're at it, be sure to cover which partner signals the three point attempt where outside the arc. That way the "having two guys signalling a three attempt" will more readily be avoided.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 04:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

You will have to ask those officials who you deal with why they do it. No one here is going to really know for sure unless they are doing it. And since I know of no one that does this other than having a complete brain fart or the ball is in the corner, my guess is no better than your guess.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had one game last season where I couldn't keep from doing this. The only explanation I have is that I wasn't mentally ready for that game due to showing up late because of traffic. I walked into the gym with 55 seconds left in the previous game.

What level games is this happening to you on a regular basis, because I agree with Rut; it's not typical at the high school level around here.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

It usually happens during middle school games. These are officials that do high school also. It only happens when it is clearly OOB and they think it the whistle should be blown but has not become dead yet.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
It usually happens during middle school games. These are officials that do high school also. It only happens when it is clearly OOB and they think it the whistle should be blown but has not become dead yet.
That explains a lot. Despite what people say about middle school, these games are often warm body games. Anyone that is willing to do them will and often can and you get what you get. I am sure that is not drastically different where you live as I am sure games at other levels are held on different nights and either the most experienced guys do not want to work that game or they are not very experienced. Just have a good pregame and talk about these things and hope it does not happen again. But if it does it is not the end of the world.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of Bounds Responsibilities ???

Over the past few years, our local board, and I believe, our state board, has switched from NFHS mechanics, to IAABO mechanics, without much fanfare. Rookie officials have only had instruction in IAABO mechanics. Veteran officials are only familiar with the old NFHS mechanics where the lead has the nearest sideline all the way back to the backcourt endline. As a result of this generational gap, and the confusion regarding out of bounds responsibilities, the following was announced at our last meeting, hoping to get everyone on the same page. Keep in mind that Connecticut is the "Land of Two Person Games".

When Trail is not across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline back to the division line.
Trail has nearer sideline, division line, and all three backcourt boundaries.

When Trail is across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline to the free throw line extended.
Trail has nearer sideline, farther sideline above free throw line extended, division line, and all three backcourt
boundaries.

During transition, press, and press break, situations, the Lead, hanging back to help, will have out of bounds
responsibilities on the entire nearer sideline.

How are other boards, or associations, handling these out of bounds responsibilities?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Well, if it's clearly OOB, it should be blown because the ball is dead. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jan 13, 2011 at 06:45pm.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like they think you missed it. Are you EXTREMELY late on your OB whistle? The only time I might do this is if I absolutely have no trust in my partner in a lower level game. Even then, to blow as the T on an endline call is unheard of.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Sounds like they think you missed it. Are you EXTREMELY late on your OB whistle? The only time I might do this is if I absolutely have no trust in my partner in a lower level game. Even then, to blow as the T on an endline call is unheard of.
If he's caught up with some post action and it goes OOB in the other corner, I might (as C or 2-man T) have a very late whistle on this. But it will have bounced a couple of times in the bleachers before I do it. Very rare? Yes. Unheard of? Not really.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

When Trail is not across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline back to the division line.
Trail has nearer sideline, division line, and all three backcourt boundaries.

When Trail is across the basketline: Lead had frontcourt endline, and nearer sideline to the free throw line extended.
Trail has nearer sideline, farther sideline above free throw line extended, division line, and all three backcourt
boundaries
Unless the official is tracking the ball such that they go all the way across the court to/near the far sideline, there is no way they can accurately tell if a player stepped or dribbled on the line or not unless the player stepped/dribbled WAY across the line.

To accurately call any close line call, the official must be in a position to look down the line.

It may not happen often in the backcourt situation but it not uncommon for there to be frontcourt sideline plays above the FT line.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whiskers On Dogs ???

Quote:
Things I hate.
It's this some kind of bizarro Julie Andrews song?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I hate when that little metal thing breaks on the zippers on our pants. Not the zippers themselves, but the metal piece you zip up with. You would THINK they would make them reinforced or something. I mean at least if the zipper itself breaks I can say, Gosh need to lose a few pounds, but when the metal tab thing breaks, what can you do? Ugh
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 08:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I hate when that little metal thing breaks on the zippers on our pants. Not the zippers themselves, but the metal piece you zip up with. You would THINK they would make them reinforced or something. I mean at least if the zipper itself breaks I can say, Gosh need to lose a few pounds, but when the metal tab thing breaks, what can you do? Ugh
I suppose you could carry a safety pin along with your inflating needle.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Oh I do, trust me learned the difficult way years ago.

And by inflating needle you mean............