The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I Hate...

I hate working with Vet official that don't know 3-person mechanic

I swear, regardless of how many seasons/yrs you've been officiating, if you don't know 3-person mechanics, don't take the game.

It sucks to work a 3-person game with two seasoned high school officals who don't know the 3-person game. You could be working for 30 yrs, state finals, or whatever, if you don't know the 3-person game, you're a NOOB.

What sucks more is when they are assignors in your association.

haha - nice day!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1

I swear, regardless of how many seasons/yrs you've been officiating, if you don't know 3-person mechanics, don't take the game.

It sucks to work a 3-person game with two seasoned high school officals who don't know the 3-person game. You could be working for 30 yrs, state finals, or whatever, if you don't know the 3-person game, you're a NOOB.

It's not good for you to hold back, mwan. You need to just cut loose and tell us how you really feel!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:18pm
Esteemed Participant

What is a "NOOB"???
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

noob = noobie
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

haha - nice day!
What were they doing that was so wrong, as to offend your sensibilities so badly?

I know this is your very first season officiating, but don't you think that you still should have straightened those NOOB assignors out post-game? What's right is right, after all. If those NOOB's truly wanted to learn, I'm sure that they'd listen to you and thank you for showing them the correct way to do it..
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's not good for you to hold back, mwan. You need to just cut loose and tell us how you really feel!
Yeah, holding it in like this is just going to hurt you in the long run.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hate is such a strong word.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I hate working with young, inexperienced officials, who although they have great mechanics and can run the floor, they couldn't call a cab in New York City!

We've got a trap at the division line and suddenly I hear "Tweet!" from the baseline. "Three seconds!"

A dribbler pulls up on the left wing, goes to pick up his dribble, fumbles the ball and then retrieves it. "Tweet!" "Traveling!"

Shooter drives the lane and puts up a shot. "Tweet!" "On the floor, on the floor!"

Gimme a break!

Given the choice of a young offiical who knows three man mechanics down to a T versus an experienced veteran official who's going to make the correct call, I'll take the old fart every ****ing time. Guess what? So will the coaches.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I hate working with young, inexperienced officials, who although they have great mechanics and can run the floor, they couldn't call a cab in New York City!

Given the choice of a young offiical who knows three man mechanics down to a T versus an experienced veteran official who's going to make the correct call, I'll take the old fart every ****ing time. Guess what? So will the coaches.
I'm with Mwanr1. For the life of me, I just can't figure out how they could give a seasoned, veteran, rules-knowledgable NOOB like yourself a state final.

But they did give you a state final though, didn't they, NOOB? Geeze, they must have been fresh out of first-year officials that day. They were probably all working the NCAA tournament or something. Or maybe working in the....wait for it....SEC.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:28pm.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

haha - nice day!
First of all calm down. Not everyone that has been around knows everything. Neither do many first year officials.

BTW, could you give some examples of what they did not know? Three man mechanics are not always an exact science. There are many variations and philosophies that might change what people do. The more you know all the different points of view, the better it is to adjust. Maybe they were doing things you are not aware of.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm with Mwanr1. For the life of me, I just can't figure out how they could give a seasoned, veteran, rules-knowledgable NOOB like yourself a state final.

But they did give you a state final though, didn't they, NOOB? Geeze, they must have been fresh out of first-year officials that day. They were probably all working the NCAA tournament or something. Or maybe working in the....wait for it....SEC.
Nah! They were all at CAMP!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

haha - nice day!
As a relatively inexperienced official myself (especially regarding 3-man mechanics), but one that really want to learn, do things the right way every time, and excel in the field, I think i understand where you're coming from. I worked my first varsity game ever the other night, and had a veteran official, but one who'd been off for about 5 years and didn't know 3-man at all. It was frustrating, because I really am looking for help and would have loved a veteran who could have helped in my mechanics as well as all the other parts of the game.

BUT, you have to make the best of what you can, and in my case the other official called a solid game and had some pretty good insight on why he called it the way he did. I didn't agree with everything he said and I won't incorporate it all into what I do, but a lot of it made sense and will be helpful. The important part was that he was willing to admit he wasn't up-to-date on the mechanics and actually asked for help, so I got to assert myself that way.

You may have been frustrated, but you have to look for the opportunities you have to learn. If it's a vet who's just "hanging around" and working the game the way he did 20 years ago - you know, the type that doesn't read up on the rule book and takes half the season to figure out the new rules and still wears his collared shirts - then you just have to do your best, take what you can, and get to the next game.

No use hating on people in a message board forum.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:53pm
Huck Finn

It is silly for someone who doesn't have experience to even have comments like this. I must say, it is even sillier for someone to agree with him. Sorry, truth hurts!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
It is silly for someone who doesn't have experience to even have comments like this. I must say, it is even sillier for someone to agree with him. Sorry, truth hurts!
I don't know if you're talking to me, but I think if you read my whole post you'll see I wasn't agreeing with him. I was encouraging him to look for what could be learned, even if his partner wasn't doing everything right.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I hate working with some officials too, and for varying reasons, like: they are consistently out of position, they have an IMPATIENT whistle, they communicate poorly, they THINK they never miss a call, they don't know the rules, etc. Those people really "chap my hide!" UH, wait a second . . . I think I just described myself for the first 5-6 years I officiated. Dang it!

NOTE: IF you aren't improving your game, you are losing your game. AND, trust me, those "old farts" as someone called them, have forgotten more abou the game in many cases, than you might ever know. For ME, I take every opportunity to LEARN something from anyone who can teach me. Sometimes that means learning what NOT to do as much as it means learning what to do. Just my take.